By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will pass 360 in Europe in two weeks time.

Dno said:

PooperScooper said:

It wasn't that long ago you guys were saying "the lead is 7.5mil and growing it wont catch up"

then at the begining of the year you were saying "It may have outsold it but 360 is supply constrained the lead is still 7mil"

soon (as in about 2 months) you guys will be saying "its still 5.5mil behind we still have america" and before the end of the year "it's still 4.5mil behind" and before you know it (Dec. 2009) "it finally caught up when it doesnt even matter now." with it still having 5 more years of life.

Wow it happened sooner than I thought.....

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
According to Sony they already have outsold the 360 in Europe.

Maybe you should read this article on gamedaily. They say Sony included more than only Europe in that number and are talking about shipped numbers. All in all they're probably pretty close to each other regardless of which definition you use.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-vs-360-whos-really-winning-europe-part-2-/?biz=1

Recently we posted a story featuring comments from both Sony and Microsoft about who's winning the console battle in Europe. Interestingly, both companies seemed to claim the lead in the region, but upon closer inspection it appears that the confusion – as we suspected – stems from how Sony defines Europe.

As was stated in the previous story, for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, the region is actually defined by "the whole of Western Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia."

GameDaily BIZ has now heard back from Microsoft and it's clear that their definition of Europe is much more straightforward.

"The issue of Europe comes through a difference in defining what Europe represents. Microsoft defines Europe as just Europe, whereas Sony defines Europe as the whole of Europe, Africa, Middle East and Russia. Microsoft counts 22 countries total for Europe and we count sold through units only, where we count the number of units sold through to consumers. Sony includes PAL countries within their definition of Europe and sold in units, where they count the number of units sold to retailers," a spokesperson said.

So who's really winning Europe? Well in terms of installed base, and going by Microsoft's definition, it seems that the Xbox 360 does indeed have the lead, thanks in part to a recent price drop and a sales bump from the release of GTA IV. That said, the Sony brand has historically been very strong in Europe and with hot titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet in the pipeline, Microsoft will have a tough fight on its hands in a region that it's admitted is a "swing territory."

European domination seems to have been delayed by one week due to adjustments. Domination begins two weeks from now.

Brand name is the key word here

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

cool

Around the Network

Just by launch of MGS4, who would know. =))
Though, Sony was saying, that they already outsold x360.. well anyway, now it will be and on VG. =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Skeeuk said:
tombi123 said:

Why has the PS3 caught up so quickly? Is the PS3 selling really well, or is the 360 just doing badly, or a combination of the two?

DISCUSS... 

its because more people worldwide want a PS3 and not an xbox 360 full stop, in the years to come ps3 will rocket ahead and i cant wait for that to happen.

You are my new hero! Yeah, screw the 360!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

ZOMG!!! NEXT WEEK PEOPLE!!!

The PS3 is 20K behind but outsold the 360 by 25K last week. So European domination is scheduled for next week.

SNAKE BRINGS EUROPEAN DOMINATION!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

tombi123 said:
ZOMG!!! NEXT WEEK PEOPLE!!!

The PS3 is 20K behind but outsold the 360 by 25K last week. So European domination is scheduled for next week.

SNAKE BRINGS EUROPEAN DISAPPOINTMENT!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

FIXED.

I just don't think it will sell as much as you guys predict to.

U an odd dude tombi123 odd perdictions too xbox will only b ahead by 2m after the end of this year and we are halfway through and the 360 is set to out sell the Ps3 worldwide this week =O?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)