By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

DTG said:

- Story-specific gameplay, which is about features that are very story-related, but it's not optional and impacts the gameplay heavily. One example is Planescape: Torment's main character, the Nameless One, an 'immortal' which loses his identity and memory every times he dies. When the player(in control of Nameless One) dies, he doesn't lose the game, but he re-awakens with his entire memory removed. What better way to

The problem is that doesn't actually explain immortality. It simply demostrates it. If you wanted to go into the philosophies of immortality, it's impliactions, nature, etc then you would need an in depth dialogue scene to explain these things. You can only demonstrate things through gameplay. To explain them you need to show it through cutscenes. The ending conversation and monologue of MGS2 couldn't have been explained through a cutscene because it was trying to impart something specific and knowledge thus language based in nature.

You haven't played Planescape, have you? It does explain immortality, it's implications, and goes into depth for it; only the developers tried to show it naturally, and not convoluted (which is what MGS2 was like). In the beginning it is explained roughly (or rather, naturally) the immortality of the Nameless One. the player then will experience death, rebirth, loss of identity, immortality; and he will see the impact of the Nameless One's past, who he was, what he did, the evidences he left. The sporadic gain of memories from past lifes will leave the player wondering more about him, without ever having his questions fully answered.

Planescape: Torment is a masterpiece.

Words Of Wisdom said:
shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Profcrab said:

Maybe Kojima should start painting from the corner to the door instead of from the door to the corner?

Bioware's games have been solid within the games themselves. Including all the backstory for every character and every situation is very, very difficult to pull of and sometimes irresponsible to do it.

Also, bringing up other games that may not have great storytelling doesn't help your case.

Pro-tip! Don't compare Bioware to other developers. It makes too many of them look bad.

It also makes many of them look great. Bioware is nowhere near as good as their early years, their writing is severely lacking. Many developers have already surpassed them: Valve, Obsidian, CDProjekt, Turbine, Telltale are some of those.

Obsidian Entertainment (or Bioware Jr. as I like to think of them) couldn't surpass a plate of dogpoo. KotOR2 is firm proof of this. It was like they fired all the writers and hired retarded monkeys with plungers to script a clone of KotOR1 which would work in a world without KotOR1, but playing through an entire game with the "Haven't I done this before? Haven't I met you before?" feeling is lame.

Kotor 2 is widely recognized as having a much better story, characters and interaction than Kotor 1. The first 75% of the game is much superior than Kotor 1. The last 25% weren't good (except that last talk with Kreia) because of time constraints: Obsidian only had 12 months to make the game!

But a much better example of Obsidian's superiority is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, which has THE best narrative in an RPG since Planescape: Torment. 

Around the Network
DTG said:
Profcrab said:
DTG said:
rocketpig said:
Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:
I think my biggest disappointment with this is Kojma's desire to continue to make a game into a movie instead of blending the two a la Mass Effect. I don't mind cutscenes but developers need to learn to take advantage of the medium's strengths better. Instead of locking the player out of the story (like cinema does), welcome the player into the scene and give him/her options for movement, conversation, and manipulating the scene.

After all, the industry is referred to as interactive media, right?

In many ways, Japanese game designers seem to pursue the same line of reasoning as anime. They have an idea for a really far out there story and they do everything to make it work instead of modifying the story to make it work. Cutscenes are how they still push their story concept even when it wouldn't fit the gameplay of that game.

90 minutes sounds like an exaggeration but even 20 minutes is too long for a video game and I can easily see Kojima including cutscenes that are 20-30 minutes. I just think he is way too high on his own ideas and is suffering from the George Lucas problem where no one can tell him "No!". Think of all the extra work that could be done on the game that might have gone into cutscenes.

The George Lucas point is a valid one. Someone needs to hire an assitant with a hammer to follow both of them around and whack them in the head whenever they try to do something insanely stupid with a quality franchise.

It's quite pathetic when developers adher to the demands of fans. We've seen it happen with MGS3 where Kojima listened to complaining players and compromised the story to make it more accomodating for the public. A true artist doesn't compromise his vision regardless of what anyone around him says because if he does it will no longer be true to his original creative intentions. Fan service is what destroys any artistic ambition in games.

As for you commenting on the industry being interactive, have you forgotten that there is near 20 hours of gameplay? MGS has always been known to be a cinematic experience first and a game second and I'm baffled why people would be upset and surprised by this news considering MGS' track record.

I've only said that Kojima is a poor story teller, not a bad game designer. MGS4 will probably have solid gameplay and be fun inspite of the cutscenes, but people make Kojima out to be this grand video game visionary and he's not. He's a good game developer that isn't a great story teller but is so thoroughly convinced that he is that he indulges himself in extensive cutscenes that tell overcomplicated stories.

MGS has not always been that way. MGS2 was where the true self indulgence began.

I suppose that depends on whether you consider Kojima a visionary game designer/artist or not. Those who do would agree that his long and complex methods of storytelling are ingenius and integral to what he is trying to achieve. Those who consider his storytelling bad would obviously be upset, but I think the huge fanbase of the franchise and huge fanbase of MGS2 alone validates him as more than a terrible writer. There have been numerous essays written on his games, if you read them perhaps it will help you see the depth his games actually have. Many non hardcore fans of the series mistake his storytelling as simply being for entertainment value yet taking itself too seriously, but in actuality there is an enormous amount of research, meaning and depth that goes into giving his plots a layered message.

I respect that many may disagree with that, but nonetheless it doesn't invalidate my and others opinions about him being a brilliant writer.

You don't have to go very far to find a large group of people that find a large amount of anime stories to be visionary and genious.  People have a habit of mistaking complexity for art and depth (I think Rocketpig is fond of saying this).  What makes Kojima a bad story teller is that he has to tell you all of his ideas.  He can't work them in.  At some points, his characters literally spout philosphy.  This is where he fails.  There are no layers to the message.  Layers come when the actions of the characters and the decisions they make are left up to the viewer/player/reader to explain.  Kojima can't do that though.  Artistic media doesn't tell you why, it asks you why.

Don't bring up the huge fanbase argument.  Dane Cook has a huge fanbase and if I hear someone compare him to Richard Pryor then someone needs to die. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

rocketpig said:
We understand that. The problem is that other games have done a better job of "feeling like a movie" without lengthy non-interactive cutscenes.

Forget about what it could be and what it's not, the question is this: Are the cutscenes good enough for the game itself to be a good one, explain the story an entertaining cinematic feel and please the fanbase? In other words, can it get the job done?

I'm sure you don't know the answer to this and neither does anyone else that has not played it yet.

TheBigFatJ said:

And, for the record, the gamepro (which sucks) editor said that ninety minutes "sounds like an exaggeration" and that he doesn't remember any scenes being 90 minutes. But the very fact that he can't say for sure, after playing through the game twice, is very telling.

"I played the game twice and I'm not sure, but I don't think any cut scenes where 90 minutes," to paraphrase. Very encouraging. Why don't you know -- did you skip them? Did you fall asleep? How can you not know after playing twice?

"Ninety-minute-long cimeas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally length. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes. " - Gamepro Editor

DTG said:

It's quite pathetic when developers adher to the demands of fans. We've seen it happen with MGS3 where Kojima listened to complaining players and compromised the story to make it more accomodating for the public. A true artist doesn't compromise his vision regardless of what anyone around him says because if he does it will no longer be true to his original creative intentions. Fan service is what destroys any artistic ambition in games.

A true artist wouldn't be afraid to use new, improved methods for his art. Kojima, it seems, is.

But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes. " - Gamepro Editor

If he was confident that none approached 90 minutes, why would he throw a phrase that amounts to "as far as I can remember" in there?  He's saying, "I don't think they're 90 minutes.  I think that's an exaggeration."  If he played it twice, doesn't it seem odd that he can't say, "nope, no 90 minute movies in there.  Kojima doesn't need a crutch that big to tell his story."

shio said:
DTG said:

- Story-specific gameplay, which is about features that are very story-related, but it's not optional and impacts the gameplay heavily. One example is Planescape: Torment's main character, the Nameless One, an 'immortal' which loses his identity and memory every times he dies. When the player(in control of Nameless One) dies, he doesn't lose the game, but he re-awakens with his entire memory removed. What better way to

The problem is that doesn't actually explain immortality. It simply demostrates it. If you wanted to go into the philosophies of immortality, it's impliactions, nature, etc then you would need an in depth dialogue scene to explain these things. You can only demonstrate things through gameplay. To explain them you need to show it through cutscenes. The ending conversation and monologue of MGS2 couldn't have been explained through a cutscene because it was trying to impart something specific and knowledge thus language based in nature.

You haven't played Planescape, have you? It does explain immortality, it's implications, and goes into depth for it; only the developers tried to show it naturally, and not convoluted (which is what MGS2 was like). In the beginning it is explained roughly (or rather, naturally) the immortality of the Nameless One. the player then will experience death, rebirth, loss of identity, immortality; and he will see the impact of the Nameless One's past, who he was, what he did, the evidences he left. The sporadic gain of memories from past lifes will leave the player wondering more about him, without ever having his questions fully answered.

Planescape: Torment is a masterpiece.

Words Of Wisdom said:
shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Profcrab said:

Maybe Kojima should start painting from the corner to the door instead of from the door to the corner?

Bioware's games have been solid within the games themselves. Including all the backstory for every character and every situation is very, very difficult to pull of and sometimes irresponsible to do it.

Also, bringing up other games that may not have great storytelling doesn't help your case.

Pro-tip! Don't compare Bioware to other developers. It makes too many of them look bad.

It also makes many of them look great. Bioware is nowhere near as good as their early years, their writing is severely lacking. Many developers have already surpassed them: Valve, Obsidian, CDProjekt, Turbine, Telltale are some of those.

Obsidian Entertainment (or Bioware Jr. as I like to think of them) couldn't surpass a plate of dogpoo. KotOR2 is firm proof of this. It was like they fired all the writers and hired retarded monkeys with plungers to script a clone of KotOR1 which would work in a world without KotOR1, but playing through an entire game with the "Haven't I done this before? Haven't I met you before?" feeling is lame.

Kotor 2 is widely recognized as having a much better story, characters and interaction than Kotor 1. The first 75% of the game is much superior than Kotor 1. The last 25% weren't good (except that last talk with Kreia) because of time constraints: Obsidian only had 12 months to make the game!

But a much better example of Obsidian's superiority is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, which has THE best narrative in an RPG since Planescape: Torment.

I could try and argue with you over KoTOR2 being better than KoTOR but really it and Torment are both RPGs and MGS is really an action game.  I should never have mentioned Bioware.  A better comparison would be Bungie or Remedy. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

Yes I have played the game, but your point about it explaining immortality through the gameplay sequence of death and rebirth was false.The game actually explained immortality through pages and pages of vast dialogue. It baffles me that you would even mention Planescape as a game that has compact storytelling presented through its gameplay when it has the largest script ever written for a video game.  

Not having fully answered its questions isn't a demonstration of good storytelling. Hell, MGS2 had more loose ends than any game out there. It's simply a style of storytelling not a matter of quality.

bbsin said:
rocketpig said:
Mass Effect for starters in this generation. Even Oblivion, though I hated the game, avoided cutscenes. Splinter Cell 1 & 3 even did a decent job of telling a somewhat intriguing story with no cutscenes.

On the other hand, you have games like SotC which told an amazing story in an amazing environment without a lick of dialogue and no cutscenes IIRC.

Mass Effect did not have to tie up multiple unanswered story arcs from 3 previous games, not to mention the entire back story is written in a novel and the game LEFT questions unanswered. The only difference is the choice of becoming either a good guy or a badass good guy.

Never played Oblivion

And SoTC's story is whatever the player assumes since there's no contrete information other than "kill monsters to save girl".

Maybe he could just not leave gaping holes in his story eh?

And yeah, putting in a 90 minute cut scene because you can't think of gameplay is not good design.  Someone else had it right when they said they should just make a movie.

Also, there is nothing wrong with cut scenes.  There is something wrong with a cut scene that lasts an hour and a half. 

shio said:

Widely perceived as better by who?  The only thing KotOR2 improved on was the general flow of combat.

The characters were not that much better at all.  Heck, when I first saw Carth I was like "Hey it's Atton!" and then he introduced himself as Carth.  I was like, "Wait, what?"

You see, I had the distinct pleasure of playing Knights of the Old Republic 2 BEFORE the original.  Which means I was able to enjoy KotOR2 quite a bit and it was indeed a good game.  Upon playing the original KotOR, I kept getting the "Been there, done that" feeling and I slowly realized that almost every game element minus maybe Kreia had been borrowed from the original.  

The "Surprise, you're Revan!" plot was lame in both though.  

DTG said:

Yes I have played the game, but your point about it explaining immortality through the gameplay sequence of death and rebirth was false.The game actually explained immortality through pages and pages of vast dialogue. It baffles me that you would even mention Planescape as a game that has compact storytelling presented through its gameplay when it has the largest script ever written for a video game.  

==> so basically, since MGS is an epic action game, with less PEACEFULL text/dialogue, story can"t be explained using text/dialogue.

That is why it rely on cutscene where u can easly mix action and storytelling 

???

Time to Work !

twesterm said:
bbsin said:
rocketpig said:
Mass Effect for starters in this generation. Even Oblivion, though I hated the game, avoided cutscenes. Splinter Cell 1 & 3 even did a decent job of telling a somewhat intriguing story with no cutscenes.

On the other hand, you have games like SotC which told an amazing story in an amazing environment without a lick of dialogue and no cutscenes IIRC.

Mass Effect did not have to tie up multiple unanswered story arcs from 3 previous games, not to mention the entire back story is written in a novel and the game LEFT questions unanswered. The only difference is the choice of becoming either a good guy or a badass good guy.

Never played Oblivion

And SoTC's story is whatever the player assumes since there's no contrete information other than "kill monsters to save girl".

Maybe he could just not leave gaping holes in his story eh?

And yeah, putting in a 90 minute cut scene because you can't think of gameplay is not good design. Someone else had it right when they said they should just make a movie.

Also, there is nothing wrong with cut scenes. There is something wrong with a cut scene that lasts an hour and a half.

Being that the "90 minute cutscene statement" was shot down and came from a fake source, does it make it not right? or should we wait and see instead of believe all the fake rumors against MGS4? We should name this day  "false MGS4 claim" day.