By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the PS3's price cut be? and when?

Every analyst, gamer, broadcast journalist, etc has been saying that sony just needs to cut the price.

But when should this happen?  And how much will the initial price cut be for the US?  

I say, within 2 months, and $100.   

What do you think?

Around the Network

Before the holidays (preferably early November) $100.

There won't be a price cut this year. Sony are still losing too much money on each PS3, and it would just push MS to cut price as well - maintaining the same price differential.

If MS drop their price for Thanksgiving, we *may* see a cut from Sony - but even that isn't assured.

I would expect a cut around Feb next year for the PS3. Maybe $100US.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think that Sony needs to drop the price $200 by November. Then, people will say,"Should I get a $400 x360 and buy a wireless adapter for another $100 and pay $50 a year for Xbox Live, or should I get a PS3, which has wireless online built in, and it has a free online service, for the same price?" I don't know about you guys, but I would choose the PS3 even if I don't like Sony as a company.

naznatips said:

I see sony's recent drop in sales as very problematic, and if they continue to let things slide, it will be very very difficult to get them back up to the level that they have been.  So, I think that this recent plummet in sales will force them to drop, quickly. 

Around the Network
dallas said:
naznatips said:

I see sony's recent drop in sales as very problematic, and if they continue to let things slide, it will be very very difficult to get them back up to the level that they have been. So, I think that this recent plummet in sales will force them to drop, quickly.

Well, while I agree the recent drop is a problem I don't think it's as bad as it looks.  The reason I say this is that there are no good games currently being released for the PS3, and why would anyone buy it without games no matter what the price point?  They aren't going to sell systems anyway till their big 3rd party titles hit this year (let's pray that they don't suck), so they might as well ride it out till the holidays when a price cut may boost sales.

when 65 nano chips are in th PS3.

the thing about 65 nm chips is that I really doubt that they would be cheaper. Why would they? smaller chip etchings means that you would have to get newer, more refined equipment, which will cost more. The upside might be better reliability and heat control but ...... that isn't price.

I've read that the "limit" that the engineers will be able to get in terms of the size of chip etchings will go down to no lower than 30nm.... so we are getting close to that "theoretical" limit, and product upgrades rarely happen with a price cut.  It just doesn't work that way.

If anybody could clear this up for me, please pitch in.

Also, these types of chip improvements aren't limited to the PS3. The other systems will have price reductions on their components as well.

Does not really say why, but it says they cost less http://www.toptechnews.com/news/IBM-Starts-Making-65-nm-Cell-Chips/story.xhtml?story_id=112008LF9GB4