By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will be in front of 360 by November 2008.

Because if not then your VGChartz nickname wouldnt make sense?

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
No, 5.8m is far too big of a gap to close

With more readjustments that gap would be down to around a 5 million lead which MicroSoft claimed.

I don't know if Sony will sell 5.8 million ps3s by that time.....

And you are suggestion that if that were to occur that the 360 would just stop selling completely?

At some point Rock-on needs to lose his membership to this site. He's giving all the credible "analysts" (like Leo-J) at this site a bad name.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Munkeh111 said:
No, 5.8m is far too big of a gap to close

With more readjustments that gap would be down to around a 5 million lead which MicroSoft claimed.

Even 5 million is too much for the PS3 to close....especially in 6 months! It would have to OUTSELL the 360 by about 800,000 a month!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

While that day is certainly coming, I don't think it's coming in November. That's only in the 21-24 week range, meaning PS3 would have to out sell 360 by 200k + average per week. And that's just not even close to happening, considreing PS3 isn't even usually moving 200K in a week, thus it's hard to WIN by 200k in a week.

At this week's rate, PS3 will catch up in 179 weeks, or by Fall 2011.

But you knew that and are just bored and trying to get people all fired up.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
I don't know if Sony will sell 5.8 million ps3s by that time.....

And you are suggestion that if that were to occur that the 360 would just stop selling completely?

At some point Rock-on needs to lose his membership to this site. He's giving all the credible "analysts" (like Leo-J) at this site a bad name.

PS3 will sell 9 million in 6 months compared to 360 selling 3 million in same time period. MGS 4 and LBP sales will be huge.

I think it will happen in mid 09 after the 299-399 price point.But not end of this year,,,I see 2.5 million lead for 360 over PS3 by the end of this year

That´s a bold statement. Even if we assume the gap is only 5 Million it is nearly impossible for the system to catch up so soon.

Now, let´s look at our VGchartz numbers: The gap according to us is currently roughly 6 million units, slightly less. It is May now which means the PS3 has six months to outsell Xbox360 LTD to prove your prediction.

Well, that´s easy: 6 million units / 6 months = 1 million units a month. That´s 200k units a week in a month with a 5 week tracking period, which is more than what the PS3 currently sells. So the Xbox360 will have to sell (roughly) -30k units a week for the rest of the year...

Are you serious?

*slaps forehead*  Rock_On, you attention seeker...

It's impossable that the PS3 will pass the X360 in 2008.

So far this year (after the recent adjustments) the weekly average sales have been 190,000 for the PS3 and 138,000 for the X360. This translates into yearly shrinkage of gap by 3.7 million (taking Holiday increased sales into consideration). But 20 weeks have already passed of 2008 so shave off a million units and you get only 2.7 mill.

And since the current gap is 5.85 million, the X360 will still lead by a healthy 3 million units, unless something changes current sales trends. MGS4 will not be it. Halo3 and GTA4 teached us that software-on-hardware boosts are counted in the few 100Ks.

Btw, make sure you all go to this thread for your prediction set on record if you haven't already:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=25094

So, in 5 months the PS3 will outsell the XBox 360 by 5 Million units, even though the PS3 doesn't even average 1 Million units per month?

Is this the new math?