By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - US Market...thats that then...

Cookingyourmama... the real question is, how much of those titles will end up on the PS4. Am I wrong to expect a Metal Gear Solid Spin-off on it? GT6? Uncharted will undoubtedly be on sequel number 3 by then. Ratchet and Clank had enough succes to warrant a sequal...

Uncharted, Resistance and the rest you mentioned... are indeed new IP's and you are right that Sony has more new IP's this generation then Nintendo (could also be wrong but I'm to half-asses this sunday to look it up.)
Main point is... Motorstorm, Uncharted, Resistance. All have already confirmed to be followed up upon. Uncharted is already coined up for a whole series. We get Motorstorm: Pacific Drift in late 2008 - two years after the first one is released. 2 Years. Between mario Kart Wii and double dash was 4.5 years.
Between Twilight princess and Wind waker? 3.5 years.

I hope you see wht I'm trying to say. Sony is just as capable of chruning out sequels to both existing franchises and new IP's - sometimes even faster then Nintendo - given the time to do it.

I'll even be so bold to say that Nintendo most likely has less new IP's both due to fans demand of classics relived, but also because Nintendo tends to take more development time then sony.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:

O wow i don't know where to even begin, their's so much cherry picking of data and the data is not even right to being with.

With the data you have you are wrong about the following games:

Starfox has 5 games not 4.

Jet moto has 3 games not 4.

Jumping flash has 2 games not 3.

Twisted Metal has 6 games no 7.

Sony made games that you missed off your list:

The getaway - 2 games
warhawk - 2 games
Fantavision - 1 game
ICO - 1 game
Jak and Daxter - 3 games
Frequency - 2 games
dark cloud - 2 games
Kinetica - 1 game
Extermination - 1 game
Okage: Shadow King - 1 game
Tsugunai: Atonement - 1 game
Ratchet & Clank - 5 games
sly cooper - 3 games
socom - 4 games
The Mark of Kri - 1 game
Drakan: The Ancients' Gates - 1 game
Jet X2O - 1 game
Treasure Planet - 1 game
War of the monsters - 1 game
Downhill domination - 1 game
EverQuest Online Adventures - 1 game
Primal - 1 game
Killzone - 1 game
siren - 2 games
God of war - 2 games
Shadow of the colossus - 1 game
Genji - 2 games
Rise of the Kasai - 1 game
Neopets: The Darkest Faerie - 1 game
Tourist Trophy - 1 game
Rogue Galaxy - 1 game
Hot Shots Tennis - 1 game
Tomba - 2 games
Einhander - 1 game
G police - 1 game
Uncharted - 1 game
Resistance - 1 game
Motorstorm - 1 game
Heavenly Sword - 1 game
Folklore - 1 game
The eye of judgement - 1 game

Nintendo made games that you missed off your list:

Wario - 6 titles
Tetris - 6 games
Pokemon - 9 games
Mario spin offs - 20 titles
Mario strikers - 2 titles
Mario tennis - 2 titles
Yoshi - 3 games
animal crossing - 1 game
luigi's mansion - 1 game
Mario Baseball - 1 game
Wiisports - 1 game
wiiplay - 1 game
wiifit - 1 game
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - 1 game
Duck hunt - 1 game
Kid Icarus - 1 game
Ice Climber - 1 game

Star Fox: 4 NOT 5. 
SNES - Star Fox
N64 - Star Fox 64
Gamecube - Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault

Jumping Flash: 3 NOT 2
PS - Jumping Flash, Jumping Flash! 2 and Jumping Flash! 3: Robbit Mon Dieu.

I'll grant you the others I had listed were cancelled.

As for those franshies you listed, you might want to look further up the thread.  I already listed all those.  Hell, you even replied to that post.  Oh and Jak has 4 games to his series, not 3. 

I didn't list Pokemon or Tetris just like I left out Buzz and Singstar from my calculations. 

If you want to talk fudging the numbers, why did you include a whole lot more obscure single games published by Sony than Nintendo?  My formula was based solely on franchises (you do know that means games with more than one title, don't you?) so that the comaprison was more realistic.   If I wanted to list every single Nintendo published title, the average sequel per game ratio would drop below 1.

I still think the point has been made.  Sony is just as guilty of whoring out their IP's.  Many of which they sold off or no longer publish that continue today such as Spyro, Crash and King of Fighters.

Nobody is saying Sony hasn't generated a lot of new IP this generation but as has been pointed out, most already have a sequel coming.  That moves them from new unique IP to sequelitis just like every major publisher on the planet.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

At the VERY end of this gen (very very end)

PS3 will pass Xbox360 IN USA too

and Xbox360 will be third everywhere

Actual US sales are just confirming that, as in PAL, the more expansive PS3 is topping the cheaper Xbox360 because of the BR player.

Time to Work !

Esmoreit said:
Cookingyourmama... the real question is, how much of those titles will end up on the PS4. Am I wrong to expect a Metal Gear Solid Spin-off on it? GT6? Uncharted will undoubtedly be on sequel number 3 by then. Ratchet and Clank had enough succes to warrant a sequal...

Uncharted, Resistance and the rest you mentioned... are indeed new IP's and you are right that Sony has more new IP's this generation then Nintendo (could also be wrong but I'm to half-asses this sunday to look it up.)
Main point is... Motorstorm, Uncharted, Resistance. All have already confirmed to be followed up upon. Uncharted is already coined up for a whole series. We get Motorstorm: Pacific Drift in late 2008 - two years after the first one is released. 2 Years. Between mario Kart Wii and double dash was 4.5 years.
Between Twilight princess and Wind waker? 3.5 years.

I hope you see wht I'm trying to say. Sony is just as capable of chruning out sequels to both existing franchises and new IP's - sometimes even faster then Nintendo - given the time to do it.

I'll even be so bold to say that Nintendo most likely has less new IP's both due to fans demand of classics relived, but also because Nintendo tends to take more development time then sony.

Some of those games will end up on the ps4 but most likely not all of them, unlike nintendo that will carry over 99% of the games they always do and rehash them for their 8th, 9th, 10th versions of the game. It's ok to make some sequels but their comes a point when you have to say enough is enough because the game is just the same game over and over again and a new game needs to be created instead. Sony create a large amount of new ip's whilst only keeping a few of their established games where as nintendo create next to no new ip's and continue to rehash 99% of their old games over and over again whilst throwing their characters into spin off games for marketing reasons.

Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:

O wow i don't know where to even begin, their's so much cherry picking of data and the data is not even right to being with.

With the data you have you are wrong about the following games:

Starfox has 5 games not 4.

Jet moto has 3 games not 4.

Jumping flash has 2 games not 3.

Twisted Metal has 6 games no 7.

Sony made games that you missed off your list:

The getaway - 2 games
warhawk - 2 games
Fantavision - 1 game
ICO - 1 game
Jak and Daxter - 3 games
Frequency - 2 games
dark cloud - 2 games
Kinetica - 1 game
Extermination - 1 game
Okage: Shadow King - 1 game
Tsugunai: Atonement - 1 game
Ratchet & Clank - 5 games
sly cooper - 3 games
socom - 4 games
The Mark of Kri - 1 game
Drakan: The Ancients' Gates - 1 game
Jet X2O - 1 game
Treasure Planet - 1 game
War of the monsters - 1 game
Downhill domination - 1 game
EverQuest Online Adventures - 1 game
Primal - 1 game
Killzone - 1 game
siren - 2 games
God of war - 2 games
Shadow of the colossus - 1 game
Genji - 2 games
Rise of the Kasai - 1 game
Neopets: The Darkest Faerie - 1 game
Tourist Trophy - 1 game
Rogue Galaxy - 1 game
Hot Shots Tennis - 1 game
Tomba - 2 games
Einhander - 1 game
G police - 1 game
Uncharted - 1 game
Resistance - 1 game
Motorstorm - 1 game
Heavenly Sword - 1 game
Folklore - 1 game
The eye of judgement - 1 game

Nintendo made games that you missed off your list:

Wario - 6 titles
Tetris - 6 games
Pokemon - 9 games
Mario spin offs - 20 titles
Mario strikers - 2 titles
Mario tennis - 2 titles
Yoshi - 3 games
animal crossing - 1 game
luigi's mansion - 1 game
Mario Baseball - 1 game
Wiisports - 1 game
wiiplay - 1 game
wiifit - 1 game
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - 1 game
Duck hunt - 1 game
Kid Icarus - 1 game
Ice Climber - 1 game

Star Fox: 4 NOT 5.
SNES - Star Fox
N64 - Star Fox 64
Gamecube - Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault

Jumping Flash: 3 NOT 2
PS - Jumping Flash, Jumping Flash! 2 and Jumping Flash! 3: Robbit Mon Dieu.

I'll grant you the others I had listed were cancelled.

As for those franshies you listed, you might want to look further up the thread. I already listed all those. Hell, you even replied to that post. Oh and Jak has 4 games to his series, not 3.

I didn't list Pokemon or Tetris just like I left out Buzz and Singstar from my calculations.

If you want to talk fudging the numbers, why did you include a whole lot more obscure single games published by Sony than Nintendo? My formula was based solely on franchises (you do know that means games with more than one title, don't you?) so that the comaprison was more realistic. If I wanted to list every single Nintendo published title, the average sequel per game ratio would drop below 1.

I still think the point has been made. Sony is just as guilty of whoring out their IP's. Many of which they sold off or no longer publish that continue today such as Spyro, Crash and King of Fighters.

Nobody is saying Sony hasn't generated a lot of new IP this generation but as has been pointed out, most already have a sequel coming. That moves them from new unique IP to sequelitis just like every major publisher on the planet.

As for starfox and jumping flash those were mistakes in the databases i looked at but those two games don't change the fact nintendo are worse than sony for rehashing the same old games over and over again. Including all those sony games show that sony unlike nintendo don't feel the need to go make sequels to nearly all their games. Sony is not as guilty for whoring out ip's as nintendo and i've already proved that, sony have stopped making sequels to over half their ip's that have 5 or more sequels unlike nintendo who continue to whore out all their franchises with 5 or more sequels as well as taking the same old nintendo characters and dumping them in spin off games for marketing reasons. A simple fact you need to grasp is a few sequels are a good thing, as well as that taking a few franchises and making alot of sequels for them is also ok provided that's not all you are doing, and to do that you need to release new ip's, if all you do is whore out the same old games over and over again, generation after generation and don't move on then that is a bad thing, and that's exactly what nintendo are doing and not sony.

Around the Network

@cooking~: Then there are a lot of stupid people around the world who keep purchasing the same games all over again? Strange that most of the Sony games you named arent even popular, while most of the Nintendo games are.
If we get sequels means the games are good, face it Nintendo makes quality games, and mind you they are never the same.
You fail.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Ok I think this thread has gotten way off topic. My point wasn't that one company rehashes old IP's more. It was simply that we know from the past that Sony Always releases a ton of top notch IP's throughout a generation. The PS2 did not sell over 120 mil consoles because they got a big lead early. they sold that many because they gave people reasons to buy a PS2 throughout the generation. God of War did not come till the end of last gen. If you think people will buy the Wii in 2010 just because it was popular in 2008, you are deludeing yourself. Ninty will have to give people reasons to continue to buy the system each year. We know for certian that Sony will flood the market with their traditional and new franchises. As of right now we can not be a certian about Nitendo or MS for that matter ( as MS does not have as many traditional hits to lean on). Things can change over time as we have seen with Sony in just the past year. This was my point.

trestres said:
@cooking~: Then there are a lot of stupid people around the world who keep purchasing the same games all over again? Strange that most of the Sony games you named arent even popular, while most of the Nintendo games are.
If we get sequels means the games are good, face it Nintendo makes quality games, and mind you they are never the same.
You fail.

Alot of nintendo fanboys buy the same games over and over again and nintendo games appeal to little kids and new kids are constantly getting into gaming so they don't know or don't care that the first zelda or mario they are playing is infact the 8th 9th or 10th one in the series, however to some gamers that have been their since the begining or for the past couple of generations they are starting to get bored with the same old games. Sony has more popular franchises than nintendo so i don't know what your point is their and just because a sequel is released doesn't make the game a quality one it just means it can make money. Also nice to see your maturity with the you fail comment.

@Cooking~: Maturity has nothing to do with this. You fail, and thats about it.
Also when your saying that Sony has got more famous franchises, what do you base your belief on? Name a franchise thats as popular as Zelda or Mario.

You show everyone how blind you are by saying only little kids buy Nintendo games. Every Nintendo fan knows that every sequel that gets released is completely another game, only misinformed, angry, insecure and blind fanboys will say the opposite. Even if the game is on its 6th or 7th sequel, they are HIGH quality games.
Do people care if the Star Wars movie coming is the 7th in the series? Fucking NO, they know that they are quality movies and thats all it counts. And Nintendo innovates with new IPs every generation, in fact this Gen is on pace of getting more new IP's (DS + Wii) than the previous with GC + GBA.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I think what he meant by "More Famous" is that Sony has more titles that are popular (as in numbers) not that their titles are more famous.