By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people keep defending PS3 sales?

if the PS3 sales weren't bad then no one would have to defend them. I don't see anyone defending Wii's sales.

The truth is PS3 is the slowest selling system since the Dreamcast, and we all know how that turned out.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

i dunno i wish there were sony fans on here who actually accepted the obvious current state of things. There are plenty of people like that on other forums like neogaf, but here everyone seems to think Sony is gonna pull it out. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your PS3, but stop reaching for every little bit of evidence, most of which are extremely biased and misleading. Wii fans do not use stuff like this for one reason: they don't have to, all the stats/stories tell the story. Yet PS3 fans keep clinging to things like a worthless exclusives list, famitsu's most wanted (debunked as indicator of sales so many times), and i see another post about how PS3 has more quality games (again, biased site).

Anyone will tell you this, enjoy your PS3, post about how you enjoy the games and the graphics or whatever, but reaching for every straw there is to make the PS3 look like it will be on top again, it simply is not going to happen.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

nitekrawler1285 said:
I would say a large part of the reason that people defend ps3 sales is because they aren't all that bad. Considering the price tag, which is at least 120 to 350 more than any of it's competitors it's still managed the adoption rate of the machine with 479-299 price tag. I for one think that's a victory in and of itself. If you look at the first part of the 360's chart and the ps3's chart you could just about line them up, and i don't see anyone biting microsoft for their sales with the 360 but sony no they are horrible.

I for one think that Sony's strategy with the ps3 will likely be very similar to that of the psp. I remember when everyone said no one was going to buy a 250 portable machine and now they have sold almost 22 million worldwide. Not DS numbers i know but comparing good sales to excellent sales always makes good look like it has something to be desired. But i would look for a price drop every year (just like with the psp so far) and for them to start releasing more nicely priced games , greatest hits titles and possibly a general markdown once blu-rays are less expensive to create just like with saw with their umds.

Not to mention that little beast the ps2 that Sony is still making money on as far as software and hardware are concerned.

Let me make this clear i'm not a fanboy of any system. I own a ps2 and used to own a gc, and have owned plenty of sega and nintendo consoles. I just don't understand the ps3 hate i see here. At least the ps3s don't break down and sony send people crappy refurbished machines that break often on the first day received (i do know that for a fact as i did 360 tech support for Christmas 06 and then some)Not to mention they way Microsoft loves to nickel and dime i still don't understand how xbox live flew. Since when except mmorpgs have we had to pay to play online? Hell after a few years of live service and a premium console it's more than a ps3.

Just to comment on soe of your points, because I like how you present your arguement yet I still think many people fail to look at this like a business. You can't argue it's selling well for an expensive system. The whole point of their being a smaller market for high-end products is that the profit margin is larger. the ps3 actually has the opposite scenario. I think for a product that gives away for free an extra 200 dollars worth of technology, it's selling poorly.

Too with the psp, there is nothing wrong with their position, but they didn't create a business model to have half the userbase of Nintendo's machine. They designed a system that blows the DS away in techonlogy, they took a huge loss on it hoping it would recieve the bigger portion of the pie. Nintendo actually created inferior machine, cheaper yet with an actual profit margin designed to succeed even if it failed to sell really well.

Forget about price for a minute, just think profit percentage. The product with a higher profit percentage is designed to profit off a smaller base. The company with the smaller or in Sony's case negative profit margin is designed to not only sell more but is betting on staking claim to the majority of the base. Not getting that is hurting them big time. Think of this too, last gen they had only the ps2, this gen they have the ps3 and the psp and combined they won't sell nearly as well as just the ps2. And they obvouisly combined cost far more than the ps2, so how can a company that expands it's product line and combined loses a percantage of the market be considered a success?(I'm not saying they are falling out the industry or anything but this gen Sony has taken a huge hit) 

People only down the PS3 because Sony fans insist on forcing ridiculous conspiracy theories on everyone else around them.

These pro-Sony posts are just getting to be an annoyance and I can garantee you they're the sole reason that a forum for each company was created in the first place.

Seriously, look at the titles of your posts!

-         “PSP and PS3 games, are they really that bad?”

-         “PS3 not doomed in Japan!”

-         “Developers praise PS3’s Superior Power!”

-         “How much will the PS3’s price cut be, and when?”

-         “Playstation 3 = Most Exclusive Games! 100+”

-         “PS2-PS3, same story!”

-         “PS3 strengths: Grand Tsurismo 5”

-         “Sony games at E3! Yaaaahh!”

-         “Sony Love thread”

-         “IGN Reviews PS3 upscalling games”

Your pathetic excuses for Sony are either one of the following:

a) This is exactly what Sony wanted
b) There's no shame in Sony being the underdog
c) Sony isn't the underdog
d) Sony will make a comeback
e) Sony has the better games. Just look at these handful of no-name games no one has ever hear of, obviously Sony has the best line up.
f) Sony is for adults because adults obviously like games targeted towards the 13 year old boy / fratboy demographic.
g) The PS2 is still kicking ass!
h) The PSP isn't sucking as much as the PS3 is!
i) Even though Ps3 is losing, Blu-Ray is still winning... relatively...
j) Sony has the superior Grafx! ZOMFG!
k) Sony's potential hasn't even been touched yet.
L) MGS4
M) FFXIII
N) PS3 fans are the majority even though the console is the minority (yeah, figure that one out)

Seriously, is there no end to your pathetic excuses and childish logic? And what's worse is you have the compulsive need to attack anyone that doesn't think the PS3 is the future. You're just a bunch of damn fanboys in withdrawl from not being #1 for the first time in twelve years. Stop making your problem everyone elses Problem!!!

Gballzack said:
People only down the PS3 because Sony fans insist on forcing ridiculous conspiracy theories on everyone else around them.

These pro-Sony posts are just getting to be an annoyance and I can garantee you they're the sole reason that a forum for each company was created in the first place.

Your pathetic excuses for Sony either on of the following:

e) Sony has the better games. Just look at these handful of no-name games no one has ever hear of, obviously Sony has the best line up.
f) Sony is for adults because adults obviously like games targeted towards the 13 year old boy / fratboy demographic.
L) MGS4
M) FFXIII
N) PS3 fans are the majority even though the console is the minority (yeah, figure that one out)

Seriously, is there no end to your pathetic excuses and childish logic? And what's worse is you have the compulsive need to attack anyone that doesn't think the PS3 is the future. You're just a bunch of damn fanboys in withdrawl from not being #1 for the first time in twelve years. Stop making your problem everyone elses Problem!!!

Ok, usually I think you go too far in your posts, but this time you are spot on the mark. You said exactly what I was struggling to articulate.

I am asolutely sick of Sony fan's conspiracy theories about the bias of the moderators that want to turn this into a Wii haven. Get over yourselves. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
Gballzack said:

Seriously, look at the titles of your posts!

-         “PSP and PS3 games, are they really that bad?”

-         “PS3 not doomed in Japan!”

-         “Developers praise PS3’s Superior Power!”

-         “How much will the PS3’s price cut be, and when?”

-         “Playstation 3 = Most Exclusive Games! 100+”

-         “PS2-PS3, same story!”

-         “PS3 strengths: Grand Tsurismo 5”

-         “Sony games at E3! Yaaaahh!”

-         “Sony Love thread”

-         “IGN Reviews PS3 upscalling games”

Your pathetic excuses for Sony are either one of the following:

L) MGS4
M) FFXIII

The Sony haters like you are worse than the fanboys. You make excuses that the PS2 sold 120 million because you say half the systems broke down, an outright lie. You imply the 360 is kicking ass in sales which it's not. You denie the fact that Sony still kills Microsoft's brand name in Japan and most of Europe. And you want everyone to believe a console generation has to be decided this early. If that was the case the N64 would have beat the PS1 and the PSP would be beating the DS. We're coming to know you Gballzack as the official Sony hater of these boards.

cry more Christopher, if name calling is all you've got then don't even bother comming back for more. Your reply is a pathetic and common sight on this forum of what little you and your peers have to counter with whenever faced with the truth. I wish I could tolerate your opinion, but when it gets forced on me and others so frequently I can't help but take issue with it. You'd also do well to note people are agreeing with me too, I'm no longer the outlier anomaly I was when I first came here.

"You make excuses that the PS2 sold 120 million because you say half the systems broke down, an outright lie. "
Diden't read that in his/her post. Have you ?

"You imply the 360 is kicking ass in sales which it's not."
Well, maybe not kicking the Wii ass, but surely kicking the PS3 one.

"You denie the fact that Sony still kills Microsoft's brand name in Japan and most of Europe."
Still diden't see that in the post...
MS is nothing in Japan, and probaly lower than Sony in Europe, but still, the X360 manage to sell more in Europe than PS3, and dispite its famous brand, Sony in Japan is lower than it ever was during the whole PS2 life cycle.

"And you want everyone to believe a console generation has to be decided this early. If that was the case the N64 would have beat the PS1 and the PSP would be beating the DS"
Nobody believe that but one thing is sure : like in every run, taking an awfull start isen't going to help you and you might have to spend a lot of ressource just to come back in the run, at the place you should have had.

Christopher your N64 point is completely off base. I keep seeing this erroneous point brought up over and over again by Sony fans. The N64 only sold well in the US initially. In Japan and Europe that was not the case. Not mention the fact that the N64 never held more market share than the PS1 in any territory. If the first six months were any indication, the PS1 would have still won its generation by dominating two out of the three major territories. I have one question. How come Sony fans can bring up the N64 to defend the PS3's position, but when anyone else brings up the N64 to point to how Sony is faltering they are mistaken?

PS3 = high budget, elaborate games that I enjoy.
Wii = low budget, low graphics, and simple games... that you enjoy.

There. Happy? 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!