By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will pass 360 in Europe in two weeks time.

Europeans clearly have taste, it's the place to be.. pretty women, nice fashion, football, the best beer and PlayStation.. what can a man want more?

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
Ajax said:
Europeans clearly have taste, it's the place to be.. pretty women, nice fashion, football, the best beer and PlayStation.. what can a man want more?
Preach!

tombi123 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Prodigy_BE said:
Everybody is like: blah blah Sony's end of year line-up is better than 360's, so it will sell more...

But you all seem to be forgetting Sony's (not so) secret weapon: blu-ray.

It's practicaly RAINING blu-ray releases and HD sets being sold by the bucketload. So come holiday season, lots of consumers are gonna buy into the next generation of home cinema, and lots of them will pick the PS3 for it's multifunctional capabilities.

So yes, PS3 sells a bit more than 360 now, and their end-of year line-up is better (not THAT much, but still), but on top of that, they'll win over film bufs

I'm not saying they'll catch up on 360 by the end of 08, but the rate at which they catch up, will only speed up from now on.

Not strictly true.

Blu Ray isnt selling as well as Sony would have hoped

Really? Got a link where Sony said that? 

Blu-Ray is catching on quicker than DVD was at the same point in its life. Blu-Ray is very successful at the moment. 

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/blu-ray-the-future-has-been-delayed/

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

PooperScooper said:
Everstar said:
Lol good for them ? still 6m behind the 360 though and like 700k in others.. =)

It wasn't that long ago you guys were saying "the lead is 7.5mil and growing it wont catch up"

then at the begining of the year you were saying "It may have outsold it but 360 is supply constrained the lead is still 7mil"

soon (as in about 2 months) you guys will be saying "its still 5.5mil behind we still have america" and before the end of the year "it's still 4.5mil behind" and before you know it (Dec. 2009) "it finally caught up when it doesnt even matter now." with it still having 5 more years of life.

oooo so true.

Good for ps3, bad for 360, awesome for wii, but everyone knew this was going to happen. i still am gonna play all 3 of my systems cause i love em all but ps3 rocks!

colonelstubbs said:
Prodigy_BE said:
Everybody is like: blah blah Sony's end of year line-up is better than 360's, so it will sell more...

It's practicaly RAINING blu-ray releases and HD sets being sold by the bucketload. So come holiday season, lots of consumers are gonna buy into the next generation of home cinema, and lots of them will pick the PS3 for it's multifunctional capabilities.

So yes, PS3 sells a bit more than 360 now, and their end-of year line-up is better (not THAT much, but still), but on top of that, they'll win over film bufs

I'm not saying they'll catch up on 360 by the end of 08, but the rate at which they catch up, will only speed up from now on.

Not strictly true.

Thats because there is no supply on normal players. But the ps3 sales are up what 300% over last year. So come holiday will be the real test. Plus gas prices........lol

Around the Network

oh, the bluray is selling worst in february than in christmas. What a surprise!

colonelstubbs said:
Prodigy_BE said:

Not strictly true.

Dude, blu-ray is not owned by Sony. And it's not something that will take over from DVD within a year.

But it IS the successor. Not because Sony wants it to be, but because the film distributors want a new format. DVD prices are low, and piracy is rampant. And on top of that, they want consumers to buy the same stuff again.

And YES, I know, consumers are happy with DVD. But it will be forced upon us. Just as DVD was. This holliday season will see the first blockbuster movies that are releasd on BD first, and a bit later on DVD. And that balance will shift over time, so our industry has enough income to manage even bigger budget movies, and has less risk of going bankrupt when one of them doesn't do so well.

EDIT: by 'we', I mean the filmbiz (I'm employed at a production company)

Prodigy_BE said:
colonelstubbs said:
Prodigy_BE said:

Not strictly true.

Dude, blu-ray is not owned by Sony. And it's not something that will take over from DVD within a year.

But it IS the successor. Not because Sony wants it to be, but because the film distributors want a new format. DVD prices are low, and piracy is rampant. And on top of that, they want consumers to buy the same stuff again.

And YES, I know, consumers are happy with DVD. But it will be forced upon us. Just as DVD was. This holliday season will see the first blockbuster movies that are releasd on BD first, and a bit later on DVD. And that balance will shift over time, so our industry has enough income to manage even bigger budget movies, and has less risk of going bankrupt when one of them doesn't do so well.

EDIT: by 'we', I mean the filmbiz (I'm employed at a production company)

I....didnt say Sony owned Blu-ray. I just pointed out it isnt selling as well as Sony would have hoped considering they threw their full weight behind the format. It will pay off in the end though

But blu ray is developed by sony and pioneer thus they'll get the license money.

Make your minds up people!