By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS:we have "5 million" lead over PS3 globally

@Gnizmo

VGChartz has 360 at 5.5 million after 52 weeks ...

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=X360&reg1=All&cons2=X360&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=52

Xbox 360 had an awful first year but most people ignored it due to it being the only current-gen console out. 360 then increased it's sales during its 2nd year, and has again for its 3rd year ...

Around the Network
Stockstar1138 said:
5 million is a nice round number to use. there data probably has them at less than 6 million ahead of PS3, so vgcharts is only a couple hundred thousand off at the most. they aren't going to say 5.82342 million.

lol,,so you think they decrase the number?you don't know PRs

they could round it to 5.5 if it was 5.8 ,,,,,So what you are saying is wrong,,casue they want to amke them selves look better not worse

"The reality is that Xbox 360 is leading this generation with a larger installed base, more than 2xs the games library, the most exclusives along with the leading online service and community. While we have not yet announced all of our plans for the full year, I am confident that we will extend our lead over the PS3 in 2008. Today Xbox 360 has a 5-million-unit console sales lead on a global basis based on most recently public reported data from both companies. This includes more than double the installed base in the US according to actual NPD sell-through and over a 1-million-unit lead across Europe also based on reported sell-through from Chart Track and GfK."

lol. he's funny

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
-SpartanFX said:
Stockstar1138 said:
5 million is a nice round number to use. there data probably has them at less than 6 million ahead of PS3, so vgcharts is only a couple hundred thousand off at the most. they aren't going to say 5.82342 million.

lol,,so you think they decrase the number?you don't know PRs

they could round it to 5.5 if it was 5.8 ,,,,,So what you are saying is wrong,,casue they want to amke them selves look better not worse

very true, just had a brainfart.

5 million is probably the sure figure from NPD, GFK, Chart Track, etc. Small markets like India and Korea and Hongkong probably push it further in Microsoft's favor, although Sony's latest shipment numbers will clear some things up as well.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

^^5.8 is closer to 6 than it is to 5.5

TheSource said:

5 million is probably the sure figure from NPD, GFK, Chart Track, etc. Small markets like India and Korea and Hongkong probably push it further in Microsoft's favor, although Sony's latest shipment numbers will clear some things up as well.

just wondering,,why did he use the word globally then?

and you are right sony shipments will clear some thing up,,,

but our 360 shipment Vs sold to customer was way off

MS shipped 1,300,000 units(according to MS shipment figures)

VGC has it at 1,800,000 sold to customers for the same period.

SpartanFX said:

thanks for your precious input to the thread

I didn't make up this post,,,it is what MS announced today,,,I know you might preffer the current data with error in them,,,but i am trying to help the site become more accurate

I actually did feel a little bad for posting it. It is something I have wanted to say a thousand times when I see a thread started by random console fanboys. I was going to stop myself before I saw Rock_On's retarded comment. In an attempt to redeem myself I will post my actual thoughts, so here goes.

The numbers aren't based on global sell-through. They site no sources for a lot of territories. Japan, and anything outside of Europe save North America is not based on sell-through reported by established firms. Essentially this data has to be taken with a huge grain of salt because it is an incomplete view of everything that is going on. Based on shipment figures, and data which can be referenced against the sources they site for their statement. I am going to err on the side of trusting ioi because he will always come through in the end. It is entirely possible he is off, but by such a large amount seems extremely unlikely.

Your comment about shipment per quarter is entirely off base too. You can't base the on-going sales of a product by its latest quarter. If they shipped 1.5 million one quarter, and .5 million the next and sold 1.5 million in the second quarter there is nothing fishy. It just means there was potential channel stuffing. Those number could very well be off, but you do not provide anywhere near enough evidence for it. You simply saw a random fact to support your arguement and latched onto it without any thought for what it really meant.

There, I feel redeemed.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Stockstar1138 said:

hahaha, or, it could be just over 4 million, and they rounded up ;). I like that 5 million means almost 6 to you.

I agree with the OP. Either the PS3 is under-tracked, or the 36 is over-tracked.

Aprisaiden said:
@Gnizmo

VGChartz has 360 at 5.5 million after 52 weeks ...

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=X360®1=All&cons2=X360®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&weeks=52

Xbox 360 had an awful first year but most people ignored it due to it being the only current-gen console out. 360 then increased it's sales during its 2nd year, and has again for its 3rd year ...

Hrmm well that does make me look a little silly. I have the strangest recollections of it being closer to 10 by the time the PS3 and Wii released, but that is clearly off. Still, I stand by my comment since he resorted to very bad number rounding. I would back down entirely but the math geek in me is offended by his abuse of rounding.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229