By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Anyone Ever Beat The PS2 In Hardware Sales?

Ps3_gow, never rely on online surveys. They are very dumb, as people can practically vote twice. (as seen with the vgchartz best selling 2008 game poll)

That survey doesn't represent the near 14 mil more people that have a Wii than a Ps3 and the over 7 mil that have a Wii than a 360.

Around the Network

Well Ps3_gow, you should prepare to be disappointed. (if it happens which is possible.)

Look, all we know atm is that the Wii will more than likely be the best selling console this gen besting the other 2 by a large amount. (moreso for the 360 considering it's already slowing down and the Ps3 is rising.)

I believe the DS will outsell it easily (unless they show the DS2 at E3)

Wii I believe will not surpass the PS2. I believe the Wii can not have the same longivity as the PS2. It wont be able to sell consistantly like the PS2 even when its generation ends.

I will surpass 100 mil, but I dont think it will go past the PS2.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

I have a suggestion to those who would throw in their towel with any company for long: don't, because all it takes is one slip-up to knock them off the top of the ladder. To quote the preface of Blue Ocean Strategy, "...there are no permanently excellent companies, just as there are no permanently excellent industries". This suggestion goes out to fans of all kinds: fans of Sony, fans of Nintendo, fans of Microsoft, fans of Square-Enix, fans of Capcom, fans of any company. It is my suggestion that you love the product, not the producer.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

PS2 Wii  
 2000 vs 2006  5.87 mill  3.25 mill  
 2001 vs 200716,53 mill 16,43 mill  
 2002 vs 200821.10 mill 25 mill projected minimum*  
 2003 vs 2009 18.6 m ?  
 2004 vs 2010 15.4 m ?  
 2005 vs 2011 17.2 m ?  
 2006 vs 2012 12.4 m ?  
 2007 vs 2013  9.5 m ?  

* Projected from the 7,418,002  units of Wii sold during the first 5 months of 2008. As a comparison, the PS2 sold 5,469,072 units during the first 5 months of 2002, which was it's record breaking 21.1 million year.

Around the Network

Bursche, now that is a good answer. It may not pass the Ps2. It might. Who knows?

But, 100mil is 100% in the making for the Wii atm.

DS with the greatest of ease. 

For the Wii:  Even if its lifespan isn't as long as the PS2's, it will still have the unusually extended life of ALL market leaders EVER, and considering that it is doing better than the PS2 and it still hasn't met demand in NA, it is going to pass the PS2's lifetime sales even if it dies sooner after the next gen systems come out.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Incidentally, for those interested, here's the breakdown of how the DS has done compared to the PS2, region-by-region and overall both.

Japan - While sales were slow at first, after about the first year and a half, the DS started to take off at a pace far outstripping the PS2, and it's currently approaching market saturation.

America - During the initial years of the DS, the PS2's comparative sales were much higher. However, around the end of 2006, the DS began catching up significantly, owing to the PS2's overall decline in America within the same timeframe backed with record-breaking high sales of the DS.

Europe - The two systems have been like an intertwining pair of snakes, constantly jumping over each other, for a long time. But recently, the DS pulled markedly ahead of the PS2, again owing to the decline of the PS2 in Europe simultaneous with a record-breaking peak of the DS in Europe.

Overall - Once again, the skewed launches make this less than perfect, but the overall market presence of the DS has been greater than the PS2 in the same timeframe. Had the PS2 launched simultaneously in all regions, the two systems would be closer to neck-in-neck.

So there you have it. The European situation of the DS and Wii is almost identical, while the American situation started inverse and is working towards the same point as the Wii is at, and the Japanese market has been slightly more receptive to the DS than to the Wii, so far.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

DS will, Wii won't.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Erik Aston said:
Soleron said:
Smashchu2 said:
The Wii and DS are right on track to do that. It will really come down to how long they last for.

They are tracking well above the PS2 on a lifecycle basis. It depends on lifespan. Remember, doubling the installed base from 60m to 120m doesn't net you much more in terms of software sales due to userbase diversity, so Nintendo will likely replace them when software, not hardware, sales drop.

Huh? That sounds like nonsense. Explain what you mean better.

I think what he means is that at one point, game sales will slope off . This being due to such a diverse user base that not everyone will buy the game. Or, that every game has a glass ceiling. Of course, it's impossible to say for sure.