By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people keep defending PS3 sales?

"And you want everyone to believe a console generation has to be decided this early. If that was the case the N64 would have beat the PS1 and the PSP would be beating the DS"
Nobody believe that but one thing is sure : like in every run, taking an awfull start isen't going to help you and you might have to spend a lot of ressource just to come back in the run, at the place you should have had.

Please people start using the stats made available on this site before posting false info! N64 never in it's history had a biger userbase then ps1, the psp never had a bigger userbase then the DS. Unless your talking about a few weeks of sales, but that's not really the big picture, the picture you paint is that the psp and N64 had control of the market and userbase and they lost it. That's not true. They never did, not even close. 

Around the Network

Thank you Foo, I got so focused on seeing the false N64 info that I completely skipped past the nonsense about the PSP and DS. Good catch.

fooflexible said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
I would say a large part of the reason that people defend ps3 sales is because they aren't all that bad. Considering the price tag, which is at least 120 to 350 more than any of it's competitors it's still managed the adoption rate of the machine with 479-299 price tag. I for one think that's a victory in and of itself. If you look at the first part of the 360's chart and the ps3's chart you could just about line them up, and i don't see anyone biting microsoft for their sales with the 360 but sony no they are horrible.

I for one think that Sony's strategy with the ps3 will likely be very similar to that of the psp. I remember when everyone said no one was going to buy a 250 portable machine and now they have sold almost 22 million worldwide. Not DS numbers i know but comparing good sales to excellent sales always makes good look like it has something to be desired. But i would look for a price drop every year (just like with the psp so far) and for them to start releasing more nicely priced games , greatest hits titles and possibly a general markdown once blu-rays are less expensive to create just like with saw with their umds.

Not to mention that little beast the ps2 that Sony is still making money on as far as software and hardware are concerned.

Let me make this clear i'm not a fanboy of any system. I own a ps2 and used to own a gc, and have owned plenty of sega and nintendo consoles. I just don't understand the ps3 hate i see here. At least the ps3s don't break down and sony send people crappy refurbished machines that break often on the first day received (i do know that for a fact as i did 360 tech support for Christmas 06 and then some)Not to mention they way Microsoft loves to nickel and dime i still don't understand how xbox live flew. Since when except mmorpgs have we had to pay to play online? Hell after a few years of live service and a premium console it's more than a ps3.

Just to comment on soe of your points, because I like how you present your arguement yet I still think many people fail to look at this like a business. You can't argue it's selling well for an expensive system. The whole point of their being a smaller market for high-end products is that the profit margin is larger. the ps3 actually has the opposite scenario. I think for a product that gives away for free an extra 200 dollars worth of technology, it's selling poorly.

Too with the psp, there is nothing wrong with their position, but they didn't create a business model to have half the userbase of Nintendo's machine. They designed a system that blows the DS away in techonlogy, they took a huge loss on it hoping it would recieve the bigger portion of the pie. Nintendo actually created inferior machine, cheaper yet with an actual profit margin designed to succeed even if it failed to sell really well.

Forget about price for a minute, just think profit percentage. The product with a higher profit percentage is designed to profit off a smaller base. The company with the smaller or in Sony's case negative profit margin is designed to not only sell more but is betting on staking claim to the majority of the base. Not getting that is hurting them big time. Think of this too, last gen they had only the ps2, this gen they have the ps3 and the psp and combined they won't sell nearly as well as just the ps2. And they obvouisly combined cost far more than the ps2, so how can a company that expands it's product line and combined loses a percantage of the market be considered a success?(I'm not saying they are falling out the industry or anything but this gen Sony has taken a huge hit)

I never said the ps3 was a success or that they haven't taken a hit simply that it's doing as well as it's closest competitor in price and business model and it's no secret that sony will never win at nintendo's game as it has never been playing the profitable console hardware game.  

I really just suppose that it's strange to hear these things about one console and not about another who seems to be doing the same thing. I mean isn't that Microsofts big problem too.  They didn't make any money on xbox haven't yet with the  360 and yet no one seems to be bashing them for their failures and low sales. So i assumed that that level of sales was seen as fine maybe even impressive given the difference in price. i completely understand what you're saying as far as profit percentage. I've always known that reguardless of sales nintendo would "win" any generation because they are always profitable reguardless of install base. I'm really just wondering about the ps3 hate if these sales are considered horrible. Is it simply because they were kings and now everyone gets to watch their descent in the industry? Is that the only reason no one cares about microsofts shortcomings because they were never the leader of the industry? 

Xzbeat said:

I keep asking myself why oh why do people keep defending the PS3, especially against Wii

"Well you wouldn't compare Honda Accord sales to Ferrari sales would you?"

"It's a brave move by Sony - they have managed to get 3.5 million Blu Ray players into homes"

"How can you compare a home media entertainment center to a simple games console?"

You answered it yourself..........you can compare, them because it is marketed as.a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE first and a multimedia device second.

Wii doesnt have a dvd drive/blue ray, If PS3 and 360 released a system to only play games, no blue ray or hd, it would be cheaper, and i feel thre tables would fair differently.

Ask yourself, did you purchase the system to say to yourself and friends, Check out my new DVD player, wanna watch a movie???

OR were you like this, Het check out my super system with superior graphics, point is, most people already have a dvd player of some sorts. Blue ray wont cath on 100% for a little bit longer, look at the transition from VHS to DVd, some people still have VHS players, I admit I have 2, I might have 5 DVD players but I still have VHS. Point is, the market might end up supporting HD DVD/Blue ray........You can stil buy VHS players(at least I think)and you can buy a cheap DVD player, or an HD DVD or BLue ray. Point is, When did the VHS come out???How long has it been around? And has it lived on with DVD's, yes. It may take a while before people buy a game system to watch movies on, I think Sony/MS are trying to appeal to everyone, Kids/adults in an ll in one multimedia device. I think this is the wrong way to do it. Here is why, The concept is enticing, a device for the family. Lets discect it Little Johnny gets dad to buy a 360. Dad wants to watch a movie, Johnny wants to play a game. Where is the split time between them??

Thats why stand alone systems do so well, why?? If Dad/Mom wants to watch a movie, they will, If Johnny wants to play a game.....guess what??? do it in your room. Growing up, I had my systems in my room, how many others can attest to this?

My friends ask, why did you pay that much for a game/DVd???

I said I just wanted good graphics from the PSe, I would have been happy with a games only platform.

it all boils down to the ps3 fanboys feel they have to, because how ps3 is getting trumped by the oppisistion. so to put in in simple words..they have to try to make themselfs feel better that theyre getting they ass kicked so bad

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

Don't be a snob Kwaad, having a Ps3 does not makes you royalty.

Just one thing that bothers me though. About Ps3 being a multimedia device. It is rather moot in a gamers forum to argue about HDTV or Blue Ray. Saying that you made you buy to use it fully as a media center, not just to play games, is like saying that a bear doesn't shit in the woods, she's toilet trained. It's still a Games Console, not a gloriffied PC. Sure, there are technophiles who adore the system for what it is, but if sony wasn't trying so hard to make it the swiss army knife of consoles, sales would have been bigger and healthier. Most of us have a pc that can be upgraded to infinity, PS3 does not haves this option. Why buy something when you have it already sitting on your desktop, with less money?

I can relate to the ps3 fan anguish though, as i was on the defensive for years with the N64 & GC. It's Wii's time to shine now, and Ps3 it's in his shadow. The healthy reaction would be for the sony fan to admit that the console is likely to go the way of the buffalo,get the most out of it, and be content at the same time by the superiority of ps1&2 which had (the latter still has) a good run.   

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

nitekrawler1285 said:

I never said the ps3 was a success or that they haven't taken a hit simply that it's doing as well as it's closest competitor in price and business model and it's no secret that sony will never win at nintendo's game as it has never been playing the profitable console hardware game.

I really just suppose that it's strange to hear these things about one console and not about another who seems to be doing the same thing. I mean isn't that Microsofts big problem too. They didn't make any money on xbox haven't yet with the 360 and yet no one seems to be bashing them for their failures and low sales. So i assumed that that level of sales was seen as fine maybe even impressive given the difference in price. i completely understand what you're saying as far as profit percentage. I've always known that reguardless of sales nintendo would "win" any generation because they are always profitable reguardless of install base. I'm really just wondering about the ps3 hate if these sales are considered horrible. Is it simply because they were kings and now everyone gets to watch their descent in the industry? Is that the only reason no one cares about microsofts shortcomings because they were never the leader of the industry?

About the 360 I understand your point although there have been a lot of articles on microsoft not making money in this industry and them being a failure. However it receieved far more attention last generation, now that people are tired of talking about it, and add to it that the 360 is selling better then the x-box and doubling the ps3 sales in America, and it currrently leads this generation, so it's hardly worth noting. the 360's worst news is how bad it's doing in Japan, and that's obvious and spoke of so many times no one bothers anymore. I think people are calling attention to ps2 sales primirialy because they were supposed to lead this generation, they killed the last two, so this all comes as a shock, and major dissapointment. Finially fans of other systems see hope of another console leading the pack, meaning Nintendo fans might get more exclusives on the Wii and such so they are trumpeting success. Plus nintendo fans have been cast asunder since the demsive of the N64, they now feel like Boston going into the world series. They waited a decade for this, they are going to talk smack.   

fooflexible said:
"And you want everyone to believe a console generation has to be decided this early. If that was the case the N64 would have beat the PS1 and the PSP would be beating the DS"
Nobody believe that but one thing is sure : like in every run, taking an awfull start isen't going to help you and you might have to spend a lot of ressource just to come back in the run, at the place you should have had.

Please people start using the stats made available on this site before posting false info! N64 never in it's history had a biger userbase then ps1, the psp never had a bigger userbase then the DS. Unless your talking about a few weeks of sales, but that's not really the big picture, the picture you paint is that the psp and N64 had control of the market and userbase and they lost it. That's not true. They never did, not even close. 

Lol, why do you quote me to answer to the original poster  ? ;)

nitekrawler1285 said:
fooflexible said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
I would say a large part of the reason that people defend ps3 sales is because they aren't all that bad. Considering the price tag, which is at least 120 to 350 more than any of it's competitors it's still managed the adoption rate of the machine with 479-299 price tag. I for one think that's a victory in and of itself. If you look at the first part of the 360's chart and the ps3's chart you could just about line them up, and i don't see anyone biting microsoft for their sales with the 360 but sony no they are horrible.

I for one think that Sony's strategy with the ps3 will likely be very similar to that of the psp. I remember when everyone said no one was going to buy a 250 portable machine and now they have sold almost 22 million worldwide. Not DS numbers i know but comparing good sales to excellent sales always makes good look like it has something to be desired. But i would look for a price drop every year (just like with the psp so far) and for them to start releasing more nicely priced games , greatest hits titles and possibly a general markdown once blu-rays are less expensive to create just like with saw with their umds.

Not to mention that little beast the ps2 that Sony is still making money on as far as software and hardware are concerned.

Let me make this clear i'm not a fanboy of any system. I own a ps2 and used to own a gc, and have owned plenty of sega and nintendo consoles. I just don't understand the ps3 hate i see here. At least the ps3s don't break down and sony send people crappy refurbished machines that break often on the first day received (i do know that for a fact as i did 360 tech support for Christmas 06 and then some)Not to mention they way Microsoft loves to nickel and dime i still don't understand how xbox live flew. Since when except mmorpgs have we had to pay to play online? Hell after a few years of live service and a premium console it's more than a ps3.

Just to comment on soe of your points, because I like how you present your arguement yet I still think many people fail to look at this like a business. You can't argue it's selling well for an expensive system. The whole point of their being a smaller market for high-end products is that the profit margin is larger. the ps3 actually has the opposite scenario. I think for a product that gives away for free an extra 200 dollars worth of technology, it's selling poorly.

Too with the psp, there is nothing wrong with their position, but they didn't create a business model to have half the userbase of Nintendo's machine. They designed a system that blows the DS away in techonlogy, they took a huge loss on it hoping it would recieve the bigger portion of the pie. Nintendo actually created inferior machine, cheaper yet with an actual profit margin designed to succeed even if it failed to sell really well.

Forget about price for a minute, just think profit percentage. The product with a higher profit percentage is designed to profit off a smaller base. The company with the smaller or in Sony's case negative profit margin is designed to not only sell more but is betting on staking claim to the majority of the base. Not getting that is hurting them big time. Think of this too, last gen they had only the ps2, this gen they have the ps3 and the psp and combined they won't sell nearly as well as just the ps2. And they obvouisly combined cost far more than the ps2, so how can a company that expands it's product line and combined loses a percantage of the market be considered a success?(I'm not saying they are falling out the industry or anything but this gen Sony has taken a huge hit)

I really just suppose that it's strange to hear these things about one console and not about another who seems to be doing the same thing. I mean isn't that Microsofts big problem too. They didn't make any money on xbox haven't yet with the 360 and yet no one seems to be bashing them for their failures and low sales. So i assumed that that level of sales was seen as fine maybe even impressive given the difference in price. i completely understand what you're saying as far as profit percentage. I've always known that reguardless of sales nintendo would "win" any generation because they are always profitable reguardless of install base. I'm really just wondering about the ps3 hate if these sales are considered horrible. Is it simply because they were kings and now everyone gets to watch their descent in the industry? Is that the only reason no one cares about microsofts shortcomings because they were never the leader of the industry?

Microsoft is in a better position than Sony right now. MS has been making money off of each 360 they sell since about September of last year. The 360 has three times the userbase of the PS3 and quite frankly the feeling was that the PS3 was just walk over the 360 like the PS2 walked over the DC and well it just didn't happen. The PS3's position is remarkably similar to the original X-box in many regards. Unfortunately for Sony, MS and Nintendo will have them by the balls all this generation when it comes to pricing. Part of the reason MS lost so much money on X-box was because they choose to match Sony's price cuts eventhough they were taking a loss on each X-box sold. MS has Sony over that same barrel right now.

Gballzack said:

People only down the PS3 because Sony fans insist on forcing ridiculous conspiracy theories on everyone else around them.

These pro-Sony posts are just getting to be an annoyance and I can garantee you they're the sole reason that a forum for each company was created in the first place.

Seriously, look at the titles of your posts!

- “PSP and PS3 games, are they really that bad?”

- “PS3 not doomed in Japan!”

- “Developers praise PS3’s Superior Power!”

- “How much will the PS3’s price cut be, and when?”

- “Playstation 3 = Most Exclusive Games! 100+”

- “PS2-PS3, same story!”

- “PS3 strengths: Grand Tsurismo 5”

- “Sony games at E3! Yaaaahh!”

- “Sony Love thread”

- “IGN Reviews PS3 upscalling games”

Your pathetic excuses for Sony are either one of the following:

a) This is exactly what Sony wanted
b) There's no shame in Sony being the underdog
c) Sony isn't the underdog
d) Sony will make a comeback
e) Sony has the better games. Just look at these handful of no-name games no one has ever hear of, obviously Sony has the best line up.
f) Sony is for adults because adults obviously like games targeted towards the 13 year old boy / fratboy demographic.
g) The PS2 is still kicking ass!
h) The PSP isn't sucking as much as the PS3 is!
i) Even though Ps3 is losing, Blu-Ray is still winning... relatively...
j) Sony has the superior Grafx! ZOMFG!
k) Sony's potential hasn't even been touched yet.
L) MGS4
M) FFXIII
N) PS3 fans are the majority even though the console is the minority (yeah, figure that one out)

Seriously, is there no end to your pathetic excuses and childish logic? And what's worse is you have the compulsive need to attack anyone that doesn't think the PS3 is the future. You're just a bunch of damn fanboys in withdrawl from not being #1 for the first time in twelve years. Stop making your problem everyone elses Problem!!!

Like I am even going to pay attention to someone who compares the PS3 (something you obviously HATE, not dislike) to the President of the United States.  I mean seriously Bush isn't a great president but give me a freakin break!.