By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40 GB PS3 to be Backwards Compatible in Oct. through Firmware???

According to this article the 40 GB ps3 will be backwards compatible come October due to a firmware update.  Doesn't matter to me because I have a 60GB ps3 (plus, I have a ps2), but I thought some might be interested.  Don't know if there is any truth to this or not.

http://playstation.ingame.de/content.php?c=79310&s=429

Quote:

As german site inplaystation.de reports, downward compatibility for the 40GB PS3 will be available this october via firmware upgrade. They talked to a Sony importer from germany who told them, Sony is going to release a new firmware which allows a fully software emulation of PS2 games.

Since Sony announced that they're going to offer downloadable PS2 games in PSN, this rumor sounds believable.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

FW 3.00??

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Wonder how they're going to do that since they lack the chips necessary to do so.

That would be f*ckin sweet.

i though they couldnt do that on the 40gb PS3, i have PS2 anway.

Around the Network

@DmeisteJ

You doubt T3H MIGHTY CELL!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

DMeisterJ said:
Wonder how they're going to do that since they lack the chips necessary to do so.

All they need to do is figure out how to emulate the GS. Last gen, ps1 BC was done completely via hardware at first, but by the time the slimline ps2 hit, they had figured out how to do it completely via software (and that was carried over to the ps3).  It was only a matter of time before they got ps2 BC working completely from software.

When did they announce donwloadable PS2 games?

right!!! and watch we'll be lucky if we see 15 fps with full software emulation.

Doubtfull about the release date but technically there is nothing that prevents you to fully emulate hardware through software. The only question is what kind of performance you would get..........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !