By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New AFRIKA trialer(Online singstar-like community)

Griffin said:
twesterm said:
Griffin said:

Twesterm you choose the best looking picture for the game and it just has some small grass to hide the horrble lack of any textures the game has. So i went and looked for some screens to that safari wii game and this is what i found. I also found some pictures of the newest Zelda game and that unreal game you are talking about. This PS3 game blows these other games away in terms of textures, so i don't see how people can say they are all that bad looking, or even compare them to last gen games.

Actually, I just chose a random with elephants. I think I spent all of a minute searching and I have no idea why you chose to put some Zelda pics in there. Are you trying to prove to me that PS3 games look better than Wii games? If so, you went through a lot of trouble for something I already knew.

Just to get things straight, I'm not trying to say the Wii game or Zelda (again, no idea why that's even there) is better looking than Afrika, I'm just trying to show what the ground should look like in Afrika.

And yes, in those pics you posted the ground is pretty boring and flat too. But still, Afrika is a PS3 game and it should be able to do anything in the original screenshot I posted. This is something that was around un Unreal Tournament 2004 and I'm sure before that and you could plaster an entire map with that kind of stuff and not really affect performance that much at all.

-edit-

And noticed you posted an Unreal 2k4 pic too without the feature I'm talking about. I forget what exactly it's called, but what I'm talking about is in the terrain options and you just pic a static mesh and paint it on the terrain. That map obviously didn't use that feature.

The Zelda pic was just used as a comparison to show that the texture detail does not really matter in a game. Considering Zelda TP is one of the better games ever made. And i know what your talking about regarding the Unreal game.

But back to Afrika, why do you think this grass feature would of been left out for most of the map, in parts of the video you can see it being used, around the water and around the shrubs and near some of the trees. Would the adding of a massive amount of grass to the map caused a dip in performace at all, or is it just lack of time and resources for the development team.

The game still has about 80 days until release, is the grass something that could be added in the remaining time or are they are already passed this part of development?

There's about one to two months between release and when they actually finish the game.  So that means they probably, if I had to guess, about 30 days left and about 24 actual work days if I was being optimistic.  If I were being realistic I would say it's about 21 days left with about 15 actual work days left.

And again, texture detail is relative to the game.  In Zelda the low res ground doesn't matter as much because the game is lower res and isn't going for the hyper realistic look.  Afrika is going for the hyper realistic work so the ground just makes it look bad. 

Around the Network

Might be cool for some people. Personally not my type of game and seems rather boring. I'd just rather watch the Discovery Channel or Travel Channel; however, I think it's great that Sony is trying to do something unique and family oriented.

Good to see something different for console owners even if I'm not particularly interested.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

looks amazing, i really do belive it will be released on a budget bluray rather than psn

origional games like pain etc are a must for psn and this will come in as a refreshing change, i hate just rehashes like double dragon etc etc.

orig new games are far better, with afrika and wipeout, psn is looking great

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I smell a PSN download! 

But, I rather just watch Discovery channel in HD.

If it had some other Adventure elements to it,( like some conspiracy or something) then it might be very well worth the

Download.  DOES NOT NEED TO BE ANOTHER ACTION TITLE!!! It's just, I think that if it gave us a more of a reason to explore the environment, then it would be superb.  Needs several more months before release.  

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

@Feniris. I honestly hope it doesn't.

I'm sick of people trying to make every game have a narrative, usually videogame narratives are cheesy and cliched, I have never actually seen a videogame with a truly good plot.

Thats why I enjoy games with basically no plot (Pokemon Snap, Endless Ocean) or with the plot being almost entirely non-existent (Mario). I mean some games work with and require plots (all RPGs for example) but other types of gameplay don't require and quite simply shouldn't have plots. This is one of those games.

Around the Network

Interested.

The ground looks amazing.

PSN - hanafuda

twesterm said:
Griffin said:
twesterm said:
Griffin said:

Twesterm you choose the best looking picture for the game and it just has some small grass to hide the horrble lack of any textures the game has. So i went and looked for some screens to that safari wii game and this is what i found. I also found some pictures of the newest Zelda game and that unreal game you are talking about. This PS3 game blows these other games away in terms of textures, so i don't see how people can say they are all that bad looking, or even compare them to last gen games.

Actually, I just chose a random with elephants. I think I spent all of a minute searching and I have no idea why you chose to put some Zelda pics in there. Are you trying to prove to me that PS3 games look better than Wii games? If so, you went through a lot of trouble for something I already knew.

Just to get things straight, I'm not trying to say the Wii game or Zelda (again, no idea why that's even there) is better looking than Afrika, I'm just trying to show what the ground should look like in Afrika.

And yes, in those pics you posted the ground is pretty boring and flat too. But still, Afrika is a PS3 game and it should be able to do anything in the original screenshot I posted. This is something that was around un Unreal Tournament 2004 and I'm sure before that and you could plaster an entire map with that kind of stuff and not really affect performance that much at all.

-edit-

And noticed you posted an Unreal 2k4 pic too without the feature I'm talking about. I forget what exactly it's called, but what I'm talking about is in the terrain options and you just pic a static mesh and paint it on the terrain. That map obviously didn't use that feature.

The Zelda pic was just used as a comparison to show that the texture detail does not really matter in a game. Considering Zelda TP is one of the better games ever made. And i know what your talking about regarding the Unreal game.

But back to Afrika, why do you think this grass feature would of been left out for most of the map, in parts of the video you can see it being used, around the water and around the shrubs and near some of the trees. Would the adding of a massive amount of grass to the map caused a dip in performace at all, or is it just lack of time and resources for the development team.

The game still has about 80 days until release, is the grass something that could be added in the remaining time or are they are already passed this part of development?

There's about one to two months between release and when they actually finish the game. So that means they probably, if I had to guess, about 30 days left and about 24 actual work days if I was being optimistic. If I were being realistic I would say it's about 21 days left with about 15 actual work days left.

And again, texture detail is relative to the game. In Zelda the low res ground doesn't matter as much because the game is lower res and isn't going for the hyper realistic look. Afrika is going for the hyper realistic work so the ground just makes it look bad.

It's somewhat apparent that you where looking for faults in the game since you entered the thread , so for you it would probably ruin the game if the quality of the enviormental textures didn't meet that of the animals . IMO I don't think the ground makes it "look bad" as you put it , I just think it doesn't allow Afrika to achieve the level of "hyper -realism" that the developers are after.

Saying the game looks "bad" is an exagerration , I'd say it just  hasn't achieved it's full potential but it is still a very beautiful game .

No, it doesn't have to be a narritive.  just have some plot to it.  and I was thinking of a wide open, sand box like world. 

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

I remember when people thought this was gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10838.html

Look at the ground...

Slimebeast said:
I remember when people thought this was gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10838.html

Look at the ground...

I call that, a target render :P

Anyways, the way I look at it, the ground is not quite good making a bad contrast with the animals, so the claims about the beauty must be only to the animals, the enviroment is not there, yet...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."