By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears Of War 2...GAMEPLAY Reveal -- Thread --1 HOUR to GO!!

Geez, could people stop comparing this game to others which aren't even out?

Just enjoy the footage and create a dick-measuring thread if you want to do comparisons!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@NJ5

yeah we had like too much of that last week with the GTA IV comparisons..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

One thing that I didn't get: in the part where all the enemies are running on the ground, the aiming reticle never turns red even when it's aiming at them. I hope this doesn't mean that those enemies are just scenery.

EDIT - or is it because they're too far?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

One thing that I didn't get: in the part where all the enemies are running on the ground, the aiming reticle never turns red even when it's aiming at them. I hope this doesn't mean that those enemies are just scenery.

EDIT - or is it because they're too far?

I guess they are more like background drops, I remember in the UE3.5 demo that Epic said they could have hundreds of high detailed models on one screen but they're using different scripts than the normal locust with much better A.I that you can interact with. Still, we might be able to kill them or shoot at them by the time the retail version hits.

For a brief moment while watching the trailer, it suddenly struck me that the enemies, characters and transport ships all looked like little plastic models, fighting on a table-top sized world.

The sense of scale went from huge to tiny in an instant.

The same thing sometimes happens in movies. A director chooses to use a minature to represent a large set, but it doesn't quite work, and the audience realise they're not looking at a real scene.

It was quite odd...

I can only say the illusion must have been caused by the very strong shine to the graphics.

Around the Network

@Dallinor

its on a "Rail" isn't it

so the world actually ISN'T that big...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Dallinor said:
For a brief moment while watching the trailer, it suddenly struck me that the enemies, characters and transport ships all looked like little plastic models, fighting on a table-top sized world.

The sense of scale went from huge to tiny in an instant.

The same thing sometimes happens in movies. A director chooses to use a minature to represent a large set, but it doesn't quite work, and the audience realise they're not looking at a real scene.

It was quite odd...

I can only say the illusion must have been caused by the very strong shine to the graphics.

That's the unreal engine 3 for ya. I believe the textures are the main focus of the engine but in many games the models look really shinny and has a plastic look. It's not very good for photo realistic things, but perfect for cartoony art styles like GeOW and Bioshock.

marcusz said:
Amazing just amazing, the 360 has incredible power especially as it's only in it's second generation and competing against a machine in it's Third.

When they release Gears of War 2 on the PS3,add dual shock immersion(which MS own a 20% share of so they will be happy when Sony add it to their pads) allow you to play your own music whilst in a game(MS own that copyright to) and drop the price by £100 I might get One.. As in NEVER...

The first part of your post makes no sense at all. Last console generation we had MS as a newcomer and they boasted the most powerful console system.

Also, MS does not own 20% of Immersion...

darthdevidem01 said:
@Dallinor

its on a "Rail" isn't it

so the world actually ISN'T that big...

I understand that the world might not actually be very big. Developers use tricks to create the illusion that the world's of their games are bigger etc.

In this case though, it wasn't just the world that seemed to shrink, but the characters and models along with it.

I'm talking about Marcus Fenix shrinking from your average sized steroid pumped male, into a plastic lego man.

Watch the trailer again and you might see what I'm talking about.

Or maybe...I'm just crazy....

The trailer looks great. I'm eager to play it, despite the testerone-filled nature of Gears of War. The first game was my favorite console shooter of this generation, even over CoD4.

As for those of you who bring up Killzone, who cares? Killzone is from a developer known for producing questionable titles, they've shown "footage" of the game since 2005 and have yet to put a release date on the game, and I question what the game will really look and play like when it releases. In Gears, we have a title with real gameplay footage and a November release date. Just enjoy the trailer and leave the fanboy bullshit out of this thread.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/