By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The 2008 US Presidential Election - Any opinions?

Hilary and Obama are looking too strong, and I fear as others have stated that neither one can beat Giuliani next year. I like Edwards more than either of them anyway. I really hate that Warner dropped out, since he was one of the best governors Virginia has seen in a while (I still can't believe GILMORE is running in the red camp, God I'd love to see him win the primary and get slaughtered in November).

Around the Network
tk1989 said:
which is left wing and which is right wing? :P

Democrats are on the left, Republicans on the right.

It's Giuliani.

McCain is from Arizona.

Romney was governor of Massachusetts (and also in charge of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics).

It is too early to dismiss other candidates than the leaders in any case (there are currently 11 declared Republican and 8 declared Democratic candidates).

>koffieboon said:
Well, mainly I hope the American People will vote for a wise leader, one to solve problems around the world instead of creating new ones. One who at least also looks at environmental concerns instead of always putting economic growth in first place. And maybe a president with enough balls to finally start putting serious restrictions on gunlaws as well.

Which environmental issues are you talking about?  Just curious because that is so general as to prevent an intelligent response.

No president can do anything about gun laws.  Part of our Constitution says "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed."  This means to stop people from getting guns would require a constitutional amendment, which requires a 2/3 majority in Congress and 3/4 of the states to ratify such a change.  This is not going to happen anytime soon.  The biggest restrictions you might get nationally (localities can be more restrictive; for example, Washington, DC outlaws handguns) is a return of the assault weapons ban. 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

tk1989 said:

Sorry, im not very interested in American politics, as its normally idiots who get in2 power.

They're both right wing, just like in all other countries.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I have to say I'm watching Hilary, largely because of her husband. There was the hole sex thing there with him but by and large the nation loves him and let's face it that might, probably will, be a factor. In my opinon Clinton did well for this country, and the fact that the "minorities" like Bill so much it may very easily translate to her.
Where as as sad as it is to say Obahma is not white, maybe people will not vote for him just on that. I also heard a black woman on TV saying he wasn't black which might hurt him with that.

It's sad to say it but the racial acceptance we have is mostly because it's illegal to be otherwise. I hate to say it because there are some people who are really unaffected by race but the as$holes always seem to come through the loudest.

a lesser of two evils, is there really any point in choosing one ?

Around the Network

i vote for hillary...DUFF MAN SHES FLY I WOULD LOVE TO TAP DAT!!!!!!!!!

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

omgwtfbbq said:
tk1989 said:

Sorry, im not very interested in American politics, as its normally idiots who get in2 power.

They're both right wing, just like in all other countries.

QFT

I like this little known guy Ron Paul. I've seen a few of his speeches and he seems like he really knows what's going on as opposed to everyone else who just sound like... politicians. I also like Mike Gravel. He seems able to speak his mind and has some interesting things to say. I suggest you guys check them out especially if you feel you're in a "lesser of two evils" situation. It'd be a shame if they lost just because they were unheard of.

I don't actually live in the US but I just like to keep myself informed. The world seems to be facing a lot of problems currently and the impending US election could greatly influence how the world as a whole faces these problems and if we are able to overcome them.

I'm surprised there isn't more support for Edwards.
Granted, the situation with his wife might not make him a viable option, but he definitely is the strongest of the Democrats in my opinion.

Not quite sure if America can handle a black or female president yet. Edwards is a good candidate, but I need to look into this some more.