By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people keep defending PS3 sales?

I keep asking myself why oh why do people keep defending the PS3, especially against Wii

"Well you wouldn't compare Honda Accord sales to Ferrari sales would you?"

"It's a brave move by Sony - they have managed to get 3.5 million Blu Ray players into homes"

"How can you compare a home media entertainment center to a simple games console?"

Everybody seems to be forgetting PSP. When PSP and DS launched everyone said how sleek the PSP was, they all loved the graphics, it could play movies and was packed with many more features than DS. There were plenty of big games on the way - GTA: Liberty City Stories, Madden, Ridge Racers, Luminies, most of the major multi-platform games while DS was a gimmicky fad with a few weird touch screen games.

I'm sure a lot of hardcore gamers don't care much for Brain Training, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware, but it is these games that are selling. It's these types of games that the general public are getting into and you'd be a fool to say they weren't expanding the market.

You can make just about every parallel possible between Wii / PS3 and DS / PSP - Wii and DS are "underpowered", dominated by a different control scheme, aimed at creating new gamers and making games accessible, cheap, no media capabilities while PS3 / PSP are cutting edge technology, full of media capabilities, slick, pushing new media formats etc.

The one thing that everyone seems to be forgetting about though is GAMES. PSP is struggling due to lack of good quality games. Tie ratios are relatively low and many use it for media capabilities. You can't blame Sony for this, they are a media company after all, but does it make good business sense when they lose money on each PSP/PS3 sold? PS3 is looking like following the same pattern- it needs games and fast. The major difference with PSP and PS3 is the existance of Xbox360 - for those who can afford a super console then why chose a PS3 over 360?

Many knock Nintendo's strategy of putting gaming above all else but this is really what sold the original Playstation - good original games that you just couldn't get anywhere else. It says something that the least powerful console of each generation has always sold best. Getting out early is a massive advantage and something else that Sony have messed up this time. Wii will pass 360 sales in the next two months and will just keep on rising so the battle for 2nd place will be between 360 and PS3, of which 360 already has 75% of the market. With nearly every major PS3 game coming out on 360 then what hope do Sony have of claiming second place? Maybe if Sony had concentrated more on games and bringing a system to the market which had more mass appeal then they wouldn't be in the situation they are now - losing massive amounts of money on each console they make, still overpricing themselves well out of the market, developers jumping ship, bad press everywhere and PS3 sales which have slowed to an almost stangnant level.

Price drops will come, plenty more games will come, but will it all be too little too late for Sony?

Around the Network

What's your point?

People defend the PS3 cos they like it.

Sales aren't very good right now of course. And there are endless arguments about games being best on whatever platform you happen to be favour.

And to be fair, (I'm a softcore Wiiboy) these forums need people defending the PS3 and not being attacked for it.

For one your title does not have much to do wit your post.

Just about every thing that is said about PS3 all the problems it has was the same for PS2. Overpriced no games blehh blehh gamers don't want a entertaimnet system plenty other bs.

It's the opposite really. Why are so many people downing the PS3?

Give the system a chance. I think you'll find that it's a natural reaction to a negative action from Nintendo fanboys, destined to make the life of PSP and PS3 owners a misery by stating poor games and bad sales.

Just enjoy your own console and give the others a chance.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

The title has everything to do with the post - why do people defend the sales of the PS3 with lame excuses all the time?

PS2 is totally different. PS2 had sold 2-3 times as much as PS3 by now and it really did have a total lack of games at the start - the big difference was lack of competition as well. GC / XB didn't launch until well over a year later, this time PS3 and Wii are the latecomers.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:

Just about every thing that is said about PS3 all the problems it has was the same for PS2. Overpriced no games blehh blehh gamers don't want a entertaimnet system plenty other bs.

Two things, only fools said the PS2 was overpriced being that it launched for the exact same price as the original Playstation ($300), and the lack of games/entertainment system argument was obviously false when you saw how the PS2 actually sold; the PS2 was one of the fastest selling systems of all time and sales were heavily supply limited.

In general the Wii is far more related to the PS2 than the PS3 is ... The best system to compare the PS3 to at the moment would be the Saturn.

HappySqurriel said:
Blue3 said:

Two things, only fools said the PS2 was overpriced being that it launched for the exact same price as the original Playstation ($300), and the lack of games/entertainment system argument was obviously false when you saw how the PS2 actually sold; the PS2 was one of the fastest selling systems of all time and sales were heavily supply limited.

In general the Wii is far more related to the PS2 than the PS3 is ... The best system to compare the PS3 to at the moment would be the Saturn.

keep posting your fud.

i got a PS2 at launch, i remember damn well people bitching its to expensive, DVD is useless it would be soo cheeper with out it.  Its a gaming system not a dvd player.  People were comparing its price to the dreamcast.

When PS launched it was a hell of alot cheeper then Saturn or the others like 3do. 

Blue3 said:

keep posting your fud.

i got a PS2 at launch, i remember damn well people bitching its to expensive, DVD is useless it would be soo cheeper with out it.  Its a gaming system not a dvd player.  People were comparing its price to the dreamcast.

When PS launched it was a hell of alot cheeper then Saturn or the others like 3do. 

So accurate facts and comparisons are now FUD?

Wow, why didn't I get that memo?

Xzbeat said:
The title has everything to do with the post - why do people defend the sales of the PS3 with lame excuses all the time?

PS2 is totally different. PS2 had sold 2-3 times as much as PS3 by now and it really did have a total lack of games at the start - the big difference was lack of competition as well. GC / XB didn't launch until well over a year later, this time PS3 and Wii are the latecomers.

maybe becasue its a incredible piece of hardware.

mayab becasue games like Uncharted, FF13, MGS4, GT5, Gow3 are coming.

But nobody wants those games !!!

People want to play Wii Sports instead