By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Anyone Ever Beat The PS2 In Hardware Sales?

Do you think any of this generation of video game consoles will surpass the PS2? My guess is the Nintendo DS and Wii will come close but I dought they'll sell more then the PS2. 

Seem's to be unbeatable.

(Playstation 2 Hardware sales at 127 million)

Also

How long do you think Sony well keep making the PS2. Because the way the PS2 is selling I think that it'll still be going till atlease the end of 2009, maybe into 2010 and it'd probably have a worldwide sales of around 135 -140 million by then (If it last that long), and that'll be setting the bar much higher for the Wii and DS.

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Around the Network

DS will if they put out 2-3 more colors followed by another redesign...

The Wii and DS are right on track to do that. It will really come down to how long they last for.

Nintendo Wii

& Playstation 5

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Smashchu2 said:
The Wii and DS are right on track to do that. It will really come down to how long they last for.

They are tracking well above the PS2 on a lifecycle basis. It depends on lifespan. Remember, doubling the installed base from 60m to 120m doesn't net you much more in terms of software sales due to userbase diversity, so Nintendo will likely replace them when software, not hardware, sales drop.

Around the Network

I think the wii and ds will get there in the end...

The Wii will, it may even do so without needing big price cuts.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Wii, and whatever the market leader is from every gen here on out. The market is growing, and next gen even if the market leader only has like 45% marketshare it should still surpass the ps2's lifetime sales.

The Wii stilll has a lot cards.

Just remember: Nintendo, after almost 2 years is still outselling the competition by a large margin every month, and it's sellling faster than the PS2.

Both Microsoft and Sony already did cut prices, new colors, bundles with free games, free movies, etc.

Nintendo is still the same price. No bundles, no new colors, no price cut. If sales start to drop (and its not going to happen this year), they can cut the price or introduce a bundle with a free game like Mario Kart, SSBB or Mario galaxy. Or keep the same price and introduce new colors...

Nintendo still has a lot of cards. Sony and Microsoft already used all the almost all their cards.

The DS will.