By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - US Market...thats that then...

ikilledkenny said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:
*snip*

So sad, you're just running round in circles trying to find something when the truth is nintendo just keep on rehashing the same old sequels over and over again whilst releasing very few new original ip's and 1. even fewer non casual games. 2. In the past 3 generations sony have released more new ip's than nintendo and half of the franchises sony have released 5 more sequels to they have stopped making them now and have moved onto new things unlike nintendo who continue to whore out all their games they have released 5 or more sequels to. Just look at this generation, so far 3. nintendo have released 11 sequels to old ip's where as sony have only released 5. New nintendo ip's 3, new sony ip's 6.

1. I would hardly call the titles Nintendo puts out as "casual". Mario, Zelda, Smash Brothers, and Metroid are all very core gamer centric titles.

2. Could this possibly be because Sony didn't exist in the gaming world before that point (PS1), and would need to create new IPs urgently? Nintendo already had a large stable of franchises. They weren't desperate for games to identify themselves with.

3. Well, this is true. However, why would you not make great sequels to great games if you could? That's how business works- an established brand name is a major boost. Plus, you probably like companies such as Square-Enix, which pretty much makes only Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, with the occassional Kingdom Hearts thrown in. Plus, as viper1 pointed out, a lot of those games were made by defunct studios, are no longer owned by Sony, or were never owned by Sony. Besides, a lot of the games you mentioned, such as Killzone, are mediocre at best, which brings us to an even better question? Why would we WANT sequels to some of those games?

1. My reference to casual games was to nintendo's new ip's that they are creating not their old ones.

2. This still doesn't change the fact that for the past 3 generations if i want to play a nintendo game i'm stuck largely playing rehashed sequels or casual games. Where are my new original traditional games they are few and far between.

3. If every sequel was something new with only the same name and some of the old characters then that wouldn't be a problem, but when every major nintendo game has the same old basic story, with the same old basic items, weapons, enemies, moves, final bosses, game mechanics etc. that's the problem. If you've never played one of these nintendo games before then it's not a problem, but when you've play 4 or 5 of them from the same franchise you soon realise you've just playing the same game over and over again with minimal changes.

Around the Network

Have I said Sony hasn't released more unique IP this gen? Huh?

I didn't say Sony was the lesser of two whores, read the statement again. I said YOU are suggesting it.

Fact is, if Nintendo is a whore for franchising their IP's, so too is Sony. What you are trying to do is mitigate the severity of how much a whore Sony is. That's like saying Hooker A has 10 johns per day while Hooker B has only 8 johns per day.

You're suggesting it's OK to be Hooker B but Hooker A is such a whore.

EDIT: You can add Siren to the list of Sony IP's getting reused.  This time, not even a sequel but a remake.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

I didn't say Sony was the lesser of two whores, read the statement again. I said YOU are suggesting it.

Fact is, if Nintendo is a whore for franchising their IP's, so too is Sony. What you are trying to do is mitigate the severity of how much a whore Sony is. That's like saying Hooker A has 10 johns per day while Hooker B has only 8 johns per day.

EDIT: You can add Siren to the list of Sony IP's getting reused. This time, not even a sequel but a remake.

Is that the best you can come up with? Sorry the fact is sony don't rehash their games as much as nintendo do and the've been releasing more original ip's for a very long time as well.

cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

EDIT: You can add Siren to the list of Sony IP's getting reused. This time, not even a sequel but a remake.

Is that the best you can come up with? Sorry the fact is sony don't rehash their games as much as nintendo do and the've been releasing more original ip's for a very long time as well.

You keep posting as though I don't know and acknowledge this.  Why is that?

My point was not to suggest that they are 1:1 with franchise releases but that they both, just as every other major publisher on the planet, continues to release new iterations of their popular and profitable franchises.

The fact is we get 1 sometimes 2 (if we're lucky) titles from a franchise per generation while Sony is reelasing at times many more than that.   The difference being that nintendo has had twice as many consoles to spread those out on and in the process attain a higher total per franchise.

How many Mario, Smash, Mario Kart and Zelda titles did we get on GC?  6.

How many Jak, Sly, Socom and Ratchet titles did we get on PS2? 16.

Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

You keep posting as though I don't know and acknowledge this. Why is that?

My point was not to suggest that they are 1:1 with franchise releases but that they both, just as every other major publisher on the planet, continues to release new iterations of their popular and profitable franchises.

The fact is we get 1 sometimes 2 (if we're lucky) titles from a franchise per generation while Sony is reelasing at times many more than that. The difference being that nintendo has had twice as many consoles to spread those out on and in the process attain a higher total per franchise.

How many Mario, Smash, Mario Kart and Zelda titles did we get on GC? 6.

I state the facts, if you acknowledge them then you should stop posting, if you continue to argue then you are not acknowledging the facts. Lol and of those 4 games you listed for each console how many of those nintendo ip's are new, the answer is zero, and how many of those ip's were new for sony last gen ALL OF THEM. How many of those nintendo franchises do nintendo still whore out, the answer is ALL OF THEM. How many do sony still whore out, the answer is 3 out of 4 with no plans to make another sly game. How many of those 4 nintendo games already have a sequel released this generation, the answer is ALL OF THEM. How many have sony released a sequel to from those games, the answer is 2. Sorry you have no leg to stand on.

Around the Network

Again, 10 john per day whore or 8 john per day whore?

Viper1 said:

If you mean by that nintendo are worse than sony for whoring out and rehashing the same old games then yes.

Cooking, you are the only person upset about this, no one else fucking cares at all, so stop bitching and accept that people like the "old, rehashed, unoriginal and milked franchises" Nintendo produces. Stick to your PS3 for all I care Nintendo will come up with more new IP's, and if they don't, fuck it, I still have hundreds of older IP's and thats why I chose Nintendo after all.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

If you mean by that nintendo are worse than sony for whoring out and rehashing the same old games then yes.

Finally you get it.

My entire point for enterting this thread was to acknowledge the issue of Sony whoring out just like Nintendo, and every other major publisher, does.    The problem has been that many Sony fanspoint the whore finger at Nintendo while never looking at the total number of johns Sony bangs each day theymselves.  

You pulled the same duck and cover routine they all do when faced with the facts....you go for the new unique IP's (which are getting whored out on PS3 now already with Resistence 2, Motorstorm 2, etc...).  But the really important fact remains ALL publishers franchise their big games repeatedly.  Look at the biggest games of this generation....sequels.

GTAIV,  Call of Duty 4, MGS 4,  SSBB, halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 8, Mario Kart Wii, GT5 Prologue, etc...

X360 top 10 - 7 sequels

PS3 top 10 - 6 sequels

Wii top 10 - 6 sequels

cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

You keep posting as though I don't know and acknowledge this. Why is that?

The fact is we get 1 sometimes 2 (if we're lucky) titles from a franchise per generation while Sony is reelasing at times many more than that. The difference being that nintendo has had twice as many consoles to spread those out on and in the process attain a higher total per franchise.

How many Mario, Smash, Mario Kart and Zelda titles did we get on GC? 6.

I state the facts, if you acknowledge them then you should stop posting, if you continue to argue then you are not acknowledging the facts. Lol and of those 4 games you listed for each console how many of those nintendo ip's are new, the answer is zero, and how many of those ip's were new for sony last gen ALL OF THEM. How many of those nintendo franchises do nintendo still whore out, the answer is ALL OF THEM. How many do sony still whore out, the answer is 3 out of 4 with no plans to make another sly game. How many of those 4 nintendo games already have a sequel released this generation, the answer is ALL OF THEM. How many have sony released a sequel to from those games, the answer is 2. Sorry you have no leg to stand on.
This is hilarious.  Let's start with a simple question.  How many consoles (non-portable) had Nintendo released before the Gamecube?  Three.  How many had Sony released before the PS2?  One.  Gee, I wonder who is more likely to have preexisting IPs running around to exploit? 

Second:  Oh wow, so if a new IP comes out to great success it's A-OK to put it out to gangbang for crack money as long as you get the lead out and do it on the same console the series premiered on?  But once the next console is out it's a deadly sin?  I guess that mentality might explain the number of games Viper says those series got on the PS2. 

Third:  Nintendo takes great care of their IPs; Zelda, Mario, etc. have been there from the very beginning.  If they were shoveling the same shit out the door year after year do you honestly think those games would still meet with the success that they do?  SMG WAS rated 2nd highest of all time you know, and the sales aren't shabby either.  What I'm trying to say here is that it's not some kind of horrible thing to cultivate a good franchise; it's only overexploitation (from a gamer's perspective) when they do it to the point that quality suffers.  The fact that Sony's trail is littered with the corpses of so many formerly great series is now a good thing in your eyes?  (And they've only been in the biz for half as long as Nintendo!) 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!