By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS:we have "5 million" lead over PS3 globally

Hello all!
Since I'm kinda new here I have two, probably offtopic and stupid, questions I'd like to ask. Feel free to ignore me if I'm asking in the wrong place, but this discussion made me curious.

First, What is This NPD thingy everyone keeps talking about?
Second, If VGChartz possibly could be wrong with as much as 10% on LTD sales on a console, why bother reporting sales without rounding off?

... And I really have to set my avatar up one of these days.

Otherwise, nice site. I'd love to put in a little sarcastic bit here about how you mess up my life with all this sales tracking, but my english skills aren't really good enough.

Will try my best to keep on topic from now on.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

^You would round 6.2 million to 6 million.

According to crazzy man numbers half a million of 360s and wiis in mexico and no PS3? The difference between NPD (USA+canada) and vgchartz is in mexico?

SpartanFX said:

this comes from MS(Aaron greenberg) and it's upto today(the news is for today)

MS says the data is sell-through(to customers) and it comes from :NPD,chart track ,gfk,....

so why do we have 6.4 million here?remmember MS is saying 5 million more sold to the customers(casue GFK,NPD,... all record sold to customers)

http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-destructoid-interview-microsoft-s-aaron-greenberg-on-gta-iv-85192.phtml#comments

"Today Xbox 360 has a 5-million-unit console sales lead on a global basis based on most recently public reported data from both companies. This includes more than double the installed base in the US according to actual NPD sell-through and over a 1-million-unit lead across Europe also based on reported sell-through from Chart Track and GfK."

They know how many Xboxes they shipped, for sure, but they are semi-guessing at the PS3 numbers and probably decided to use the nearest "round" numbers. Just wait for Sony to release their to see what the difference is.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

lol