By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogame give MGS4 an 8

trestres said:
This is the feeling we, Wii owners, get after seeing a great game like MKWii or Wii Fit scored in the low 40's or 50's just cause the reviewers don't like casual games, or they don't know how to play the game properly.
There's always some morons around.

But MKWii is not even close to casual.  It's one of the most competitive online games I've played.

Around the Network

It's always funny to see people run to the defense of a game they haven't even played.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

The Ninja Gaide sponsorship may have not had a positive effect on the NG2 however they may have had a negative effect on the MGS4 score considering that both games come out in the same time period

Profcrab said:
It's always funny to see people run to the defense of a game they haven't even played.

QFT!

Most people read reviews to see how good a game is before purchase. Therefore how can you say how good the game is when you haven't played it but you disagree with someone who has played it.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Saw this in another forum where this same topic was being dicussed.

Originally Posted by SamuraiX-:
Reviews have changed. They're no longer about reasonable views, or objectivity. They're not even about independent thoughts, justification, or consistency. They're an endless series of pissing contests, fought by ignorant and egotistical journalists.

Reviews, and their vast consumption of human intellect, have become an irrational, depleted source of reliability.

Reviews have changed. ID-tagged journalists carry ID-tagged websites, use ID-tagged review scores. Illogical opinions inside their minds enhance and regulate their actions.

Hype control... Information control... Opinion control... Message board control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Reviews have changed. The age of journalism reliance is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from reasonable review scores. And he who controls the message boards, controls history.

Reviews have changed. When the message boards are under total control, mandatory criticism becomes routine.

Around the Network

I just read through the review and it came across as very honest and very positive. The reviewer was completely aware that the game is loved and hated, brilliant and flawed, and most of all that Kojima refuses to compromise on anything.

When reading, I got the sense again that MGS is one of the cooler series' that exists. And yet it is inapproachable for me because of its flaws and its refusal to recognize games as a media format that stand in their own right, without being movies also.

MGS may be many things, but at parts it is unquestionably intelligent.  I think the review is fitting.

EaglesEye379 said:
I cant wait for June 12 now. These people might be actually for once too busy to post all this crap.

Don't bother waiting.  I figured GTA would give us a temporary reprieve.  The thing is a bunch of gamers will go play and shut up for a while.  But the crazy fanboys can't stay away.

Why are people complaining about a single review score.All it is is a number thats pretty much meaningless(or at last should be) to you and I.If you are excited for this game and want to play it,thats all that should matter.Dont worry about games averages on gamerankings and metacritic.All their good for is for allowing fanboys to justify their taste in consoles and games.

To the people claiming Eurogamer are biased,just stop and think about how stupid you sound at the moment.You are actually making the people who claimed reviewers gave GTA high scores just to knock Nintendo down a notch,seem clever.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
bbsin said:

This guy includes some spoilers in his review, BE WARNED!!!

Anyways, It seems like this review has never been a big fan of MGS in the past. From what I read, he's basically saying that MGS4 has gameplay that has advanced alot from the previous MGS games but hasn't been changed enough for his liking. He also keeps bringing up that he thinks players that have always disliked MGS before will continue to do so. And he concludes with MGS4 including some of the most classic moments in gaming and "exquisite" game elements, he's glad that this is the end of MGS.

Oli Welsh's (the reviewer) entire review resume has been MarioKartWii (8/10), Army of Two (no score), a re-review of WOW and Pirates of the burning sea (no score). Based on his source history, he's pretty new at Eurogamer as his articles points to him joining the staff on February of this year.

That last bit about him being glad the series is over,totally discredits him as a fair reviewer.

Uh, no. It has nothing to do with him being a reviewer. From what I know of MGS4, it seems to be the logical end to the series, much like Halo 3.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to see a series end gracefully instead of being whored out for years. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

konnichiwa said:
Rocketpig works at Eurogamer?

Cute.

I won't apologize for not dropping to my knees and flexing my jaw muscles every time a big budget game releases and I'm sorry for you if that's a bad thing in your eyes.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/