By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ars Techina re-reviews the PS3...

They say it got smart: a 2008 review of the PS3

Here is the conclusion of the four page article:

A better PlayStation makes a better industry

We didn't give the PS3 much love when it first launched. Parts of the system plain didn't work, the online play was all over the place, and the software support was limited, at best. Multiplatform games played noticeably worse than their Xbox 360 counterparts. So many of us had a bad taste in our mouths from all the claims that the PS3 was going to completely blow away the competition, and that the only real high-definition graphics were 1080p. Sony walked into this generation with a set of claims that their launch hardware and library simply couldn't back up, and the company took a bad beating for it.

To Sony's credit, though, they learned. They slowly, but surely, addressed every beef gamers had with the system: the software lineup improved; developers learned how to work with the system; the price went down; Blu-ray won the format war; and the firmware updates kept adding value to the system. (Also, it helped that Ken Kuturagi stepped down, which was a good move. The man was a brilliant engineer, but anyone who believed he should be speaking to the public deserves to... well, to have Ken Kuturagi say crazy things about their products.)

Today Sony isn't simply playing catch-up; the PS3 has grown into a capable system that does almost everything the Xbox 360 can do, and many things even better. As a home theater box it's impeccable, and it's getting better with every update. As a gaming machine the lineup of exclusives is impressive, and more are on the way. Sony failed when it thought that it was unbeatable, and it rallied when everyone thought it couldn't be saved.

In the end, competition is a great thing. Every gamer, no matter what their system of choice, should be happy that the PlayStation 3 has become a worthy contender. Sony will make Microsoft try harder, as both companies fight to have the best games with the best features. The gaming world is better with a PlayStation product in it, and Sony has proven that it's folly to underestimate its tenacity and power in the gaming space.
The Good

* The best Blu-ray player on the market
* Rock solid hardware with a minimal defect rate
* Excellent media functions across the board
* Dual Shock 3 is a great controller, with many options for creative developers
* Online store has no upper limit on size of games
* Storage is a snap to upgrade
* Excellent convergence with the PlayStation Portable
* An ever-increasing library of exclusives
* Home could make great strides in online gaming

The Bad

* Home has seen too many delays
* Online play still doesn't measure up to Xbox
* Backwards compatibility seems to be going the way of the dodo in newer models
* Focus on media could take away from gaming aspects of the system

The Ugly

* Don't think that numerical scores are coming back, but since we're re-rating the hardware, I thought we'd take them out for one last hurrah, since these days the PS3 gets a...

Score: 9

I just wish they would've waited 1-2 weeks for the 2.40 update, which will include in-game XMB, among many other things.

Around the Network

9 isn't bad at all. The best thing is that we have frequent fimware updates to make it even better

I generally agree with this review. The one exception to that agreement is the implication through "ever-increasing library of exclusives" that the PS3 has a solid number of high-quality exclusives.

At this stage it doesn't have those exclusives yet, and MGS4 alone (massive as it is, its from a niche genre) wont fix that.

But they are right about the PS3's media capabilities. I was messing around with a buddy's PS3 the other day and its pretty nifty.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

makingmusic476 said:

They say it got smart: a 2008 review of the PS3

Here is the conclusion of the four page article:

A better PlayStation makes a better industry

In the end, competition is a great thing. Every gamer, no matter what their system of choice, should be happy that the PlayStation 3 has become a worthy contender. Sony will make Microsoft try harder, as both companies fight to have the best games with the best features. The gaming world is better with a PlayStation product in it, and Sony has proven that it's folly to underestimate its tenacity and power in the gaming space.

I just wish they would've waited 1-2 weeks for the 2.40 update, which will include in-game XMB, among many other things.

The most imprtant bits for me in the review i've highlighted.

...i wish they'd waited for 2.40 too...here's hoping the rumors about it being released damn soon are true

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

starcraft said:
I generally agree with this review. The one exception to that agreement is the implication through "ever-increasing library of exclusives" that the PS3 has a solid number of high-quality exclusives.

At this stage it doesn't have those exclusives yet, and MGS4 alone (massive as it is, its from a niche genre) wont fix that.

But they are right about the PS3's media capabilities. I was messing around with a buddy's PS3 the other day and its pretty nifty.

MGS4 isn't in a niche genre, really. It's just a niche game that defies genre conventions.  Otherwise, until the PS3 gets a ton of JRPG's it's a 7/10 to me. I didn't buy a PS3 to play 360 games on. MGS4 is a start, but Sony has a long way to go, to get me back in the ring.

Making Legend of Dragoon 2 would do in for me in one large swath, though. I would be like, "MmmmMmmmm Sony! Play b3yond."

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
starcraft said:

Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc. say hai!

And seriously, you're reading far too much into his comment.  All he said was that the ps3 will continue to get more exclusives over and above what it already has.  Take the aforementioned and add in MGS4, LBP, Resistance 2, etc.  The ps3 is recieving quite a few good releases over the next 4-5 months.

"ever-increasing library of exclusives" that the PS3 has a solid number of high-quality exclusives.

At this stage it doesn't have those exclusives yet

It has with Uncharted, Ratchet and MGS4(most likely) three of the best games of this generation. They may not be the highest selling games but they are awesome.

Besides Sony's first party developers include Team Ico (SotC), Polyphony(GT), Sony Santa Monica (God of War), Naughty dog (Uncharted2) and 99% sure future Insomniac games so the exclusives of the PS3 WILL include some of the best games at all. It is true that the frequent delays are annoying though.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
starcraft said:

MGS4 isn't in a niche genre, really. It's just a niche game that defies genre conventions.  Otherwise, until the PS3 gets a ton of JRPG's it's a 7/10 to me. I didn't buy a PS3 to play 360 games on. MGS4 is a start, but Sony has a long way to go, to get me back in the ring.

Making Legend of Dragoon 2 would do in for me in one large swath, though. I would be like, "MmmmMmmmm Sony! Play b3yond."

Surprisingly, if you look at Sony's history, Legend of Dragoon is the ONLY JRPG developed internally. 

Despite the lack of JRPGs, Sony Japan usually carries a lot of the weight for SCEWWS, yet this gen the seem to be damn near non-existent.  SCEA seems to be leading the pack now, with SCEE doing its part as well. SCEJ really needs to get off its ass.

At least we know Team ICO is up to something.  Possibly two somethings, should the rumors prove true.

makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:

Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc. say hai!

And seriously, you're reading far too much into his comment. All he said was that the ps3 will continue to get more exclusives over and above what it already has. Take the aforementioned and add in MGS4, LBP, Resistance 2, etc. The ps3 is recieving quite a few good releases over the next 4-5 months.

Based on Metacritic (which isn't perfect, but its the best we've got) the PS3 doesn't have a AAA exclusive (other than the very recent addition of MGS4.  This of course included Uncharted and R&C.  We are constantly getting the whole "just wait until all the PS3's big exclusives come" line all over the forums (which can FINALLY be put down after MGS4).

But whilst they didn't do it with XMB, it appears they HAVE included potentially good exclusives and the potential of Home in their score.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Funny rating.

The Good:
- BluRay
- Hardware
- Media Player
- Also some games

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.