By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit calls young girl overweight, girl is devastated - I blame Wii Fit!

i wonder if that guy that hates games will sue the wii and try and give wii fit a AO rateing lol! :D

mgs4 will sell 2.4m week 1

japan:500k

others: 1m

NA:900k

AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

nintendo:65

Xbox: 42

playstation: 98

Around the Network

On some charts on the internet I've looked on it says she is overweight, on others she is a healthy weight and one said obese which was strange.

I've heard it said before that the UK BMI calculator is useless and a healthy rating for the UK is seen as overweight in many countries.

I guess we are following the USA and as we get heavier we move the bar so on paper it doesn'tmake us look as fat as we really are.

P.S. is anyone else tempted to post  'do you have a  picture of your hippo like daughter?'  on that forum, or is it just me with the evil streak. :oP

OMG Wii Fit called her kid fat ! Apocalypse is near. Blame Wii Fit ! Wii Fit > Santa Satan !

BMI is a simple weight/height based calculation and is not particularly accurate at determining how underweight/overweight someone is; the benefit of BMI is that it is simple ...

I am in one of the problem groups when dealing with BMI because I work out; my body-fat percentage is at (roughly) 12% which is on the leaner side of average yet my BMI is nearly 28 which is at the higher end of overweight.

Personally, I haven't used Wii Fit but I think it should be focusing on getting people to increase their fitness and BMI should only be a minor metric that is used towards this goal.

BMI isn't always right, it doesn't know much muscle you have, and muscle weighs more than fat doesn't it?
But assuming this young girl isn't some weight lifter, maybe she is a tad over weight? I'm really skinny so I'm not expecting anything more than something underweight.

Around the Network

Maybe she was fat. I say she is until pics are provided. Also the ending should have been better like she commits suicide over it or something.

"Like you know"

PooperScooper said:
Thats what I was thinking stof. Biased parents man. Or maybe her parents are whales and the kid is healthy comparably to them

Or she's very active and has more muscle than most girls her age. Or she's short and stocky.

BMI is a quick-and-dirty measurement of healthy weight. Its main feature is convenience and simplicity, not accuracy. All of this is fine... until people start to take it too seriously. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

justforeggs said:
lol the girl is overwaight :)

faty paty :D

lol blame wii fit? omg i blmae her parrents for OVER FEeding her

here is my version of wii fit

get a snikers tape it too the wall do sit ups until you think you are geting cloasser

now gimmi my 1billion dollers for thinking that is a good idea :-/

Your posts are terrible?

Is your keyboard broken?

BMI probably won't be a great indicator for people with a lot of muscle mass or low body fat percentage...

But...

Aren't those people 1) those least likely to use/need Wii Fit and 2) those most likely to understand, without being told, how and why BMI isn't always a great indicator?

Anyways, I'd have more sympathy for the parents referenced here if the parents concentrated on how being "overweight" or not doesn't really reflect on her inner worth, rather than trying to convince her that she isn't overweight at all. In other words, if being labeled overweight by a video game *devastates* a person, there is certainly a problem, but I don't think it's necessarily the game.

My impression of the girl.