By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people keep defending PS3 sales?

If anyone thinks the PS3 is going the way of the Dreamcast... they are delusional.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Its-a-me said:
omgwtfbbq said:
if the PS3 sales weren't bad then no one would have to defend them. I don't see anyone defending Wii's sales.

The truth is PS3 is the slowest selling system since the Dreamcast, and we all know how that turned out.

It actually isn't selling as slow as the Dreamcast, it's more like the GC (Chart).

The Gamecube doesn't have any "Total Other's" data, and the Dreamcast doesn't have any "North American" or "Total Other's". Basically, the PS3 is performing as well worldwide as the Gamecube performed in North America and Japan; that's not exactly all that great ...

Its-a-me said:
omgwtfbbq said:
if the PS3 sales weren't bad then no one would have to defend them. I don't see anyone defending Wii's sales.

The truth is PS3 is the slowest selling system since the Dreamcast, and we all know how that turned out.

It actually isn't selling as slow as the Dreamcast, it's more like the GC (Chart).

However that Chart is FUD. The DC sold 10 million WW by the end of its run. The PS3 si selling better though and is on track to sell around 20 million WW maybe closer to 30 million.

blowfish said:
Gballzack said:
theshoe23 said:
Gballzack said:

People only down the PS3 because Sony fans insist on forcing ridiculous conspiracy theories on everyone else around them.

These pro-Sony posts are just getting to be an annoyance and I can garantee you they're the sole reason that a forum for each company was created in the first place.

Seriously, look at the titles of your posts!

- “PSP and PS3 games, are they really that bad?”

- “PS3 not doomed in Japan!”

- “Developers praise PS3’s Superior Power!”

- “How much will the PS3’s price cut be, and when?”

- “Playstation 3 = Most Exclusive Games! 100+”

- “PS2-PS3, same story!”

- “PS3 strengths: Grand Tsurismo 5”

- “Sony games at E3! Yaaaahh!”

- “Sony Love thread”

- “IGN Reviews PS3 upscalling games”

Your pathetic excuses for Sony are either one of the following:

a) This is exactly what Sony wanted
b) There's no shame in Sony being the underdog
c) Sony isn't the underdog
d) Sony will make a comeback
e) Sony has the better games. Just look at these handful of no-name games no one has ever hear of, obviously Sony has the best line up.
f) Sony is for adults because adults obviously like games targeted towards the 13 year old boy / fratboy demographic.
g) The PS2 is still kicking ass!
h) The PSP isn't sucking as much as the PS3 is!
i) Even though Ps3 is losing, Blu-Ray is still winning... relatively...
j) Sony has the superior Grafx! ZOMFG!
k) Sony's potential hasn't even been touched yet.
L) MGS4
M) FFXIII
N) PS3 fans are the majority even though the console is the minority (yeah, figure that one out)

Seriously, is there no end to your pathetic excuses and childish logic? And what's worse is you have the compulsive need to attack anyone that doesn't think the PS3 is the future. You're just a bunch of damn fanboys in withdrawl from not being #1 for the first time in twelve years. Stop making your problem everyone elses Problem!!!

Like I am even going to pay attention to someone who compares the PS3 (something you obviously HATE, not dislike) to the President of the United States. I mean seriously Bush isn't a great president but give me a freakin break!.

Example A: Sony Fanboy comeback: Lacking any concrete evidence to refute the gravity of the presented claim, the Sony Fanboy falls back on evasive counter attacks adressing silly and often times irrelevant matters. Most prevalent is attacking the original poster's character and integrity rather than adressing the issues presented in the topic.

It's fanboy morons like you that ruin threads. The ps3 has only just come out, it hasnt had a single one of it's AAA million selling exclusive games from last gen come out yet, yet people still bash the ps3 and delude themselves saying that despite the ps3 having the most AAA games still left to come out and the most room for price drops the ps3 is teh fail.

Example B: Sony Fanboy Defense Mechanism 8.1: When confronted with their system's failing sales Sony Fanboys will fallback on any number of excuses or justifications after the fact. Defense Mechanism 8.1 is the excuse that it is still early in the race (or more specifically, still within the first year) and its too soon to tell whether Sony is doing badly or not. Prior to 8.1 was Defense Mechanism 8.0: The excuse that the PS3 hadn't launched in Europe yet and was too early to write off its low sales figures. However, when the Ps3 did launch in Europe and things still didn't change much, Sony Fanboys began making more generalized open ended claims of it being too early in the generation to tell. This progression can be expected to continue in the forms of: Defense Mechanism 8.2: The PS3 hasn't even been out two years yet, give it some time. Defense Mechanism 8.3: The PS3 hasn't even been out three years yet, give it some time. and so forth and so forth.

Example C: Sony Fanboy Defense Mechanism 9.0: When confronted with their system's failing sales Sony Fanboys will fallback  on any number of excuses or justifications after the fact. Defense Mechanism 9.0 is the excuse that Sony's big name titles haven't even come out yet so its not fair to count its sales as being accurate yet. This is excuse is constantly revised after "system seller" after "system seller" is released and very few extra PS3's are moved as a result there of.

Example D: Sony Fanboy Victimization Rational: When overwhelmed in a thead or discussion where they are on the losing end of the battle, the Sony Fanboy will typically single out the most outspoken or active member of the opposing argument for attack. Pretending no one else in the thread (or forum as a whole) agrees with that one person and that they alone are the only troublemaker, the Sony Fanboy tries desperately to put the weight of the whole argument on that one person's shoulders in an attempt to compensate for the overwhelming majority of people against them in the discussion.

blowfish said:

It's fanboy morons like you that ruin threads. The ps3 has only just come out, it hasnt had a single one of it's AAA million selling exclusive games from last gen come out yet, yet people still bash the ps3 and delude themselves saying that despite the ps3 having the most AAA games still left to come out and the most room for price drops the ps3 is teh fail.

I suggest you take a step back and look at the situation differently : imagine you time travel one year back and predict the Wii would have sold 7.72 and the PS2 3.32 on May 2007 (and Xbox360 had maintained or growed the gap). What would most of the people (if not everybody) have called you ? a "fool", a "happy Nin dreamer", and so worth...

You can damage control as most as you want, but there is no denial possible to that simple sentence : the situation is catastrophic !

I made a post 5 monthes ago on B3d urging for a massive price drop of the PS3 (at least 200 $). As for now, this is IMO too late !

Why ?
- Nintendo is back and Microsoft is much more stronger than first attempt.
- The media Hub strategy is IMO complete failure. As time goes on, with Apple, Samsung and others starting to "enter" this market, the PS3 will be given strong competition.
- What is the first idea people have on this console : "expensive", and often, "too expensive". This will be for the entire life of this device. Once this is set up, you need tremendous efforts to change an image ...
- The game developers have had 6 monthes to see what current trends are, and where user bases will be in one or 2 years. These 6 monthes will drive the next 3 to 5 years of the industry. The time where Sony gets all the exclusives is definitely done.

These 4 arguments have been discussed and detailed very often, so there is no need to detail them more here.

Each one of these should be beaten with tremendous efforts from Sony, there is no doubt.

All taken into account, this simply un-over-takenable. All what Sony can do now is to damage control to the end of this gen (and not lose too much money).

If you stick to the romantic idea that the developers will be faithful to Sony (for what reason ?), you make a big mistake and you will be disappointed.

This is well known and E3 will confirm it : at least, there are as more games actually developped for other manufacturers than for PS3 ...
So called AAA titles, as good as they could be, won't change anything to global sales ...

Around the Network

I really need to brush up on my Sony Fanboy Conduct Handbook. I lost my copy.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

blowfish said:

First off, you lose some of your credibility since you're unable to distinguish between a male and a female poster. Secondly, every single Sony fan claims that as soon as th "AAA titles" come out and the price drops the sales are going to miraculously take off. News flash, dropping the price of the PS3 to $500 isn't going to magically make it number 1 in sales. Nobody bought the $500 PS3 so why would they buy the $600 one at $500? The reality is, $500 is still too expensive for a game console. Hell, $400 is too expensive for a console, that's why the Wii is beating the 360 as well. The 360 is far from doing badly, but if it were $300 it would be doing better than it is now. Instead Microsoft decided to release an even more expensive version of the 360, go figure. What Sony should have done was made the PS3 slightly less powerful than the 360, no DVD support, and no Sixaxis and sold it for $300. If they did this they would be dominating this generation as well, I think that's pretty obvious. They were morons, though, and the sales show that.

As for the AAA titles. I'm interested in seeing how well Lair does since all the PS3 fans seem to think this will be an AAA title. I hope it will be just so that we can witness the small bump that quickly fades away in the PS3 charts. Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil 5, and Grand Theft Auto IV are all on the 360 so those won't give people any incentive to buy a PS3 over a 360. That leaves FFXIII, MGS4, and Gran Turismo 5. None of those games are coming out until 2008. We're not even sure that FFXIII is an exclusive anymore, http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167864.html. MGS4 could be ported to the 360 as well, Konami can still do that even if Kojima doesn't want it. It should be pretty obvious that a huge amount of former PS2 owners who ditched Sony for Microsoft want that port, the demand is there. That leaves Gran Turismo 5, no argument there.

Nothing can save the PS3 any more. The question now is whether or not the PS3 will even make it to the end of this generation. Personally I wish the big titles would come out even sooner, just so that the Sony fans could see the lack of increase in the sales. Well, at least Lair isn't too far off.

"Example B: Sony Fanboy Defense Mechanism 8.1: When confronted with their system's failing sales Sony Fanboys will fallback on any number of excuses or justifications after the fact. Defense Mechanism 8.1 is the excuse that it is still early in the race (or more specifically, still within the first year) and its too soon to tell whether Sony is doing badly or not. Prior to 8.1 was Defense Mechanism 8.0: The excuse that the PS3 hadn't launched in Europe yet and was too early to write off its low sales figures. However, when the Ps3 did launch in Europe and things still didn't change much, Sony Fanboys began making more generalized open ended claims of it being too early in the generation to tell. This progression can be expected to continue in the forms of: Defense Mechanism 8.2: The PS3 hasn't even been out two years yet, give it some time. Defense Mechanism 8.3: The PS3 hasn't even been out three years yet, give it some time. and so forth and so forth.

Example C: Sony Fanboy Defense Mechanism 9.0: When confronted with their system's failing sales Sony Fanboys will fallback  on any number of excuses or justifications after the fact. Defense Mechanism 9.0 is the excuse that Sony's big name titles haven't even come out yet so its not fair to count its sales as being accurate yet. This is excuse is constantly revised after "system seller" after "system seller" is released and very few extra PS3's are moved as a result there of.

Example D: Sony Fanboy Victimization Rational: When overwhelmed in a thead or discussion where they are on the losing end of the battle, the Sony Fanboy will typically single out the most outspoken or active member of the opposing argument for attack. Pretending no one else in the thread (or forum as a whole) agrees with that one person and that they alone are the only troublemaker, the Sony Fanboy tries desperately to put the weight of the whole argument on that one person's shoulders in an attempt to compensate for the overwhelming majority of people against them in the discussion."

holy sh!t did you come up with that or was it on a site?

that is some true to the game real-sony-fanboy-shit!

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

News flash, dropping the price of the PS3 to $500 isn't going to magically make it number 1 in sales. Nobody bought the $500 PS3 so why would they buy the $600 one at $500? The reality is, $500 is still too expensive for a game console. Hell, $400 is too expensive for a console, that's why the Wii is beating the 360 as well. The 360 is far from doing badly, but if it were $300 it would be doing better than it is now. Instead Microsoft decided to release an even more expensive version of the 360, go figure.

That's probably Microsoft's insidious tactic to make Sony think their pricing is all fine and dandy. In result, Sony will not cut the PS3 price and both Xbox 360 Elite and PS3 will pile up on the shelves, while Premium and Core versions are going to sell like hot cakes.

I want to answer to deadhorse :

*Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil 5, and Grand Theft Auto IV are all on the 360 so those won't give people any incentive to buy a PS3 over a 360.

==> not RE 5 for the moment since I think we don't know on which system it is announced

*That leaves FFXIII, MGS4, and Gran Turismo 5.

==> you forget Uncharted, Ratchet and clank, Lair, Eyeofjudgement, little bigplanet, Silenthill5 (sill "more" on PS3 for the moment), Warhawk (is the beta not prefered to Halo3beta ?), and KillZone2 and Haze (time exclusivity at least for this year), AND HeavenlySword

*None of those games are coming out until 2008.

==> you re right for GT5, MGS4, FFXIII and killzone 2 (ok)

*We're not even sure that FFXIII is an exclusive anymore, http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167864.html.

==> Gamespot is antiPS3 (my opinion)
and I read interview (recent one) that was saying that no FF project were suppose to come on XBOX360 and that FFXIII cannot be make on Xbox360 (interview on Level magazine)
And for Silenthill 5 developpers say that Xbox360 and Wii are too limiting but that if PS3 don't sell enought they will make a multiplateform

*MGS4 could be ported to the 360 as well, Konami can still do that even if Kojima doesn't want it.

==> you re right MGS4 could be a time exclusivity BUT the time will be 1 year !!!
(gamespot i think)

It should be pretty obvious that a huge amount of former PS2 owners who ditched Sony for Microsoft want that port, the demand is there.

==> why people are not able to count anymore ?
100M PS2 owner that is all
A lot of people are WAITING or playing GoWII

*That leaves Gran Turismo 5

==> considering ForzaMotorsport 2 it seems GREAT !!!

, no argument there.

==> well, maybe u, but not me,
In fact, Wii is fighting in another category and I don't want to talk too much about something I don't know since the console doesn't aim the same gamers
(since MGS4/FFXIII or others big game will never be ported on Wii except with big graphical change ...).
But concerning Xbox360/PS3 fight,
A lot of Xbox360 game are coming too PS3 or/and PC
so this console has a really few TRUE exclusivity
That is not the case of PS3 that possess more TRUE exclusivity (see before)
And, another point, I don't see Xbox360 selling verywell in japan
they don't have enought "typical japanese" game even compared to PS3 ...
Of course the question is :

Are all the news PS3 games coming worth the +200$ I have to pay to get a PS3 ???

And sincerely, before answer to this question, we have to wait :

E3 presentation and PS3 hypothetical price drop .........

This is the last chance for PS3

Note :
1/ I don't deny that Big N is back with the Wii, I don't deny that this console will maybe sell better than the 2 others too,
But i m not sure that Wii is a so big problem for the Xbox360 or Ps3 since they don't aim the same public
2/ sorry for my english ^^

Time to Work !