By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Anyone Ever Beat The PS2 In Hardware Sales?

wii and ds will both beat PS2

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

@Ps3_GOW

That survey seems like complete and utter bullcrap.

1) It does not represent the population as a whole, just a small sample.

2) The teenager demograph is not that large. There are less than 30 Million teens in America. Probably 18 Million play video games. That means that about 12 million teens want a PS3, and some might not get it, so I think about 7 million teens would get. That would not boost aas high as you think.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

isnt the wii selling better than the ps2 did when it was released

Slimebeast said:
The Wii will outsell the PS2 in the proportion 1.5:1.

And it will outsell the PS3 in the proportion 3:1.

I have the same thoughts on both counts.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

The Wii's sales compared to the PS2 vary from region to region.

Japan - The Wii started out a bit lower than the PS2, but has gradually met and slightly surpassed its sales.

America - The Wii started out about the same as the PS2, but started to overtake its weekly sales consistently by a small but ever-increasing margin. Currently, its sales are approaching the PS2's peak sales levels in 2002, about 4 or 5 months ahead of when the PS2 got to that point.

Europe - Overall, the Wii's sales match the PS2's sales almost perfectly, until about 3 months ago, when they started rising even higher than the PS2's had been.

Combined - Although not as useful since the PS2 launched later in America and Europe, it does show that the Wii's actual time on the market overall has had a greater impact than the PS2's. This is more a case of availability in all regions at the same time more than of it truly outdoing the PS2 astronomically.

Overall, the system is currently a bit above par with PS2's sales in each region. It has a key advantage over the system in combined sales due to a near-simultaneous worldwide launch, but its success on a region-per-region basis is generally in the "above PS2" bracket right now.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

lots of denial. I just think people don't want to see the Wii pass the Ps2. I think it will be possible.

Munkeh, that claim about sales dropping off next year is so stupid. How could sales drop off when the production rate will be higher than 2008 for the entire year? Nintendo hasn't switched to 2.4 mil yet this year. Next year, they will be at the 2.4 mil production rate for the entire year. Wii will be able to beat it, i'm sure. We need more heavy hitting 1st party games and some good 3rd party ones also.

Ds, no question imo. It will. It will make 92 mil this year.

Blazinhead, that name describes you huh? That is even dumber. Wii's have been selling for up to 700 bucks on Amazon and Ebay since they are hard to find. (higher than the ps3) So, technically, while in supply constraint, Wii is more expensive than the Ps3 and 360.

fernando and rubang b practically hit the nail on the head.

Darthdevidem, i agree. The fastest selling console is supposed to fall right off the map I supposed.

dtewi said:
@Ps3_GOW

That survey seems like complete and utter bullcrap.

1) It does not represent the population as a whole, just a small sample.

2) The teenager demograph is not that large. There are less than 30 Million teens in America. Probably 18 Million play video games. That means that about 12 million teens want a PS3, and some might not get it, so I think about 7 million teens would get. That would not boost aas high as you think.

Ya ure right but I just wanted to join in on this off topic discussion lol

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

11ht11 said:
isnt the wii selling better than the ps2 did when it was released

yes it is selling better

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Gearbox, how old are you? 10? You are too young for the internet.

I guess Mgs4 will be doom for the Wii then. Gta4 didn't do it, so Mgs4 is supposed to right Gearbox? It's a pity how much in denial people can be.

It'll be interesting to see how it ends, I'm obviously a PS fanboy so naturally I don't want the Wii to surpass the PS2, but the facts are facts and it's definitely a possibility (the DS too). But somewhere deep in my head it says that the Wii will start slowing down within the next few years. (well that's what I'm hoping)

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58