By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40 GB PS3 to be Backwards Compatible in Oct. through Firmware???

rocketpig said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@rocketpig

ofcourse there's nothing wrong but I as a launch buyer would feel ripped of..

I mean SONY lowered the price by £100 after 7 months of launch in EU...thats pissed me of a lot

But I am glad no new feature was added to the console at the same time..

PS2 slim...what extra feature did it have....as I cam very late to PS2 (late 05)

The ability to use component cables, for one.

What version first allowed that? My v9 Pfat PS2 runs on component as well. Was that a slim feature or did it come in one of the earlier versions? 

Personally, I thought it was always there. I don't think Slim added anything except for the built in ethernet port and inability to use an HDD without a mod.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Naraku_Diabolos said:

rocketpig said:

Ah, I thought they switched the output plug. Someone lied to me!

Waitaminute, it was the GameCube that changed the ability to use component.

*slaps forehead*

Nope, because my GCN was a launch console and I can use component on it. It has a slot for it on there.

OT: It's about time they added B/C to the PS3 again. I hate it when companies cheat out their customers.

That's because those rascally devils at Nintendo later removed the digital A/V port.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Duh duh double post.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Darc Requiem said:
I want know how well they can manage to pull it off because the Graphic Synthesizer's embedded RAM is faster than the PS3's RAM. That's the main reason for the 80GB's having the GS in the first place. The Embedded Ram in the GS had a 47GB a sec bandwith. The fastest RAM in the PS3 has 25.6GB a sec bandwith.

I'm not sure how they'll be able to pull it off either, but you and I know for a fact they always had the plan of selling PS2 games on the PSN, then again the way the Cell chip is set up to begin with could make the work load really really easy in terms of playing PS2 games, the embedded ram was in fact faster, but if they can find a way to dump all the games code on the SPU's that won't stall the PS3 from playing the games just fine. It'll be tricky indeed :P but it was always a factor for Sony so I'll just be dumbfounded when they pull it off XD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Darc Requiem said:
I want know how well they can manage to pull it off because the Graphic Synthesizer's embedded RAM is faster than the PS3's RAM. That's the main reason for the 80GB's having the GS in the first place. The Embedded Ram in the GS had a 47GB a sec bandwith. The fastest RAM in the PS3 has 25.6GB a sec bandwith.

I'm not an expert at this kind of thing, but I couldn't see how any PS2 game would require 47gb a sec bandwidth, I mean no game was ever bigger than a DVD in total. Sure the technical capabilities might have been there, but very few (if any) games would have made the most of it.

I reinstate, I am no expert on the subject.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Wonder how they're going to do that since they lack the chips necessary to do so.

Probably how 360 does it's BC. By painfully 1 at a time making sure games work.  Probably only the ones they want to sell online.

Isn't there already a PS2 emulator for PC? If so, you'd think Sony could port that to PS3...

Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Wonder how they're going to do that since they lack the chips necessary to do so.

Probably how 360 does it's BC. By painfully 1 at a time making sure games work.  Probably only the ones they want to sell online.

hopefully it can be like the PC system where games can just be dumped into a rom and some of them have problems but most work. The PS2 library is so full of great games it would be impossible to correct them all...

Also, they should get more PS1 games out first.

It's true PS2 BC is coming to 40gb PS3 -- however im not sure if it'll be ready by october. SONY annouced a while ago that they want to release a firmware update to add 40gb PS2 game support but for now they are focused on completing new features ( In-game XMB, Custom soundtracks, etc)