By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Anyone Ever Beat The PS2 In Hardware Sales?

Ps3_GOW said:

Do you think any of this generation of video game consoles will surpass the PS2? My guess is the Nintendo DS and Wii will come close but I dought they'll sell more then the PS2.

Seem's to be unbeatable.

(Playstation 2 Hardware sales at 127 million)

DS maybe but I doubt that the wii will because it isn't future proof. Before I'm crucified about the graphic, my reasons are because: (1) Small memory (2) Major titles alredy released (3) Use of old technology (when HD adoption increases, wii will be left behind), hence, I think wii 2 will be released before the next xbox or ps iteration.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Ps3_GOW said:

Do you think any of this generation of video game consoles will surpass the PS2? My guess is the Nintendo DS and Wii will come close but I dought they'll sell more then the PS2.

Seem's to be unbeatable.

(Playstation 2 Hardware sales at 127 million)

DS maybe but I doubt that the wii will because it isn't future proof. Before I'm crucified about the graphic, my reasons are because: (1) Small memory (2) Major titles alredy released (3) Use of old technology (when HD adoption increases, wii will be left behind), hence, I think wii 2 will be released before the next xbox or ps iteration.

The PS2 wasn't future proof either.  Both the GameCube and XBox were way more powerful, AND NOBODY CARED.  At least, over 120 million people didn't care.  Same thing's happening with the Wii and DS.  PS3, 360, and PSP are way more powerful and possibly more "future proof," but nobody cares.

1) Has never mattered before

2) Nintendo is the world's biggest publisher and developer and has a whole mess of games left, and if anything, releasing a whole bunch of major titles early will help them have a better more diverse library faster, Wii owners aren't still waiting for MGS4 and FF13 for years and years, but more great games will come, Nintendo's not just gonna stop making games any day now

3) Old technology?  The Game Boy used old technology and opted out of color in 1989.  Old technology doesn't hurt a console.

The Wii and DS have a very good chance to.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

You all make really good points, and I just wanted to ask another quick question.

How long do you think Sony well keep making the PS2. Because the way the PS2 is selling I think that it'll still be going till atlease the end of 2009, maybe into 2010 and it'd probably have a worldwide sales of around 135 -140 million by then (If it last that long), and that'll be setting the bar much higher for the Wii and DS.

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

the Wii will make it for sure....

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

@Pristine

1. That is probably the shittiest arguement I have ever heard. Most people, probly over 85%, have no issues with memory including me. And Nintendo is making a memory solution as we speak, so your arguement is dead.

2. Nearly as bad as 1. Ninty has released huge titles, but not even close to all. There are thrid parties, dozens of new IPs, and still many more franchises.

3. HD adoption is increasing at a small pace. Nearly everyone in America that watches movies used DVD, not Blu-Ray, on an SDTV, not HDTV. At this rate, HD won't be adopted until the next decade. Also, just because something has inferior specs means it will lose. Just look at the past 20 years of consoles.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

The PlayStation 2's current market trend is something like this, according to VG Chartz:

2000: ~5,500,000
2001: ~16,000,000
2002: ~22,000,000
2003: ~17,750,000
2004: ~16,000,000
2005: ~17,250,000
2006: ~12,000,000
2007: ~9,500,000

The drop-off has been significant, but sales were following more or less a set pattern: three years of growth, followed by three mostly stagnant years, now followed by three declining years. 2008's totals will likely be somewhere around 6,000,000 or 7,000,000. The decline should remain pretty consistent:

2008: ~6,500,000
2009: ~3,000,000
2010: ~1,000,000
2011: ~250,000

This would fit more or less with the trends that products tend to follow. And of course, this is assuming that the system isn't discontinued before 2011 (which it may well be). That would leave the PS2 at lifetime sales of around 130 million sold to consumers.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sony has SOLD 130 million PS2s since April of '08

Pristine20 said:

Wow. "Future proof." Want to bring up how "Nintendo consoles always start out fast and slow down," too? As long as we're doing December 2006 arguments.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Slimebeast said:
Munkeh111 said:
I don't think the Wii will, but following consoles might as the market in India and China develop

M8, the Wii will beat the PS2.

Easily.

The PS2's record year sold 21 mill. With 7 mills sold already in 2008, the Wii is on track to sell at least 25 mill this year. And they haven't even upped the production yet...

The PS2 is still selling in its 7th year, I don't think the wii can last that long