By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 90% Drop Off on GTAIV Sales This Week in EU

Still I do consider that 75% was way to much . I was expecting the PS3 version to stay wel above 500k during its second week in Others :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

In UK at least a lot of retailers seem to be out of stock - so I'm not sure we're seeing thr true drop-off there, more supply constrained sales.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I expected it to drop sharply, my estimates were at 60-65% not 75%. If it dropped off that sharply it might not be a good sign for Rockstar especially with good games being released in the coming weeks/months like Haze, Singstar, Wii Fit, Ninja Gaiden 2, MGS 4.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

QUICK! Some one call NYT's "Unsubstantiated News Department" and let them know GTAIV is Teh Fail

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Seems about right to me with such huge launch numbers. With the different demographics of PS3/360 to PS2 I always expected GTA IV to be far more front loaded and far shorter legs than it's PS2 counterparts.

Around the Network

Was anyone at all surprised by this? I hope not, it was entirely predictable.
@Soriku: Both versions are still outselling Wii Fit on a considerably smaller userbase and with a hugely frontloaded launch. Not too shabby if you ask me.

FishyJoe said:
Big dropoff means big failure just like SSBB.

Waiting for an article.

I think it is partially supply constraints yes, but largely it is a matter of everyone that wanted the game was lined up at the door on day one. A pattern I believe we will see over and over is that "hardcore" games on the PS3 and the XB360 will always be front loaded because that is a group that is keenly aware of when the game will be released and will buy it immediately.

Wii owners as a group will be less likely to be aware of release dates and will not feel a need to purchase a game immediately - unless, of course, there's a game savvy kid in the house who will raise bloody hell until they get iit. Wii games will tend to have somewhat more modest sales on opening day but longer legs.

So EU is the world now?

It's a big drop, but still very good numbers. Plus the PS3 and 360 have a significantly more hardcore audience than the PS2 had, so I expect it to be much more frontloaded than previous GTA's. It will sell great nevertheless though.