By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony/GG outsource to third party for advanced AI development for KZ2...

starcraft said:
That game is looking AWESOME.

You forgot to quote the parts referring to the cover/aiming system saying that it worked better than...oh hell, we know what they meant: it played better than Gears' and CoD4's gameplay.  Gears 2 will hopefully improve though, with destructible cover and such like KZ2.  Gears 2 may even come out looking comparable to KZ2 in some areas, but not physics/lighting/smoke.

Course, KZ2 is the PS3 first for its engine, while Gears is Epic's 2nd go-around. 

Around the Network
BCNR34 said:
starcraft said:
That game is looking AWESOME.

This game's gameplay however, is not........
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/872/872009p2.html

"Elsewhere, however, it looks like Killzone 2 may be dangerously close to embarking upon the same road as its predecessor in offering ambiance to the detriment of its other aspects."

"Traipsing through the level at hand, we come across an alarming number of crates, which although are all the better for showing off the cover system, belie some uninspired level design."

"Whilst it adds a tactile element of immersion to the world, most players were left looking confused until a representative kindly pointed out the correct course of action."

"Similarly, some of the game's appropriations were sadly wide of the mark – when one of the grunts exclaims he feels 'like a spare prick at a gang bang' we couldn't help but squirm at the forced machismo of it all."

"However, while what we've seen is certainly impressive in parts, we need to see a bit more over the coming months to discover if Killzone 2 can truly deliver in offering the definitive PlayStation 3 experience."

STARCRAFT'S THOUGHTS:

Perhaps they should have outsourced the gameplay to Bungie

looking to get banned again i see?

some people just can't wait....

starcraft said:
That game is looking AWESOME.his game's gameplay however, is not........
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/872/872009p2.html

"Elsewhere, however, it looks like Killzone 2 may be dangerously close to embarking upon the same road as its predecessor in offering ambiance to the detriment of its other aspects."

"Traipsing through the level at hand, we come across an alarming number of crates, which although are all the better for showing off the cover system, belie some uninspired level design."

"Whilst it adds a tactile element of immersion to the world, most players were left looking confused until a representative kindly pointed out the correct course of action."

"Similarly, some of the game's appropriations were sadly wide of the mark – when one of the grunts exclaims he feels 'like a spare prick at a gang bang' we couldn't help but squirm at the forced machismo of it all."

"However, while what we've seen is certainly impressive in parts, we need to see a bit more over the coming months to discover if Killzone 2 can truly deliver in offering the definitive PlayStation 3 experience."

STARCRAFT'S THOUGHTS:

Perhaps they should have outsourced the gameplay to Bungie

I love how you ignored the entire first page:

going hands-on with Killzone 2 offers up an experience that isn't too far removed from our heady imaginings when the pre-rendered video was released before the dawn of the current generation.

Having sat through the show, the game introduces the sneak and peek mechanic that forms the core of the experience with no hesitation, placing the player amidst a heated firefight with ample opportunities for cover – and it works remarkably well, offering a more than welcome new facet to the FPS genre.

Keeping in first-person all the way, the L1 button latches the player to cover, and whilst in hiding players have free movement left and right, with a either a tug on the trigger or upwards on the analogue stick resulting in that all-important 'peek'. Amazingly for a game that is now some nine months off release, it never really falters in granting some tactical defence, and largely avoids some of the snagging and poor detection that can blight other similar systems, lending the firefights a dynamism only seen in the finest shooters.

And the last bit from the second page...

and that's not to say that it won't be anything other than a top grade shooter come its release. However, while what we've seen is certainly impressive in parts, we need to see a bit more over the coming months to discover if Killzone 2 can truly deliver in offering the definitive PlayStation 3 experience.

...essentially says, "It's great, it's just not 10x better than everything else." :P

Also, that's just one person's opinion. GameSpot seems to paint a quite favorable picture of the game:

Like many other games, Killzone 2 lets you revive a fallen teammate if you're sufficiently close, and during the advance on a well-fortified hill position, we were forced out of our cover to get comrades back in the action. The demo also showed off the game's buddy system, which, as in Army of Two, helps you access out-of-reach places. Your comrades can help you onto a ledge, from which point you can then help them up too. If you jump down again, the roles are reversed, with the AI dropping a hand to pull you back up and out of harm's way, if needed.

We've seen the game running on previous occasions, and it has advanced by leaps and bounds in terms of delivering on the now-legendary video shown back at E3 2005. Particle effects are looking impressive, with smoke thick and plumed. While blowing up a barrel may give you a tactical advantage by taking out a bunch of guys standing near it, it won't be long before you realise doing so will severely affect your ability to see through the smoke it will create. Enemy and team character models are looking solid. We did notice a slight pixelation of Helghast soldiers at range when cycling the scope, but we're putting that down to the pre-alpha nature of the code on show.

The game still has plenty of development time, and each milestone is bringing it closer to what was originally shown all those years ago. Most importantly, the team appears to be doing a brilliant job of re-creating the scope and impact felt in war movies.

Sounds great to me.

And shouldn't you have a PS3 by the games release? One would think you'd want the game to turn out well.

I don't know why being like other games (such as COD4) should be considered a bad thing. I mean, was Halo really 'new'? Maybe for the consoles, but I didn't think it was the most amazing thing ever. Heck, Call of Duty 4 was, in my eyes, Call of Duty 2 with some graphics and non-WWII storyline. There are some weird criticisms going around out there, lol. I really liked Call of Duty 4 and if Killzone 2 is going to have aspects that are inspired by it , then that would make me excited for it rather than shunning it.

There's my two cents.

Actually most of what you quoted (makingmusic) referred to the games graphical interface, which I said in my post DOES look very impressive.

As for gamespot? There was scarcely a mention of gameplay in that preview. All the preview seemed to say was that GG was doing well at creating ambiance (but as IGN pointed out, that may be to the detriment of gameplay). As for barrels blowing up and killing enemies whilst distorting your view? Can anyone say Goldeneye 64?

And me owning a PS3? It will depend what the Xbox 360/Wii line-ups early next year look like. At one time, it seemed like Versus would release early next year, but now I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until 2010 to make it to Australia

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
STARCRAFT'S THOUGHTS:
Perhaps they should have outsourced the gameplay to Infinity Ward

Fixed

bbsin said:
starcraft said:
STARCRAFT'S THOUGHTS:
Perhaps they should have outsourced the gameplay to Infinity Ward

Fixed

So we are all agreed?  Killzone 2 will blow and Infinity Ward is awesome?

starcraft said:
Actually most of what you quoted (makingmusic) referred to the games graphical interface, which I said in my post DOES look very impressive.

As for gamespot? There was scarcely a mention of gameplay in that preview. All the preview seemed to say was that GG was doing well at creating ambiance (but as IGN pointed out, that may be to the detriment of gameplay). As for barrels blowing up and killing enemies whilst distorting your view? Can anyone say Goldeneye 64?

And me owning a PS3? It will depend what the Xbox 360/Wii line-ups early next year look like. At one time, it seemed like Versus would release early next year, but now I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until 2010 to make it to Australia

Did you completely ignore the two paragraphs regarding the cover system?

And everything that I quoted involved the gameplay in some way.  IGN said it comes close to matching the experience of the E305 video, not just the graphical fidelity.  There was far more to that video than graphics.  The hardest thing to emulate from that video was the sheer amount of action going on at once, the interactions with your comrades around you, etc., all of which have a major impact on gameplay. 

The GameSpot article also focused heavily on the interactions between the player and his teammates around him. 

I really don't understand why you feel compelled to ignore anything positive about this game.  

Well, at least you'll admit it looks great.  

makingmusic476 said:

Did you completely ignore the two paragraphs regarding the cover system?

And everything that I quoted involved the gameplay in some way. IGN said it comes close to matching the experience of the E305 video, not just the graphical fidelity. There was far more to that video than graphics. The hardest thing to emulate from that video was the sheer amount of action going on at once, the interactions with your comrades around you, etc., all of which have a major impact on gameplay.

The GameSpot article also focused heavily on the interactions between the player and his teammates around him.

I really don't understand why you feel compelled to ignore anything positive about this game.

Well, at least you'll admit it looks great.

I see what your saying now.  All that was said about the cover system is that it seems to emulate Gears of War/Cod4.

As to the word "experience?"  I would think, given it was a video and not a demo, that the "experience" they refer too IS the graphical fidelity.  Of course, without specifically asking the author what he meant, we'll just have to agree to sit on seperate sides of the fence on that one. 

def looking forward to this game. although i would have to say that i am anticipating the release of little big planet as well. has anyone here seen the video of LBP with the killzone baddie helmets?

Proud Owner of all 3 current-gen systems

Currently Playing:
SSBB, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, MKWii, GTA IV (360), MGS4, DQIV, Jeanne d'Arc, FFVII: Crisis Core, Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Mario Kart FC: 4897-6731-4375
SSBB FC: 1504-5406-8515
Wii Friends Code: 1020-2726-1535-3964

XBL:
PhatLaosBoi
PSN: PhatLaosBoi