By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The 2008 US Presidential Election - Any opinions?

I haven't seen any real threads about this yet. Some of you might not be able vote, or are outside of the US, but your input is most appreciated.

For the most part, the candidates are in the race(s), and there are some clear (and to me, worrysome) candidates gaining ground. But of course, that's just me. I'm a social and economic conservative, and for the most part, dislike both major efforts by both parties.

In the Democratic Candidate corner, we have:

Hillary Clinton, former First Lady and current Senator of New York

Barak Obama, 1-term Senator of Illinois

John Edwards, former Senator of North Carolina and former VP-hopeful in 2004

and maybe Bill Richardson - Governor of New Mexico.

In the other corner, for the Republican Candidates, we have:

Rudolph Gulliani - Former Mayor of New York City

John McCain - Multi-Term Current Senator from Arizona (or is it Nevada)

Mitt Romney - Former Governor or Massachusetts (I believe)

and Fred Thompson - Former Senator of Tennessee.

So who do you like, and dislike? To me, this is probably the most wide, and diverse election we've ever had. However, I'm rather dissapointed in the front runners. We either get Hillary, the radical femnist, or RINO Gulliani. I'm certainly not a fan of Hillary, and almost as much as Gulliani, but Gulliani has the advantage of being very financially conservative, and strong on national security, and such.

IMO, my favorites are Bill Richardson for the Dems, and Fred Thompson for the Republicans, with me going to vote for Sen. Thompson in the primaries, if he's running at that point. I believe he's been doing good in polls, but that can always change.

However, most polls show that in the event of Hillary-Gulianni that Gulliani will win by a pretty convincing margin. Is there any way that she could win, or if there could be a 3rd party candidate to steal something (ie, Ross Perot in 1992, Ind. Candidate from the green party that I can't think of's name in 2000).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I think Obama will end up coming through the Democratic primaries..

But I don't know whether he will be a candidate for Vice President or for President.

That said, I wouldn't rule out a last minute push by Gore if the Democrats think an African or a woman can't win, since neither has even come close in history.

On the Republican side, you have a bunch of shall we say 'unique' candidates.  I don't think Guliani will play in the heartland with Conservative voters, he is pretty moderate, and when pressed he is pro-choice among other controversial issues..

Harry Reid is a Mormon, but Romney seems to be having more trouble with (also - I thought he was Virginia governor..)

McCain I think is interesting, since he is an old school politician who actually knows how to reach young voters - he is on the Daily Show and does stuff through You Tube...

All three of these candidates get flack from Evangelicals for various reasons..whether it is the loan scandal (McCain), Romney over religious ideology/mormon stereotypes, and I don't think Gulliani is Conservative enough to be nominated..for President.

For both parties you need a candidate who impresses the ideologues at the left or the right, then moves toward the ideological center to get elected.  Because of that, I think you'll end up seeing these two tickets:

Democrats: Obama-Clinton or Obama-Gore, because of the two fusions of Democratic ideology, Clinton era centrism with Obama's more liberal ideology..

Republicans: McCain-Guiliani as a broadly drawing ticket, or McCain-Romney if the Republicans want a more Conservative ticket and think Romney would be ok in due course.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Well, mainly I hope the American People will vote for a wise leader, one to solve problems around the world instead of creating new ones. One who at least also looks at environmental concerns instead of always putting economic growth in first place. And maybe a president with enough balls to finally start putting serious restrictions on gunlaws as well.

I am watching 3 candidates, 2 are republican and one is democrat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

Around the Network

which is left wing and which is right wing? :P

Sorry, im not very interested in American politics, as its normally idiots who get in2 power.

I am only looking at Obama and Hilary. IF either of them end up as the democratic candidate, I believe the Republicans will win. Reason being, I dont think the US is ready for either a black or female president. If not, then it is a Democratic victory.

The republican candidates are very unkown, except for Guliani. And, he has the pro-choice swing vote anyway. Democrats seem to have a stronger showing.

In the end, however, it doesnt really interest me. Whosoever is in power will be liked and disliked for his decisions. You cant please all of the people all of the time.

I plan on moving to Europe in a few years anyway, so it does not concern me much.

Hillary and Obama. Not sure which will be prez or vice, but the idea of breaking the white-male mold for both offices is amazing.

I personally think Obama is a good guy overall.

Same here Hilary or Obama btoth look like great candiates for president

I believe Obama as president and john edwards as vice president or vica versa would do some good for this country

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary