By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Updates

BenKenobi88 said:
I hope they allow videos to go straight to emails or a site or something...Skate videos do...and it saves harddrive space on 360 and it would definitely save memory space on the Wii...I hope Nintendo is smart enough to realize this.

Otherwise...I'm gonna have to get a video-in for my PC so I can record easier.

I doubt it will have a "video" replay.  More then likely the wii will just record all the movements of the charactures and will rerender the moves in the game engin durring replay.  This would mean that no actual video file will exist and there-for cannot be sent to email or anything other then SMBB players. 

The minimal memory space on the Wii would not allow for 3 minutes of uncompressed video recording, and compressing and encoding of the video would take to much of the procesing power away from rendering the game.

But one of the cool things that the characture only method will allow for is the ability to watch the replay from different angles and the ability to zoom in on massive hits.  This would be great for 'rubbibg it in' if you beat someone who bragged alot.

Around the Network

That seems likely, JHawkNH, except that it shows that you can also save the videos to an SD card...so how would that system work then? Would it have to encode and compress the video at that time?

All I want is to be able to view these videos on the PC...they don't do me as much good if they can't leave the Wii, because we'll be stuck with posting shaky cam videos of our TV screens on Youtube yet again.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

C'mon, people.

First of all, saying that there are 5 different "styles" and different maps per character in each style is pure speculation. That is NOT implied in the wording of the update. All that is said is that there is "five different maps of varying difficulty—challenges you can take on with your favorite character."

Second, don't get your hopes up for easily uploading game video onto YouTube. It probably isn't saving video, but just "replays"--random occurences and button presses. Video is in some ways less useful anyways. A replay of a 4 player match on New Pork City would probably be more worthwhile if you could zoom as needed without losing resolution...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Beaten to the punch...

BenKenobi... You can save anything to the SD card. That doesn't mean something other than a Wii with Smash Bros. running will know what to do with it.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Sonic with bunny ears will be crazy.

Need people to play online with me for Brawl.
4382-1731-1511.

Name is DROAK.  

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
That seems likely, JHawkNH, except that it shows that you can also save the videos to an SD card...so how would that system work then? Would it have to encode and compress the video at that time?

All I want is to be able to view these videos on the PC...they don't do me as much good if they can't leave the Wii, because we'll be stuck with posting shaky cam videos of our TV screens on Youtube yet again.

How I see this working is that the 'replay data' would be time stamped by frame (60 data structures per player per second)  and the Wii record all the controller data for each frame. (What buttons are pushed, what are the positions of the joy sticks, ect)  When the replay mode is run, the Wii would then enter these data structures per frame into a virtual controller.  It would be like replaying the game the exact way that you did when you first played it.  This would save a tremendous amount of time, processing power, and memory space.

That is not to say they may not ad a video encorer later to allow you to turn this data into an actual video file.  But I doubt they will do that.

Erik, I'm aware it's pure speculation, but everything is pure speculation because he wasn't clear on the point.

If the Wii doesn't have enough built in memory, maybe it's a combination of re-rendering for people with no SD card, but if you have one, it'll record the video onto it instead of just re-rendering button presses and occurrences. You know, like after you finish the match, you can watch it again and zoom in on everything and such, but if you have an SD card you can transfer it to the card as a video file and keep it, and the Wii can just delete the temporary memory it had to take up to replay the video.

I read it, and thought it was 5 per character. My brother read it, and he thought it was 5 in total.

Replay Videos!

Number of updates each character has been in:

• Mario: 56
  • Kirby: 38
  • Link: 38
  • Wario: 38
  • Fox: 31
  • Yoshi: 28
  • Pikachu: 27
  • Pit: 26   
  • ZSS: 19
  • DK: 19
  • Metaknight: 18  
  • Samus: 17 
  • Bowser: 16
  • Zelda: 15  
  • Peach: 14  
  • Diddy Kong: 13 
  • Ike: 12  
  • PT: 7
  • Snake: 7
  • Lucas: 7
  • Sonic: 4
  • IC: 3
  • Sonic passes the Ice Climbers, Diddy passes Ike.