By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - US Market...thats that then...

Published because that's what constitutes 1st and 2nd party games.

@Cooking.
I didn't include any 3rd party titles. You might want to keep reading.

Let's not forget Nintendo has had 2 more generations of home consoles and 2 more generations of handheld consoles for you pick numbers from. Are you trying to tell me that Sony hasn't carried over their published IP's to the PSP or PS3? Do you not believe they'll carry them over to the PS4 or PSP 2?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

@Cooking.

Let's not forget Nintendo has had 2 more generations of home consoles and 2 more generations of handheld consoles for you pick numbers from. Are you trying to tell me that Sony hasn't carried over their published IP's to the PSP or PS3? Do you not believe they'll carry them over to the PS4 or PSP 2?

Looking back at what you posted you originally posted gta but you then corrected yourself and changed it to gran turismo. In the numbers i posted i have included zero handheld games in that list and if i did then it would look even worse for nintendo. For starters sony has a much wider and diverse range of games than nintendo but despite having more different games to their name they don't carry as many over from one generation to the next, and why is that.....because sony release new aaa and aa franchises all the time and that far out strips how many aaa and aa new ip's nintendo releases.

cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

@Cooking.

Looking back at what you posted you originally posted gta but you then corrected yourself and changed it to gran turismo. In the numbers i posted i have included zero handheld games in that list and if i did then it would look even worse for nintendo. For starters sony has a much wider and diverse range of games than nintendo but despite having more different games to their name they don't carry as many over from one generation to the next, and why is that.....because sony release new aaa and aa franchises all the time and that far out strips how many aaa and aa new ip's nintendo releases.

It was never meant to be GTA but rather GT as you can see by the number of titles next to it.

However, I like how you dodged my question by insisting Sony has a broader range of titles.  I don't think anyone here claimed they didn't actually but my point is Sony most certainly carries a lot of their IPs over to the newer generation of consoles.  And to suggest Nintendo carries over all of theirs means you don't read the "fans demand Nintendo bring back X series" threads.

The following is a sampling of well known published IPs with at least 2 releases across consoles. 

***Sony***

Ape Escape:
PS - 1
PS2 - 4

Arc The Lad:
PS - 4
PS2 - 1

Cool Boarders
PS - 5
PS2 - 1

Crash Bandicoot:
PS - 4
(no longer 1st party)

GT:
PS - 2
PS2 - 4
PS3 - 2

Hotshots Golf:
PS - 2
PS2 -  2
PS3 - 1

Jet Moto:
PS - 3
PS2 - 1

Jumping Flash:
PS - 3

King of Fighters:
PS - 3
(no longer first party)

MediEvil:
PS - 2

Motor Toon Grand Prix"
PS - 2

Parappa the Rapper:
PS - 1
PS2 - 1

PoPoLoCrois:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2

Spyro:
PS - 3
(no longer 1st party)

Syphon filter:
PS - 3
PS2 - 2

Twisted metal:
PS - 3
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 1

Wild ARMs:
PS - 2
PS2 - 3

***Nintendo***

1080 Snowboarding:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Batallion Wars:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Donkey Kong:
NES - 3
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
GC - 4 (unrelated to standard IP)
Wii - 1

Excitebike:
NES - 1
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 1

Fire Emblem
NES - 2
SNES - 3
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

F-Zero:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Kirby:
NES - 0
SNES - 4
N64 - 2
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Legend of Zelda:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 2
GC - 3
Wii - 2 (sorta)

Mario Golf:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Mario Party:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 3
GC - 4
Wii - 1

Mario RPG: (Paper Mario)
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Metroid:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 1

Mother:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Pikmin:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Pilotwings:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Punch Out:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

StarFox:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Star Tropics:
NES - 2
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Super Mario Bros: (main game only)
NES - 4
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Mario Kart:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Smash Brothers:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Wave Race:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

AS far as this "Nintendo reuses IPs too much" talk goes. I'll accept Sony or any other developer as a comparison when they've been on the market as long and as continually successful as Nintendo has.

Simply put, if Sony COULD reuse their IPs as much as Nintendo has, they WOULD, and there isn't a single developer that doesn't apply to. The only difference is that Nintendo CAN and so they DO.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

You do realize that Nintendo has been developing games a lot longer than Sony.

Plus who cares about this sh*t anyways except fanboys? Both companies are using existing franchises and creating new ones.  

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

@Cooking.

It was never meant to be GTA but rather GT as you can see by the number of titles next to it.

However, I like how you dodged my question by insisting Sony has a broader range of titles. I don't think anyone here claimed they didn't actually but my point is Sony most certainly carries a lot of their IPs over to the newer generation of consoles. And to suggest Nintendo carries over all of theirs means you don't read the "fans demand Nintendo bring back X series" threads.

The following is a sampling of well known published IPs with at least 2 releases across consoles.

***Sony***

Ape Escape:
PS - 1
PS2 - 4

Arc The Lad:
PS - 4
PS2 - 1

Cool Boarders
PS - 5
PS2 - 1

Crash Bandicoot:
PS - 4
(no longer 1st party)

GT:
PS - 2
PS2 - 4
PS3 - 2

Hotshots Golf:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2
PS3 - 1

Jet Moto:
PS - 3
PS2 - 1

Jumping Flash:
PS - 3

King of Fighters:
PS - 3
(no longer first party)

MediEvil:
PS - 2

Motor Toon Grand Prix"
PS - 2

Parappa the Rapper:
PS - 1
PS2 - 1

PoPoLoCrois:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2

Spyro:
PS - 3
(no longer 1st party)

Syphon filter:
PS - 3
PS2 - 2

Twisted metal:
PS - 3
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 1

Wild ARMs:
PS - 2
PS2 - 3

***Nintendo***

1080 Snowboarding:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Batallion Wars:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Donkey Kong:
NES - 3
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
Wii - 1

Excitebike:
NES - 1
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 1

Fire Emblem
NES - 2
SNES - 3
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

F-Zero:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Kirby:
NES - 0
SNES - 4
N64 - 2
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Legend of Zelda:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 2
GC - 3
Wii - 2 (sorta)

Mario Golf:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Mario Party:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 3
GC - 4
Wii - 1

NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Metroid:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 1

Mother:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Pikmin:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Pilotwings:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Punch Out:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

StarFox:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Star Tropics:
NES - 2
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

NES - 4
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Mario Kart:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Smash Brothers:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Wave Race:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Apart from your list missing out a large number of other nintendo ip's that have had many sequels released, the whole point of the discussion is this:

Nintendo doesn't have a broad a library of original ip's as sony does, with it's smaller library of ip's it continues to release them over and over again, generation after generation whilst sony only do that to a lesser extent but at the same time as doing that sony also release significantly more new ip's.

stephen700 said:
shams said:
The PS3 is still (almost) 7m units behind the 360 in the US - even at 30k per week, it would take around 4 years to overtake the 360.

MS have a lot more ammo than Sony for the rest of the year - there WILL be a newer, better model of the 360 - and there WILL be a price cut. Sales should explode around Xmas.

And lets not forget the small thing that is exclusive GTA content...

I'll be surprised if the 360 doesn't extend its lead (in the US) over the 360 by at LEAST 1m units by the end of the year.

For PS3 +30K pw advantage it will take ~4 years to ps3>x360. BUT Last year it was selling under the 360 - next year it may be selling 60K pw higher. Ps3 is the highest priced console so price cuts will have greatest impact.  Wii, x360 and Ps3 all will reduce price.

No. Even though the 40Gb PS3 costs $399, you should realize that the X360 at $349 is comparatively over-priced*, and thus future price cuts on the X360 will have greater impact.

* You do value the built in Blu-ray player higher than $50, don't you?

cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

@Cooking.

However, I like how you dodged my question by insisting Sony has a broader range of titles. I don't think anyone here claimed they didn't actually but my point is Sony most certainly carries a lot of their IPs over to the newer generation of consoles. And to suggest Nintendo carries over all of theirs means you don't read the "fans demand Nintendo bring back X series" threads.

***Sony***

Ape Escape:
PS - 1
PS2 - 4

Arc The Lad:
PS - 4
PS2 - 1

Cool Boarders
PS - 5
PS2 - 1

Crash Bandicoot:
PS - 4
(no longer 1st party)

GT:
PS - 2
PS2 - 4
PS3 - 2

Hotshots Golf:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2
PS3 - 1

Jet Moto:
PS - 3
PS2 - 1

Jumping Flash:
PS - 3

King of Fighters:
PS - 3
(no longer first party)

MediEvil:
PS - 2

Motor Toon Grand Prix"
PS - 2

Parappa the Rapper:
PS - 1
PS2 - 1

PoPoLoCrois:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2

Spyro:
PS - 3
(no longer 1st party)

Syphon filter:
PS - 3
PS2 - 2

Twisted metal:
PS - 3
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 1

Wild ARMs:
PS - 2
PS2 - 3

***Nintendo***

1080 Snowboarding:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Batallion Wars:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Donkey Kong:
NES - 3
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
Wii - 1

Excitebike:
NES - 1
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 1

Fire Emblem
NES - 2
SNES - 3
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

F-Zero:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Kirby:
NES - 0
SNES - 4
N64 - 2
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Legend of Zelda:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 2
GC - 3
Wii - 2 (sorta)

Mario Golf:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Mario Party:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 3
GC - 4
Wii - 1

NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Metroid:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 1

Mother:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Pikmin:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Pilotwings:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Punch Out:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

StarFox:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Star Tropics:
NES - 2
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

NES - 4
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Mario Kart:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Smash Brothers:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Wave Race:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Apart from your list missing out a large number of other nintendo ip's that have had many sequels released, the whole point of the discussion is this:

Nintendo doesn't have a broad a library of original ip's as sony does, with it's smaller library of ip's it continues to release them over and over again, generation after generation whilst sony only do that to a lesser extent but at the same time as doing that sony also release significantly more new ip's.

I bolded a statemnt of yours.  Now go back and look at the bolded statemnt of mine.  I already acknowledged it was an incomplete listing.  Does it make you feel better to point it out again as if you found some mistake?  Well go ahead then....make a listing of all the significant franchises I failed post.

On top of that, you go on to suggest Sony doesn't do the same yet this list I just gave sugest they do it just as much.

Sony: Number of IP's with 5 titles - 8 of 17

Sony: Average per Franchise - 3.94 across 2 generations

Sony: Average per console - (2.5 - PS)( 2.9 - PS2)

Nintendo: Number of IPs with 5 titles -  7 of 22

Nintendo: Average per Franchise - 4.5 across 4 generations

Nintendo: Average per console - ( 0.8 - NES) (1.0 - SNES) (0.8 - N64) (1.3 - GC)

@Cooking: Nintendo doesnt milk every franchise like you say, the only one I agree with is Mario, thats the only, the rest are far from being milked and are much better than the ones Sony will ever get.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:
cookingyourmama said:
Viper1 said:

@Cooking.

***Sony***

Ape Escape:
PS - 1
PS2 - 4

Arc The Lad:
PS - 4
PS2 - 1

Cool Boarders
PS - 5
PS2 - 1

Crash Bandicoot:
PS - 4
(no longer 1st party)

GT:
PS - 2
PS2 - 4
PS3 - 2

Hotshots Golf:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2
PS3 - 1

Jet Moto:
PS - 3
PS2 - 1

Jumping Flash:
PS - 3

King of Fighters:
PS - 3
(no longer first party)

MediEvil:
PS - 2

Motor Toon Grand Prix"
PS - 2

Parappa the Rapper:
PS - 1
PS2 - 1

PoPoLoCrois:
PS - 2
PS2 - 2

Spyro:
PS - 3
(no longer 1st party)

Syphon filter:
PS - 3
PS2 - 2

Twisted metal:
PS - 3
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 1

Wild ARMs:
PS - 2
PS2 - 3

***Nintendo***

1080 Snowboarding:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Batallion Wars:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Donkey Kong:
NES - 3
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
Wii - 1

Excitebike:
NES - 1
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 1

Fire Emblem
NES - 2
SNES - 3
N64 - 0
GC - 1
Wii - 1

F-Zero:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Kirby:
NES - 0
SNES - 4
N64 - 2
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Legend of Zelda:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 2
GC - 3
Wii - 2 (sorta)

Mario Golf:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

Mario Party:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 3
GC - 4
Wii - 1

NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Metroid:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 1

Mother:
NES - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Pikmin:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Pilotwings:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 0
Wii - 0

Punch Out:
NES - 2
SNES - 1
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

StarFox:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 2
Wii - 0

Star Tropics:
NES - 2
SNES - 0
N64 - 0
GC - 0
Wii - 0

NES - 4
SNES - 3
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Mario Kart:
NES - 0
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Super Smash Brothers:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 1

Wave Race:
NES - 0
SNES - 0
N64 - 1
GC - 1
Wii - 0

I bolded a statemnt of yours. Now go back and look at the bolded statemnt of mine. I already acknowledged it was an incomplete listing. Does it make you feel better to point it out again as if you found some mistake? Well go ahead then....make a listing of all the significant franchises I failed post.

On top of that, you go on to suggest Sony doesn't do the same yet this list I just gave sugest they do it just as much.

Sony: Number of IP's with 5 titles - 8 of 17

Sony: Average per Franchise - 3.94 across 2 generations

Sony: Average per console - (2.5 - PS)( 2.9 - PS2)

Nintendo: Number of IPs with 5 titles - 7 of 22

Nintendo: Average per Franchise - 4.5 across 4 generations

Nintendo: Average per console - ( 0.8 - NES) (1.0 - SNES) (0.8 - N64) (1.3 - GC)

O wow i don't know where to even begin, their's so much cherry picking of data and the data is not even right to being with.

With the data you have you are wrong about the following games:

Starfox has 5 games not 4.

Jet moto has 3 games not 4.

Jumping flash has 2 games not 3.

Twisted Metal has 6 games no 7.

Sony made games that you missed off your list:

The getaway - 2 games
warhawk - 2 games
Fantavision - 1 game
ICO - 1 game
Jak and Daxter - 3 games
Frequency - 2 games
dark cloud - 2 games
Kinetica - 1 game
Extermination - 1 game
Okage: Shadow King - 1 game
Tsugunai: Atonement - 1 game
Ratchet & Clank - 5 games
sly cooper - 3 games
socom - 4 games
The Mark of Kri - 1 game
Drakan: The Ancients' Gates - 1 game
Jet X2O - 1 game
Treasure Planet - 1 game
War of the monsters - 1 game
Downhill domination - 1 game
EverQuest Online Adventures - 1 game
Primal - 1 game
Killzone - 1 game
siren - 2 games
God of war - 2 games
Shadow of the colossus - 1 game
Genji - 2 games
Rise of the Kasai - 1 game
Neopets: The Darkest Faerie - 1 game
Tourist Trophy - 1 game
Rogue Galaxy - 1 game
Hot Shots Tennis - 1 game
Tomba - 2 games
Einhander - 1 game
G police - 1 game
Uncharted - 1 game
Resistance - 1 game
Motorstorm - 1 game
Heavenly Sword - 1 game
Folklore - 1 game
The eye of judgement - 1 game

Nintendo made games that you missed off your list:

Wario - 6 titles
Tetris - 6 games
Pokemon - 9 games
Mario spin offs - 20 titles
Mario strikers - 2 titles
Mario tennis - 2 titles
Yoshi - 3 games
animal crossing - 1 game
luigi's mansion - 1 game
Mario Baseball - 1 game
Wiisports - 1 game
wiiplay - 1 game
wiifit - 1 game
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - 1 game
Duck hunt - 1 game
Kid Icarus - 1 game
Ice Climber - 1 game

So the real numbers are:

Sony have released 58 ip's, of those 9 have had 5 or more sequels released. On average sony release 1.2 sequels per game.

Nintendo have released 39 ip's, of those 12 have had 5 or more sequels released. On average nintendo release 3.1 sequels per game.

And this whole nintendo have been around for longer rubbish is worthless, you don't have to make the same games over and over again, at any point you can create new games and stop rehashing the same old thing again. 

Now lets have a look at how many of those 5 or more sequel ip's sony and nintendo continue to whore out:

Of the 9 sony ip's that have 5 sequels or more sony have stopped making sequels to 5 of them.

Of the 12 nintendo ip's that have 5 sequels or more nintendo have stopped making sequels to 0 of them. 

So far this generation sony have created 6 new ip's, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, The eye of judgement. Where as nintendo have only created 3 new ip's, wii sports, wii play and wii fit.

So far this generation sony have released 3 sequels to old ip's where as nintendo have released 12.....says it all really.

The bottom line is despite sony having more ip's that span a broader range of games they release sequels to less of them then what nintendo do with their games. Sony don't always continue to whore out their games that have 5 or more sequels, they've stopped making half of them and have moved on to making new games, where as nintendo continue to whore out all their games that have 5 or more sequels. Sony make more new ip's then nintendo do and sony don't constantly take the characters from their games and lump them into other games for marketing reasons. I'm sorry but the fact is nintendo are worse for releasing the same old games over and over again whilst also not making enough new ip's.