By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40 GB PS3 to be Backwards Compatible in Oct. through Firmware???

Well that would be nice to do. I mean Microsoft is offering downloaded original Xbox games on the Xbox Live Marketplace. So Sony should do the same.

I don't know how it would work but I'm happy with my 80GB PS3. It might play a few PS2 games compared to the 60GB PS3. But surely all the games I want on the PS2 is playable on the PS3 80GB. So I'm cool like school with my PS3 :)

Around the Network

I'm confused now...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Good. Seems kinda stupid the 40g didn't have that in the first place since they had already switched to a software solution.

Maybe they were just waiting for the software solution to work as close to 100% as possible before they worried about putting it in.

I want know how well they can manage to pull it off because the Graphic Synthesizer's embedded RAM is faster than the PS3's RAM. That's the main reason for the 80GB's having the GS in the first place. The Embedded Ram in the GS had a 47GB a sec bandwith. The fastest RAM in the PS3 has 25.6GB a sec bandwith.

After looking at the way the 40GB and 80GB were hurried out the door by Sony, I think it was always in Sony's plan to come out with a full BC. In fact, I don't think they ever planned to be lacking it. Since they were under so much pressure to come in at a lower price point they had to release cheaper hardware even though the full software BC wasn't finished. What console maker in their right mind wants to come out with a version of their console with less features and cut the versions with more features so shortly after launch?

My guess is that the 40/80GB were meant to launch during the '08 holiday season and that software BC was to come out at the same time. The motherboard for the 40GB version might have been intended to be the new motherboard for all the PS3 versions. In that game plan, there would have been little to no drop in support for PS2 titles as well as a cost drop.

I give this thread a 9.6.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

Awesome, if this is true, I might just get a 40GB. Instead of the MGS4 bundle.

Soriku said:
Wow, way to skip over my post guys.

Let me restate it:

Uh...the source is from a random importer guys.

I'd have more credibility asking Wal-Mart when KH3 releases, meaning the source isn't credible at all...

I think "skip" and "ignore" do not mean exactly the same thing.

I give that post a 9.1. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

We know that sony is planning this (well they are stupid if they are not, and they have shown that in the past) and it is just a matter of time before they get it working properly

rocketpig said:

Ah, I thought they switched the output plug. Someone lied to me!

Waitaminute, it was the GameCube that changed the ability to use component.

*slaps forehead* 

Nope, because my GCN was a launch console and I can use component on it. It has a slot for it on there.

OT: It's about time they added B/C to the PS3 again. I hate it when companies cheat out their customers.

No, I don't think so. But if it were true then the $400 dollars for a PS3 wouldn't be so expensive for some.