By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Updates

DonWii said:

Brawl E4All Impressions.

Disclaimer: Most of these impressions are from hardcore smash players.

I don't know what people know, but i just talked to Gimpy and some Oregon people on the phone who have been playing a Brawl demo setup for 1v1 with the classic controller, here's what they've said so far:

no wavedashing and no wavelanding

airdodging is like how we predicted, just go with momentum,

Fox can SH triple laser.
Fox can jump out of shine, but it requires that you hold down and B, you can't let go or he'll go into a different animation, hold down and b and then jump.

Bowser is hardcore.
Claw is ridiculous
Bowser will probably be top tier
Up+B out of shield is same, just as powerful.

Samus has a dark suit red visor, Fusion suit, Sonic costumes are recolors of blue, Fox has a starwolf outfit. Diddy Kong has Dixie Kong outfit without the hair, Bowser has a golden costume, made out of gold.

Mario's fsmash is so slow,

Samus can't missile cancel, animation doesn't stop, hard to do though.
Bomb jumping is tough, hitting bombs not directly on top of them knocks you to the side.
If you die as zero suit, you stay as zero suit, you can't automatically be zero suit like changing from Zelda to Sheik at the beginning of a round.

Samus charged shot isn't strong, peach was shot with it fully charged at 87% didn't kill.

Can catch edge even if you're facing wrong way, edgehogging is easy. Edgehogging will be the new edgeguard of choice, characters ‘click’ to it.

Peach is nerfed.
Peach’s dsmash is nerfed, no range
Float canceling not sure
Peach seems heavier

Sonic, not as good as you expect
moves don't have much knockback, kind of 'loose',
all the new chars, he's least popular, hardest learning curve

Do an aerial that has forward momentum and when you land it’s almost the same as a waveland. Certain moves / aerials have less friction/traction,

DI is more pronounced, you can get out of stuff a lot easier, takes knockback easier, can survive until 150.

L-canceling is not in as far as we can tell.

How does the game feel: Feels slower, definitely, on classic, feels awkward, accidentally jump alot, can't SH on the wiimote, everyone is so floaty. Brawl plays really differently, it’s awkward for now because not used to it. Not a lot of lag for moves, maybe lag lowered for sake of demo.

I tried L-Cancelling with Link's dair repeatedly this morning. All seemed to recover at the same speed as doing a dair without trying to L-cancel. And if a long recovery time like that isn't l-cancelable... doubt anything else would be. So that appears out.

I reconfirmed momentum dodging. You either can't control the direction at all (aside from being going in the direction you want before you air dodge, lol), or it's very very minor. It doesn't give any type of push, so it'll go to your normal trajectory and then start going downwards. So wavedashing as we knew it is indeed gone.

After you air dodge, there's about a 1 second delay (of falling helplessly) before you can do anything. You can jump and even Up B after that, though. I don't recall 100%, but I'm pretty sure that you don't get your jump back if you already used it. I also don't recall testing specifically if you can double air dodge, but it seems likely as long as it doens't give you your jump back and it would also explain the delay after an Air dodge (that way if you're falling to the stage, you can't spam air dodge and be safe all the way down). - So those of you thinking you'll Air Dodge and then do an aerial combo right after as a counterattack (thinking that's how aerial combat would be improved - which I think would've been sweet)... sorry, but not gonna happen..

Crawling seems to be like walljumping was, in that not everyone has it. I did it with Pikachu but couldn't do it with Mario (bah, he could crawl some of his games) or Sonic (so my friend was wrong, I guess). I almost thought that was Pika's walk after I thought about it, but the Nintendo World Video on the Dojo shows Pika using his old walk (along with Mario, right before Wario shows up). So crawling = character specific. --- The input for Pika was just diagonal down.

Dashing dancing appears to be possible, but different. It took me a bit, but I kinda did it with Peach, Ike, and Fox. Fox looked the most like oldschool dash dancing, whereas when I did it with the other two it was taking me longer to turn around (think Zelda's dance dash...). I kept jumping out of Fox's... but it's not like I'm used to using the Classic Controller.

I didn't see an opening dash move for Fox (where it'd be most noticeable to me) when I tested, so foxtrotting looks to be gone.

We already knew this, but shorthop and fastfall are still there. Also, you can jump directly out of your shield (was shielding with Fox, and hit a jump button on Classic Controller and he jumped out of it).

As Zauron isn't going to have the time to keep this thread updated, I'll post a full report of what I've learned in the Impressions thread. Prolly 5 hours from now or so, as I don't want to start on it at work, but not be able to finish it. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121130

Lastly, Dark Link looks friggin' awesome. If you think otherwise after seeing him, you need to have your eyes checked and/or may not have the ability to recognize sheer awesomeness (in which case the rest of us both pity and laugh at you). - Think Black Link from Melee. Now makes his skin dark brown (think... really severe tan). Now make his eyes glow red. And that's Dark Link in a nutshell.

I will elaborate later but for right now this is a list of things I have seen or played.

- Sonic's costumes: they are only recolors of blue with different wristbands. Kinda lame.

- Bowser is pretty much the same since melee except fsmash is WEAKER now and he has some awesome biting taunts and a golden outfit. Seriously awesome. He can still up +B out of the shield and it rawks.

-Fox actually isn't THAT nerfed. he has an outfit that kinda looks like starwolf except not grey enough. His shine CAN be jump cancelled but it is really strange. You have to hold down + B WHILE hitting jump or you IMMEDIATELY go into the "unshining" animation. This new quick "unshine" lets you multishine really easily in the air by just tapping down B. His uair and usmash are a bit weaker but still kill well. You can still shinespike but it has less stun and knockback. Shine doesn't clank with as nearly as many things anymore, and Fox's fair is better.

-Ike's Final smash is weird. You have to be like RIGHT NEXT to someone but if it lands it is an awesome combo resulting in a one hit KO. Metaknights is kinda the same way but with one slash. Donkey Kong's is the easiest to dodge by just not being close to him. ZSS's final smash is just turning back into Samus with damage if you touch her while she goes back into Samus mode.

-Diddy is actually quite speedy with attacks and has a good variety of moves. Donkey Kong is like Bowser, almost exactly the same with a few tweaks. Diddy's moves are kind of like a Luigi-fied DK's. He also has a costume with Dixie's colors (pink).

Metaknight isn't broken and actually no characters really dominated. Peach's turnips seem to almost always come out "regular" and her whorenado has been nerfed but it can still be CCed for massive damage. Samus can still CCC with her dtilt but missle cancelling is gone. Bomb jumping is really hard and not really beneficial with Samus because of how floaty you are and how small the stages are. DI is really weird but I will get into that later.

One more thing before I go (for now):

Fox's lasers have less range, but you can now short hop TRIPLE laser. Epic.

Bump

Around the Network

Wow the bridge level looks freaking awesome your right ben wayyy bigger than i expected.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

explosion mode:

smart bomb + motion sensor bomb + bob-omb + gooey bomb + cracker launcher + franklin badge (so bombs will bounce off of you) + tiny stage = AN ALL OUT BRAWL!!!!!!!!

Subsace Emissary:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26643.html

Embedded SD version:

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

****ing amazing! now if only they can show us Fox's...

Holy Crap. Did not expect that.

Oh cool, they give the option of playing the embedded SD version or opening a new window for the HD version...nice. Now I don't have to provide links to the HD versions anymore...the versions you should ALL be watching! They just don't fit in the forums here.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

And yes...amazing! And hopefully Sakurai doesn't give us this as an upcoming Dojo update...I doubt he would though, as this only contains information we already knew...just with characters and introductions we've never seen.

Very cool! I can't wait to play co-op adventure mode.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

NVM.

Just AWESOME