By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Boxing, I still want closure

Very nice

Around the Network

I thought that Bowling and Golf were the two best games on the disc. Tennis was OK. Baseball, far too simplistic but the control was good. Boxing, yuck. First I have to say that my father was a golden gloves champion boxer and I practice on the heavy bag a few times a week and once in a while spar. So, I know a little about boxing. The controls are absolute garbage for boxing. It doesn't catch punch snap vs just extention, the remote isn't as sensitive as it needs to be and thus cannot keep up with hand speed. As far as I can tell you cannot throw an uppercut.

....but you can throw an upper cut?

TheGameFather said:

Hey VGChartz

Been lurking for a while, was wondering what you guys think about Wii Boxing. I've gotten into more than a few conversations since it launched trying to deffend the game. Its a point of contention for me because to me the Wii Boxing design as still one of the best Wiimote designs we've seen.

It took me a while to master but it's pretty much %100 acurate and consistant for me at this point. What do you guys think about it?

Edit: If I could show you a video of the game being played in psudo 1:1 with full motion dodgeing and no misread punches would that mean anything?

Edit2: meh, why am I screwing around... lol, here is ma vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drsjwz4A0M0 check it out and then tell me what you think

I hearby accept your opinion and bestow internet closure upon you.

Now go forth and prosper. 

mesoteto said:

Yes, I can in real life, but can't do it on the WIi.

I try doing an uppercut the way you would in real life and it doesn't work.

Around the Network

Sorry but if the game requires you to train and figure it out then it completely missed the point of the WiiSports package, regardless of how good it is after practice. The fact is most people who tried it out were turned off by it initially, and that's poor game design regardless.

I'm still waiting for a Punch Out game.

What the hell Nintendo.

Get Lennox Lewis on the front of it. Who wouldn't want to play "Lennox Lewis' Punchout."

mcrow said:
mesoteto said:

Yes, I can in real life, but can't do it on the WIi.

I try doing an uppercut the way you would in real life and it doesn't work.

Flick the remote upward like it's a spatula and you're flipping flapjacks.  Works every time.  Depending on your angle it'll be an uppercut or a hook.

DarkNight_DS said:
@TheGameFather: Great Vid! You need to embed it so people don't just skip over it.

It registered each of your punches pretty accurately. I noticed that some of them happened a short while after you threw them though. It seems most people flail away in the game, where as you used strategy and patience and it payed off. Good job!

Thanks a lot DNight.   

True about some of the punch animations lagging behind, thats one of the first things that messes with people.  You nailed the other main problem most people have too, wailing away like crazy without knowing that the game needs you to use some timing in order to work properly.

Thank you as well SeriousWB, and thanks for embedding the vid  

Ok I posted this vid on three different sites, and after all of the conversations over the last year, and the reactions to this vid, I finnaly think I have the understanding I was looking for.  I think the reality is that Wii Boxing wasn't what a lot of people expected, especially in relation to the other Wii Sports.  On top of that, it came with a fairly steep learning curve that was also quite long from beggining to end (I still don't feel I have the game mastered %100...).  A lot of people didn't get past those two things, and a lot of others did.  The ones who did found out that even though it wasn't what they had expected, what it is is pretty fun and can work really well with practice.  In all honesty I can't remmember talking to anyone, in all the conversations, who was good at Wii Boxing and didn't like it. 

Someone said there was no point in putting in the effort to get good at Wii Boxing because it wasn't a deep game like Zelda.  A couple other people said it was broken because it wasn't simple like the other Wii Sports.  Its ironic because Wii Boxing was put on the disc for the core gamers who want a little more depth from thier games than the other four sports offered.  Wii Boxing hides an incredible amount of depth and strategy behind those unsuspecting Mii fighters lol, I only wish they would have allowed for atleast a 6 round match.  Its to the point that most of my matches with skilled opponents go the distance.

So thanks, I did indeed get the closure I wanted.  I understand why people chose not to play Wii Boxing, but I still think you are chosing to miss out one one of the funnest fighting games ever made. 

I played it a few times, and found out that furiously pushing and pulling your arms back and forth for three minutes ensures victory.

I tried the whole blocking and dodging thing, and all it does is turn the match into a "Metapod vs. Metapod" (excuse my Pokemon slang) match.

I've bested many a Wii owner in Wii Boxing by doing just that. I'm actually undefeated... no lie.