By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony/GG outsource to third party for advanced AI development for KZ2...

As we all know, AI was one of the main problems with the original Killzone (or at least anybody who's played the game knows).  Tbh, the AI could be completely brain dead at times.

To quote IGN's review of the game:

The first major gameplay oriented problem with Killzone is that the AI is about as intelligent as an orange rolling down a hill. It stands around, stares at walls, twitches madly, remains completely oblivious to things like the death of its friends, and likes to line up in single file and march to its death. When you're Rico and you're plowing through the equivalent of bipedal pumpkins that can absorb many bullets, it's pretty fun. But when you're the stealth girl -- the one that plays off routines and patterns and logic -- it's garbage. Enemies react absurdly, rush when they should roll, and generally do stupid things that make playing sneakily totally pointless and downright aggravating.

All that's going to change with Killzone 2, however, as Guerilla Games has signed on Alex Champandard to assist with AI development. Champandard is best known for his enthusiast website AIGameDev.com, designed to help fellow game developers in creating complicated AI for their projects.  He should prove to be a great asset to the guys at GG.

Of course, this isn't the first time that GG has signed a contract with a third party company to assist in development. They are also working with Second Intention to help streamline the graphics engine, particularly assisting with the lighting engine, which is why Killzone 2 has the best lighting of any game yet (imo).  Well, except maybe Crysis (though Crysis soundly trumps the game in all other areas, except artstyle, imo).

Sony really is putting everything they have into this game.  They took GG's idea, and are helping them to truly make it the best it can be. 

Now, to all the haters who think Killzone 2 will suck because Killzone sucked (and it didn't really suck), and thus because the developers suck, what say you?

What say I?  This game will own. :P

Around the Network

Wow, there really throwing everything they got at this game.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

"What say I? This game will own. :P"

That is a great line. I am with you on that sentiment

It will!

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

look at the new gameplay trailer and show me any ANY game on any other console that looks as good as that!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@ultraslick: Hell yeah.

Oh, and it seems vehicles are definitely in...

Around the Network

The explosions look cool.
So many destructibles.
. . . . . . . . . . .
But why is everything gray?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

That's just the way things are on Helghan - cold, dark, and inhospitable. That's why the Helghast look like they do now. They were human once, ya know. :P

makingmusic476 said:
That's just the way things are on Helghan - cold, dark, and inhospitable. That's why the Helghast look like they do now. They were human once, ya know. :P

Well maybe Helghan became cold, dark and inhospitable because no one gave the Helghasts some fucking paint other than the crappy color gray.
A whole civilization can only stomach the color gray so much, maybe that's why they want to invade Earth... for paint..

How can the poor souls even live in that crappy place when they aren't at war?
I mean, not only can they not recognize each other because they're constantly wearing masks, but I bet they would even get lost on their way out of their gray house to pick up some gray milk in the gray grocery store.
And don't even get me started on how hard it is to find the one gray car in the gray parking lot. =/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Well maybe Helghan became cold, dark and inhospitable because no one gave the Helghasts some fucking paint other than the crappy color gray.
A whole civilization can only stomach the color gray so much, maybe that's why they want to invade Earth... for paint..

How can the poor souls even live in that crappy place when they aren't at war?
I mean, not only can they not recognize each other because they're constantly wearing masks, but I bet they would even get lost on their way out of their gray house to pick up some gray milk in the gray grocery store.
And don't even get me started on how hard it is to find the one gray car in the gray parking lot. =/

Here's some gold to go with that silver. :P

Check out the Helghast getting shot in this gif:

When he falls back, he breaks part of the wooden piling behind him.