By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Boxing, I still want closure

well i also really liked the controls,and i also dont really get why alot of people sy that this game doesnt have very accurate controls

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
ilovetogame said:
oh i LOVE wii boxing and have played it tons. my score is about 2400. but no doubt it has bad controls that take a while to get used to. easily the worst controls out of the 5 sports in wii sports. but that doesn't mean its not extremely fun. but it would be nice to get a boxing game that has very good controls rather than the clumsy controls of wii boxing. for me i can barely ever throw a left hook or an uppercut (which makes sense because of the combination of me being right handed and the bad controls don't register my less accurate left arm movements). and plenty of times when i'm dodging my mii starts throwing punches which can often lead to me getting pummeled for a few seconds, but that is because they made the punches sensitive to any foward motion so if i move the controllers slightly foward while dodging it registers a few punches.

amazing game. bad, but still manageable, controls.

???
How you got to 2400 I don't know.

I don't think I have ever accidentally punched when trying to dodge, and I can usually perform uppercuts and hooks pretty well.... only when I have played 3 or 4 matches and my arms are tired do I find the special moves tough to pull off.

(I am a 2910 or 2901 I think)

----

Oddly enough, a friend of mine from Northern Ireland got into it straight away, he didn't seem to encounter the same problems I did when I started (punches not registering etc). but then the general stereotype of the Irish is that they are good at fighting (after being good at drinking) 

famousringo said:
When people first use the wiimote, boxing seems very complicated, simply because every motion you make elicits a response. It's hard to be deliberate with your motions and maintain control.

But later, when you're more experienced with motion controls (WarioWare is awesome for Wiimote training!), you come back and understand that you have to be calm, and deliberate and calculating. And then you kick ass up to a 2000+ rating.

Sometimes Wii Boxing really gets my juices flowing. I get really aggressive when one of the computer kicks me around a little. I can't remember the last game that tempted me to damage property like Wii Boxing does.

I have high hopes for Facebreaker. EA has had a very good track record with motion controls, and the concept looks fun like a Punch Out!! game.

lol, you cracked my up with the propery damage

For me the learning process was a lot of fun, I guess I don't understand the viewpoint of "this game doesn't work the way I expected so it's broken".  To me it makes more sence to learn what the game is, then play it as intended, and then decide if it's a good game or not. 

colonelstubbs said:
I dont own a wii, so my knowledge and experience isnt the best, but the wiigolf game is a hell of a lot more fun, and actually does feel like your playing golf with the motions you have to make.

wiiboxing on the other hand is a mess, as the punches land nowhere near where you aim them

Did you watch the video?  Which of those punches was a mess?

TWRoO said:
ilovetogame said:
oh i LOVE wii boxing and have played it tons. my score is about 2400. but no doubt it has bad controls that take a while to get used to. easily the worst controls out of the 5 sports in wii sports. but that doesn't mean its not extremely fun. but it would be nice to get a boxing game that has very good controls rather than the clumsy controls of wii boxing. for me i can barely ever throw a left hook or an uppercut (which makes sense because of the combination of me being right handed and the bad controls don't register my less accurate left arm movements). and plenty of times when i'm dodging my mii starts throwing punches which can often lead to me getting pummeled for a few seconds, but that is because they made the punches sensitive to any foward motion so if i move the controllers slightly foward while dodging it registers a few punches.

???

I don't think I have ever accidentally punched when trying to dodge, and I can usually perform uppercuts and hooks pretty well.... only when I have played 3 or 4 matches and my arms are tired do I find the special moves tough to pull off.

----

Oddly enough, a friend of mine from Northern Ireland got into it straight away, he didn't seem to encounter the same problems I did when I started (punches not registering etc). but then the general stereotype of the Irish is that they are good at fighting (after being good at drinking) 

my girlfriend is Irish and she sucks at Wii Boxin

I bet your friend was able to play so well from the start, because he saw you playing properly and knew what to expect.  It's not knowing what to expect that ruins a lot of people.  I think its mostly all about the timing.

Around the Network
TheGameFather said:
TWRoO said:
ilovetogame said:

???

----

my girlfriend is Irish and she sucks at Wii Boxin

I bet your friend was able to play so well from the start, because he saw you playing properly and knew what to expect. It's not knowing what to expect that ruins a lot of people. I think its mostly all about the timing.

Perhaps, I am not sure if he saw me playing beforehand... but all the rest of the people who have played didn't pick it up as fast.
My Grandad wasn't too bad though, he seemed to understand the concept with much shorter deliberate moves unlike my grandma who was inching closer to the TV with each massive swing (few of which registered)

TWRoO said:
TheGameFather said:
TWRoO said:
ilovetogame said:

???

----

my girlfriend is Irish and she sucks at Wii Boxin

I bet your friend was able to play so well from the start, because he saw you playing properly and knew what to expect. It's not knowing what to expect that ruins a lot of people. I think its mostly all about the timing.

Perhaps, I am not sure if he saw me playing beforehand... but all the rest of the people who have played didn't pick it up as fast.
My Grandad wasn't too bad though, he seemed to understand the concept with much shorter deliberate moves unlike my grandma who was inching closer to the TV with each massive swing (few of which registered)

lol, always gotta keep an eye on granny, dangerous with a wiimote.

TheGameFather said:
Esmoreit said:
To me, it wasn't all that satisfying aswell. It was fun, sure but as an amateur boxer I was hoping for better controls. Problems I encountered:

My Mii wasn't fast enough with his hands - in other words, didn't track all my movements despite making "easy" combo's that didn't include double taps.

Dodging was spotty, you could only move to the side, no ducking. And even then it usually wasn't fast enough.

Third, accuracy was hit and miss. Hooks for instance didn't register, no matter how perfect I performed them. Uppercuts, same story. Jabs where the only hits remotely accurate.

Yeah, I think a lot of people had simmilar issues.  It's not exactly a 1:1 boxing simulator, a lot of the puches require proper timing just like normal boxing games.  Personally I love the dodgeing, it doesn't include a full duck, but it does include leaning forward or leaning way back to dodge head shots.

Check out the vid I posted.  It includes jabs, crosses, uppercuts and a hook and they all correspond to real punches and are %100 consistant.  What you think? 

Well, you point out my major gripe with boxing games / timing. It is generally essential to any match off course, but landing a succesfull hit requires more then just timing. I see Wiiboxing as merely a reaction game and in that it succeeds off course.

You can ignore the following though as I´m going to comment on the consistancy. I don´t think you ever have practiced boxing (totally fine off course) but to call the blows consistent. Nah. Best tip I could give now (as I don't see footwork) - Imagine you're opponent in front of you, and react to him as how a normal being would react. If you keep that in mind you will see that a lot if not all the punches make no sense whatsoever. For instance, the uppercuts you gave reach well above you're head. An uppercut is given when you either try to hit the opponent in the nose, jaw or rarer cases the stomach. So lifting you're fist two feet above you're head should only be done if you're opponent is indeed two feet taller then you are. Otherwise it is just a waste of energy, and hard to get back to cover.

A hook should never be given with a diagonal angle. From you're defense, swing you're arm quickly to a 90 degree angle whilst you keep looking at the inside of you're hand (or fist, better.) Hitting from that angle has less force, leaves you're face open for a counter and it can hardly be followed up upon in a combo.

Jabs, again should be aimed at the face when you are hittig the face. Judging from the height and angle, you where constantly aiming for the stomach (and even though you should bend down you're knees a little, instead of ducking.)

That's it for now, boxing can hardly be told through text but I hope that you see, from my viewpoint that it is indeed not a 1:1 boxing sim (which I find understandable) but also that it will be incredibly hard to ever make one untill we get a wiimote/nunchuck advanced enough to precisely measure speed, accuracy and movement - moreso then we have now.

But honestly, I do admire you got the movement required for the game down.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit said:
TheGameFather said:
Esmoreit said:
To me, it wasn't all that satisfying aswell. It was fun, sure but as an amateur boxer I was hoping for better controls. Problems I encountered:

My Mii wasn't fast enough with his hands - in other words, didn't track all my movements despite making "easy" combo's that didn't include double taps.

Dodging was spotty, you could only move to the side, no ducking. And even then it usually wasn't fast enough.

Third, accuracy was hit and miss. Hooks for instance didn't register, no matter how perfect I performed them. Uppercuts, same story. Jabs where the only hits remotely accurate.

Yeah, I think a lot of people had simmilar issues.  It's not exactly a 1:1 boxing simulator, a lot of the puches require proper timing just like normal boxing games.  Personally I love the dodgeing, it doesn't include a full duck, but it does include leaning forward or leaning way back to dodge head shots.

Check out the vid I posted.  It includes jabs, crosses, uppercuts and a hook and they all correspond to real punches and are %100 consistant.  What you think? 

Well, you point out my major gripe with boxing games / timing. It is generally essential to any match off course, but landing a succesfull hit requires more then just timing. I see Wiiboxing as merely a reaction game and in that it succeeds off course.

You can ignore the following though as I´m going to comment on the consistancy. I don´t think you ever have practiced boxing (totally fine off course) but to call the blows consistent. Nah. Best tip I could give now (as I don't see footwork) - Imagine you're opponent in front of you, and react to him as how a normal being would react. If you keep that in mind you will see that a lot if not all the punches make no sense whatsoever. For instance, the uppercuts you gave reach well above you're head. An uppercut is given when you either try to hit the opponent in the nose, jaw or rarer cases the stomach. So lifting you're fist two feet above you're head should only be done if you're opponent is indeed two feet taller then you are. Otherwise it is just a waste of energy, and hard to get back to cover.

A hook should never be given with a diagonal angle. From you're defense, swing you're arm quickly to a 90 degree angle whilst you keep looking at the inside of you're hand (or fist, better.) Hitting from that angle has less force, leaves you're face open for a counter and it can hardly be followed up upon in a combo.

Jabs, again should be aimed at the face when you are hittig the face. Judging from the height and angle, you where constantly aiming for the stomach (and even though you should bend down you're knees a little, instead of ducking.)

That's it for now, boxing can hardly be told through text but I hope that you see, from my viewpoint that it is indeed not a 1:1 boxing sim (which I find understandable) but also that it will be incredibly hard to ever make one untill we get a wiimote/nunchuck advanced enough to precisely measure speed, accuracy and movement - moreso then we have now.

But honestly, I do admire you got the movement required for the game down.

lol, thanks, but I don't think anyone thinks those punches look like real boxing punches.

Wii boxing isn't trying to be a boxing simulator, as I mentioned, it's a motion based video game. 

The point is it works very well as a motion based video game, up to %100 cosistancy with some practice. 

It's not the wiimote and nunchuck that are the hurdles to a 1:1 boxing sim though.  The limitation in the wiimote hardware isn't measureing speed/distance/acuracy, it's in it's inability to measure force.  Picture someone flailing punches around like mad and it breaks the idea of 1:1 pretty quick, something Wii Boxing is already a step ahead of.  The ballance board could allow for force to be measured though, so Wii Sports 2 could take us a step closer, but I also think we'd need some advancements in display, either VR gogles or holographic displays if to make true 1:1 boxing worthwile..

rocketpig said:
I thought it had the worst controls out of all the Wii Sports games and I haven't played it once since I bought another Wii a month ago.

Totally agree with you.