By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the PS3's price cut be? and when?

I would say if Sony trully beleives that in the 10 year life cycle they will obtain the lead again, I would not cut the price until my biggest guns are about to release. Meaning sometime in 2008 when MGS or FFXIII finalizes. That gives them plenty of time to continue to reduce manufactering costs to ensure a price cut won't cripple SCE for this entire gen as it did for MS's Xbox. However, the 360 has been out longer and is probably already making a profit or really close to it. That coupled with the 360's healthy attach rate means that they are probably ready to drop the price. When does Halo3 release? If that happens, as I think it will, Sony and Nintendo will be forced to match. The only company at this time that this will hurt will be Sony as they are not really ready to lose an additional $50 or $100 per console. So, I think there are two possibilities. 1. MS beleives they are selling at a decent rate and leave prices alone, which will let Sony keep the same price point until MGS or FF release. 2. MS decides that it is time and wants to stick it to Sony. Then price reduction in September.

Around the Network
Poseidon said:
Gballzack said:

1. And its already been pointed out quite thoroughly that your assumptions are wrong. Sony has officially and legally stated there will not be a price cut anytime soon. And each Sony branch also functions almost as an independent company so suggesting one would support the other is somewhat of a stretch.

2. Though we know it won't.

3. But facts have been provided to show it is not possible. A Price cut in Japan did not result in better sales. Sony has officially and legally said they will not be having a price cut anytime soon. That's pretty damning evidence, more than just opinion.

4. You were running off the tracks and trying to turn this into a discussion of character, not subject matter.

1.) I am aware of Fishey Joe's post and I wanted to respond. Sony officials have also indicated that there will be a price drop, and even Phil Harrison was asked, to which he responded, "No comment." Why would anyone make an announcement when it is not on some special showfloor? Sony officials have only left even more questions.

2.) No, no one knows for sure.

3.) Japan does not equal the whole world. Japan got their fix and now it's time for a few other places. Someone already mentioned that hardware is selling more than software. With that Fall line-up Sony has planned, I don't see why hardware and software won't be moved.

4.) Yes, because anyone who has stated that they would love to see Sony's demise should not have their opinions acknowledged when the discussion revolves on that very same company.

1. Yes they did say there would be one... not anytime soon.

2. No one knows if the president is a robot or not for sure either but playing on the suspension of disbelief doesn't justify the belief itself.

3. Japan is only a poor indicator of the 360 market, that's all, their better taste in games is also nothing to detur the fact that a price drop won't affect things. And whether Sony's line up is dynamite or not is a moot point in regards to this matter.

4. Again, you trying to make this a matter of character persecution rather than focusing on the topic at hand.

Gballzack said:
Dolla Dolla said:
FishyJoe said:

It's Sony's official position that there will be no price cut anytime soon. Just about every Sony executive has made statements consistent with that position. Along with Sony's own profit/loss estimates, there is plenty of evidence that a large price cut is unlikely soon.

Would you expect Sony to say, "Oh yes, we will be cutting the price this fall to coincide with our great selection of games?"

Can you imagine the NPD sales from now until price drop?

Corporate PR 101

Now you're just making excuses after the fact to keep believing what you want. Sony could declare the PS3 a bunkrupt prospect right now and you'd still try to argue that it wasn't true. There's a certain point when it just becomes unreasonable to persist.

I'm not making excuses. And no, if Sony declared it a bankrupt venture, I would not be defending it. What you are missing is I'm not defending it at all. I'm saying they NEED to drop the price, and that if they don't, it will cost them dearly for the holiday. Not once have I said I'm rooting for Sony, yet you still think this is a desperate attempt of a fanboy believing in the impossible.

One thing's for sure ...

Someone will be eating crow come the holidays.

Please don't turn this into a matter of name calling.

I don't see any name calling. Have you misread?

Around the Network

just the implication that I used the word fanboy here

Gballzack said:

1. Yes they did say there would be one... not anytime soon.

2. No one knows if the president is a robot or not for sure either but playing on the suspension of disbelief doesn't justify the belief itself.

3. Japan is only a poor indicator of the 360 market, that's all, their better taste in games is also nothing to detur the fact that a price drop won't affect things. And whether Sony's line up is dynamite or not is a moot point in regards to this matter.

4. Again, you trying to make this a matter of character persecution rather than focusing on the topic at hand.

*sigh*

1.) Sony says a price cut won't be slated for another 2-3 years;

Sony VP confirms a price cut;

Harrison clarifies Sony is only aiming at cost reduction;

Sony rejects any notion of a price cut;

Finally, Sony is thinking about a price drop.

Just one more to drive the point home.

2.)Umm.....

3.) I'm not talking about the 360 in Japan, and I'm not only talking about Japan; you're not seeing the forest for the trees. With some countries in Europe and Australasia being beat over the head with the price Sony has enacted, I don't see how people wouldn't embrace a price drop. The same applies to the many in North America who want the PS3 to drop in price. Considering the 20GB has been scrapped and they aren't losing as much money on that SKU, it wouldn't make sense for Sony to keep the price of the 60GB as is.

4.) With you, both.

Gballzack is a big reason why I don't post here much as his constant trolling and bashing of the PS3 gets old fast. Sony can absorb a larger loss on the PS3 because of how much that company does make. If you think about it, and they do drop the price to say $400, the systems would start flying off the shelves. If they did that tomorrow I would buy one right away even though there aren't many games that interest me on the PS3 yet. I'd know that the games would be coming in the near future that I want to play so now it would be a good investment. If they did that before GTA4 came out, I could see it's sales being higher on the PS3 since the system would be more affordable and the fact that MS wouldn't drop their price by more then $100 in response to a Sony price drop of that amount. If sony only did a $100 price drop, I wouldn't count on MS dropping the 360 by more then $50. Sure, initially they would be bleeding money from the system sales. However they would start to get that back as gamers buy more games, accessories, even Blu-Ray movies. Sony has the capital and ability to lose money so they can make it back by other means.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
Gballzack is a big reason why I don't post here much as his constant trolling and bashing of the PS3 gets old fast. Sony can absorb a larger loss on the PS3 because of how much that company does make. If you think about it, and they do drop the price to say $400, the systems would start flying off the shelves. If they did that tomorrow I would buy one right away even though there aren't many games that interest me on the PS3 yet. I'd know that the games would be coming in the near future that I want to play so now it would be a good investment. If they did that before GTA4 came out, I could see it's sales being higher on the PS3 since the system would be more affordable and the fact that MS wouldn't drop their price by more then $100 in response to a Sony price drop of that amount. If sony only did a $100 price drop, I wouldn't count on MS dropping the 360 by more then $50. Sure, initially they would be bleeding money from the system sales. However they would start to get that back as gamers buy more games, accessories, even Blu-Ray movies. Sony has the capital and ability to lose money so they can make it back by other means.

I don't agree, a 200$ price drop is suicide.  Sony would be likely to lose another 2 billion dollars on their next financial statement if they do that, and consider that the PS2 didn't even make them 3 billion in profits and that will tell you why they shouldn't do it. 

I'm gonna make this prediction right now, Sony will not make a cent from the PS3 when all is said and done whether they drop the price or don't.  They already lost 2 billion, and they will never be able to make that up this generation.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Gballzack said:
Please don't turn this into a matter of name calling.

look whos speaking...Why don't you just give it up?  At least I'm not buying your rediculous claim  "PS3 can't and won't have a price cut.  Anyone that disagrees with me is a biased sony fan" 

I'm mostly a reader but I'm quite tired of every potential PS3/Sony discussion thread become stirred in trolling and bashing from you, hostile Sony hater.  This thread started out good with logical discussions and opinions but you always have to start a endless war between you and dis-agreers.  sigh

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.