By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and its struggle with multiplatform FPS visuals

@FJ-Warez

I think you are right.

With enough time and money I think one could squeeze more out of the ps3 than a 360 but as things stand now with the wii taking over market place and less money being pumped in to the HD(not to mention PS3 being at the bottom of that pile for at least another 2 years), we won't see much difference between the 2 consoles.

There are PS3 games that turn out as good if not little better than 360. However I believe people had the misconception that PS3 is a LOT more powerful than the 360 when it came out and I don't think this will be the case this generation.

Like statements that Uncharted is using 30% of the cell processor from naughty dog make me laugh now...

I'm not saying it is not using 30%...it may well be using 30% of the cell, while also using 100% of the available ram, video card processing and bus lines on the motherboard.

Around the Network
whatever said:
Once the PS3 catches and then passes the 360 install base, you'll see a lot more effort being put into PS3 games.

So that is why developers have been putting their best efforts on Wii. I mean its surpassed both the 360 and PS3 in sales....

disolitude said:

I was looking forward to Quake:Enemy Teritory and I caught the IGN review of the game. Seems like its a pretty average game and I most likely won't get it anymore...but if I were to get it which version would I get? According to the review, they are both mediocre in same ways except for one difference -

360 review

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/877/877173p2.html

6.0 Graphics
Occasional framerate drops and bland character models, environments and effects.

PS3 review

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877445p2.html

4.5 Graphics
One of the worst looking high-profile releases ever on the system. Bad framerate and bland texture work.

So this joins the list of I don't know howmany FPS games that came out for both systems and had to be delayed, or came out looking worse. Infact here is the list of the ones that come to mind...

Blacksite:Area 51 - delayed a month because of dev issues

Timeshift - delayed a month (dunno why)

Orange box - delayed, came out looking worse

FEAR - Delayed 4 months, came out looking worse

Rainbow Vegas 2 - worse frame rate

On the other hand, Unreal 3 which is coming out for 360 this summer seems to have loads of aditional features such as split screen deathmatch and 2 player campaign mode. I doubt it will look any worse...

Now you can blame the developers for being retards and not knowing how to use ps3...but come on, Valve...Ubisoft montreal, these are AAA studios.

I personally think Sony owners can officially stop expecting graphical dominance over the 360 in day to day games because its obvious that with the cell processor....what it gains with more horsepower, it loses because of bad architecture that leads to difficult optimazation of the hardware. As I bought a PS3 recently, I still have that WOW factor around the system...but its becoming clear to me its not really any more powerful than the 360.

Sure, an exclusive title may eventually look pretty impressive...but I imagine this is because sony is pumping insane amounts of money in to their exclusives. Whats Killzone 2's tab this days?

Whats your take on why this is happening?

Do you understand the porting process at all?  Games developed on, and for the PS3 hardware all run very well.  Look at Resistance and CoD4, these games were made for the PS3 from the ground up.  They did not take 360/PC code and port it to the PS3.  The PS3 is very difficult to port games on not only because of the Cell architecture, but also because of OpenGL.  You cant just port DirectX games directly to OpenGL.  Some companies are starting to get it, look at Burnout Paradise and GTA4.  Both games are either equals, or near equals, and we are starting to see this more and more now that the PS3 has been on the market for 1.5 years.  Sony has been updating developer kits/tools, and developing game engines (PhyreEngine) for all to use.  Its getting better.

Valve did not port Orange Box, and Quake Wars was not ported by the same company that ported the PC version to  360.  Ubisoft Montreal, well, I dont know what the hell is wrong with them, other than they have had tons of problems with the UT engine on PS3.  Most of the games you listed had tons of other problems, ie bad story, poor mechanics, or re-hashed sequel.  The PS3 is fine, and when developers take the time to know the hardware, it is capable of the same visuals as the 360.  Frankly, I hope we are seeing an end of the FPS era and studios will start to diversify their products.    

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

It's simple.

PS3 needs VERY optimized code to look good.

Therefore games made first on 360 & PC are going to looke worse unless you throw a lot of effort into customizing the code.

That's why plenty of developers suggest you build for PS3 then port to 360... because the 360 runs all code very well instead of needing a demanding specialized code like the PS3.

However, as such. Expect any PC first franchise to likely suck on PS3 or at least be worse on PS3 then 360... since the console ports are more of just an afterthought to get a little more cash  

Kasz216 said:

It's simple.

Therefore games made first on 360 & PC are going to looke worse unless you throw a lot of effort into customizing the code.

That's why plenty of developers suggest you build for PS3 then port to 360... because the 360 runs all code very well instead of needing a demanding specialized code like the PS3.

However, as such. Expect any PC first franchise to likely suck on PS3 or at least be worse on PS3 then 360... since the console ports are more of just an afterthought to get a little more cash

Pretty much, though some competent companies like Bethesda will take their time to develop the PS3 version right even if the game is a PC game. Oblivion was an excellent port and I'll be expecting Fallout to be great as well.

Also, is this game using UE3? If it does that kind of explains it a little bit but also raises another question, since I thought the UE3 problems with the PS3 were over since Sony worked with Epic to optimize it (and also to release UT3).

Around the Network

@ FileBrasileiro )

no it doesn't use UE3 - where did you get that false impression ?

Quake is an id franchise (they produce engines themselves .. hell, they were the pioneers in engine developement long before Epic came around) and they clearly won't use an Epic engine. It uses the id tech4 engine.

Lafiel said:
@ FileBrasileiro )

no it doesn't use UE3 - where did you get that false impression ?

Quake is an id franchise (they produce engines themselves .. hell, they were the pioneers in engine developement long before Epic came around) and they clearly won't use an Epic engine. It uses the id tech4 engine.
 I didn't even know who the developer was, I was just asking because of all the previous problems the PS3 games had with UE3 prior to UT3. 

Kasz216 said:

It's simple.

Exactly. Direct PC ports will never be as good as code written ground up for the CBE architecture of the PS3.

Unless a PC port is coded specifically for the PS3 (like CoD4 and Oblivion), I really don't even see the point in buying it over the 360 or preferably PC version (if you have a half decent rig that outperforms the 360), unless you are restricted to gaming solely on the PS3.  

But ports in general are very bad examples on the "underwhelming performance" of the PS3. I would like to see Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, GT5 or MGS4 play the same on a 360 for a reverse angle comparison, but never will since they are only on PS3. 

Games that matter more : GTA IV, COD 4, Devil may Cry 4, Burnout Paradise City and Assassins Creed. All superior versions on the PS3.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Games that matter more : GTA IV, COD 4, Devil may Cry 4, Burnout Paradise City and Assassins Creed. All superior versions on the PS3.
Uhm No.