By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The 2008 US Presidential Election - Any opinions?

I am not kidding when I say this. Giuliani will be president over my dead body.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:

you um ehh like hunting ? a rifle with a high powerd scope maybe.

Blue3 said:
Darc Requiem said:

you um ehh like hunting ? a rifle with a high powerd scope maybe.

No I don't like hunting. It just angers me to an unimaginable level that Giuliani can get any serious consideration as a presidential candidate. Does anyone remember how unpopular he was before 9/11? He wasn't even going be re-elected mayor. His wife kicked him out of the mayors mansion for cheating, which wouldn't have been an issue if he was doing his job well. I don't really care about a politicials personal affairs when it doesn't impact on their job but being barred from the mayorial mansion when you are the mayor? All that pales in comparison to his defense of his corrupt police department. When your officers sodomize a guy with toilet plunger, shoot at an unarmed man for pulling out his wallet 41 times (hitting him 19 times), and shoot an unarmed mother, you should not have the gaul to get on TV defending them. 

To those saying that Giuliani is polling ahead of either Clinton or Obama in hypothetical races, check your facts. In a little over half the polls, he carries a narrow lead on Clinton, mostly within the poll's margin of error. In a few, Clinton has a non-significant edge herself. But Obama is leading over any Republican candidate in most all of the "hypothetical" polls. Ironic since he still trails Clinton by a decent margin.

Here's a great link to a compilation of all of the polls taken on this subject:

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh08gen.htm

I really can't see a Republican coming out to win the race this cycle. To win their primary, a Republican has to be staunchly pro-war. But the general electorate is strongly opposed to the war. As the general population gets more keyed in to the election and the lead candidates, you'll see an eroding of support for any pro-war candidate. The continued escalation of the war assures that it WILL be the central issue for the next election, and that favors the Democrats. Unless something changes that turns public support for the Iraq war, a Democrat will be elected. Either Clinton or Obama (hopefully Obama) will be our next president.

Book it.

On the gun laws issue within the ( USA Consitution- the 2nd Ammendment says..

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Basically, there are two ways this is interpreted..

1) You can focus on the the third clause - which is what gun owners do because they consider themselves an instrument preventing oppression (if you don't like the government, and if your vote doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, then you can at least knock off the officials)

2) Focus on the first clause - in which guns are given to citizens to make invasion (already difficult because of the size of the USA, and location between two massive Oceans) very, very difficult and costly in the event of war.

No one has the balls to bring the issue to the Supreme Court, because if the Court got rid of ambiguity, the gun nuts would go insane, and if it made guns legal, there would be a huge political and social backlash.  America is a pretty violent place too, so I imagine that if guns were illegal here there would actually be a moral cry that now only criminals have guns..which would raise crime rates..

I have no doubt in my mind that the writers of the second ammendment intended it to be confusing so that future generations would decide what it means for themselves...

Personally, I'm a liscenced sharpshooter, but I'd like to see guns outlawed.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Hillary/Obama ticket won't happen b/c hillary has no reason to let someone that would be scheming to unseat her in so easy. I think that it would be better for her to bring in her own veep b/c that option would allow for more control.

danny Bonaduce for president?

(joke)

from my european point of view, i hope for a democratic president. I think Obama is quite amazing and he could be a figure as kennedy was. I would also be happy with Hillary, but I doubt that it's good for a country to be ruled by two familes for two centuries (bush/clinton/bush/clinton would be the order if she gets president). I don't know much about Edwards, but from what I've heard he could be too much on the left side which wouldn't be good either (even if it's by far not as worse as being to much on the right side, imo). Gore would be awesome of course. You all made a huge mistake anyway not to choose him back in 2000.

I think I could also live with Giuliani, he did a good job in New York and is moderate enough to reunite your country. I'm surprised that most of you think he will make it, because here in Europe, the impression is that either Clinton or Obama will win the race, but maybe this is just wishful thinking.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I think it'll come down to Gulliani vs. Clinton but it won't matter who wins because Gulliani is almost a Democrat anyways.

I'm thinking of Obama, but I don't know if the fact that he's black will hurt him in the long run. I don't want to see any assassination attempts. I know plenty of people who like him, but are going to vote against him just to save his life. Perhaps there are lots of people out there that feel that way. It's sad that in our country, we can't simply vote on whomever we want. :(

-Darkness