By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gears of War 2 will bomb

It's not a question of how well Gears sells but of how many more 360 consoles than have already been purchased it generates sales for, and I just don't see it generating as many 360 console sales as the first Gears or Halo 3.

Around the Network
dbot said:
GeoW 2 will sell near Halo numbers. It will be the biggest 360 release this year regardless of the reviews. This type of game appeals to the 360 demographic.

How come the first didn't have Halo numbers then?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:
dbot said:
GeoW 2 will sell near Halo numbers. It will be the biggest 360 release this year regardless of the reviews. This type of game appeals to the 360 demographic.

How come the first didn't have Halo numbers then?

It did 5.25 million on half the install base and it was a new IP.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

It's going to do great but gears is not halo. At least it's not going to sell as many consoles.

I expect between 5 and 6 million as the first part

- Gears 1: graphically a revolution, the best shooter in a new console with few games

- Gears 2: not a graphic impact, the franchise is now bigger, but the 360 catalogue is bigger too

Lord_Yggdrassil said:
It's going to be huge. 360's biggest exclusive, even ahead of Halo 3.

I dont know about that...but I hope so

Around the Network
Kurakasa said:
z101 said:
Gow1 had the advantage to be the only decent shooter for the xbox. But to be honest, GoW1 has technically good graphics but besides of that nothing was really good about that game (lame graphic style, silly story etc).

GoW2 will be another shooter, nothing special.

Sure. You just don't like that GoW is better than your precious mario-games. Would it be that bad if the sequel would be better too? Maybe even sell more?! :D

Fail?  Gears is one of my all-time favourites, but it can't touch Mario Galaxy.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
disolitude said:
The only way it can bomb is if it lauches with a Wiimote like accessory and is only compatible with that...

lol!! the best answer in the thread!!!!

MS fanboys taking low jabs at Wii owners. Lol then you go crying in a thread about there being a lot of MS FUD. Suit yourself.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Part of the reason Gears 1 did so well was its well produced and massive marketing campaign. Anyone else remember seeing that "Mad world" (the song, not the Wii game obv) trailer daily? Even if you didnt watch much tv it was also played preceding the Christmas blockbusters in theatres.

If they have a campaign on par with that one--combined with the bigger install base--I think it will definitely outsell its predecessor.

Pairing great gameplay with great marketing=winning sales.

Gears of War shipped 4.7 million recently and we all know sequals on the same console majority of times sell less then first game.