By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ubisoft urges Sony to act on 'directionless' PSP

Ubisoft urges Sony to act on 'directionless' PSP

Ubisoft has called on Sony to act quickly to stop publishers abandoning the PSP as a viable format.

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, UK managing director Rob Cooper has said that the format lacks direction, with Sony unsure of how to market a machine he sees as over-priced and too technical for the mainstream consumer.

Ubisoft has no games planned for the PSP this year, but Cooper insists the format still has potential, so long as Sony can properly identify its audience and move the system out of "no man's land".

"Certainly, we still see it as a viable format. But we're not developing too many games on it until we get some direction. They've got to decide what they want to do with it, and come out clearly and say, 'this is our strategy, this is our process and this is how publishers can get behind it'."

"At the moment they are in no man's land, they're not sure quite how to tackle the DS competition and who is the PSP consumer. They've got to sort that out first," he said.

He shares his thoughts on the PSP, the problems with Wii consumers and why this Christmas sales period is going to be "vicious", can be read here.

Around the Network

the devs know that the real money is made on the DS

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Make games for the Japanese?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

^DS dominated that market,so it would be better to develop for DS

PSP2, every body put " I support PSP2" in your sigs.

PSP2 FTW!

PSP2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOO HOO!!!!!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

The PSP software sales are atrocious, but I don't think it's due to the format lacking direction. Indeed, it has many many directions in which it focuses, which is the real problem. What the system lacks above all else is focus on a single purpose. Consider the problem in terms of a tool: people don't want a game system, they want to play games. You're not selling them the system, you're selling them the ability to play games. But the PSP tries to be more than that right off the bat, which means that people see it as a multi-tool that's too complicated, even if it's not really.

The best way to implement non-gaming features is to be subtle about it. Make it clear that the system is a gaming system at heart, and don't even advertise its other features. It works for Nintendo, and it can work for others too. Though the fact that the DS has the handheld market in a stranglehold makes any efforts to set the PSP up as an ideal gaming system a rather wasted effort by now...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Call Ubisoft Defense Force Sony Defense Force.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Ubisoft: Casual audience is demanding more

The executive producer of Ubisoft's Games For Everyone range Pauline Jacquey has told CasualGaming.biz that young casual gamers are becoming more demanding – and pushing up the time and finance required for game development.

Speaking in an interview to be published exclusively on the site later this week, Jacquey said:

“When you’re reaching out to somebody who plays one or two games a year, it’s very easy. You don’t need to follow the rules of previous markets. But as they play more and competitors emerge, you have to rethink the way you do the games. The casual audience is becoming more demanding, for sure, and we need to make sure we’re proving more than what they’re anticipating.”

Wut? Ubi strikes again!

Strategyking92 said:
PSP2, every body put " I support PSP2" in your sigs.

PSP2 FTW!

PSP2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOO HOO!!!!!

PSP2 should release about 2 years before the next ninty handheld if it wants to have a chance to beat it in sales and to get more support

I think Ubisoft is trying to become the Acclaim of the modern age. Which isn't a good thing at all, as Acclaim and its subsidiaries LJN and THQ were (to put it nicely) not known for quality games.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.