By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the PS3's price cut be? and when?

Have you seen the game offering for PS3 in Japan, though? lol it's pathetic, and that's putting it nicely. The hardware outsells the software, for heaven's sake. I think they have leg room to drop the price in Europe, at the least, and perhaps some heavy bundling in the states. And I think the other divisions in Sony, particulary the one dealing with movies, would be willing to foot the bill. Blu-ray needs PS3, and Sony wants Blu-ray to win badly. This isn't just about a gaming console, you can believe that.

Around the Network

Japan is getting most if not all the games we are.

Blu-Ray doesn't need PS3, Blu-Ray has all the movies, and with Blu-Ray players dropping in price, the PS3 has become a moot stepping stone.

Uh ... have you taken a look at PS3 stand-alone player sales?

Believe me, Blu-ray NEEDS PS3.

They are barely beating HD-DVD in disc sales, yet HD-DVD has barely 20% of the capable hardware out to play HD-DVDs. If they are lucky, there might be 400,000 HD-DVD players in the wild compared to Sony's PS3 sitting at 3 million, and another 100,000 in standalone players.

Blu-ray performance is pathetic without PS3, and that's putting it as nicely as the game offering in Japan.

Oh, and the games that are available do not go well with the Japanese audience. The 360 software sells better. 

how many people are using their Ps3s as Blu-Ray players though, its still a moot point. The PS3 only acts as a promotional device, not a vehicle of supply and demand.

Gballzack said:
Poseidon said:
Gballzack said:
What good are people's adamant vocalizations if it quite simply just can't be done?

Says who?

You!? The insider of all things relating to Sony!?

This isn't a company that has been spending it's time in the red. This isn't a company that relies heavily and importantly on it's gaming division for revenue.

They have a lot of things riding on the PS3, and to think they will just sit as an idle duck is asinine.

And what evidence do you have to offer to the contrary? Where is your evidence that Sony's other branches will come to its rescue? Are you not aware that they're essentially their own individual companies within one larger company? Where is your evidence stock holders and CEOs won't force the Playstation to fold. Where is your evidence that they even have the money to withstand another loss in profit? You're nothing but well wishing and trying to convince yourselves everything will be just fine.

And what if they do lower the price? The price has already been lowered in Japan, and the results were not anything at all miraculous.

Besides, if the PS3's game line up is as awesome as you say it will be, what do you or Sony have to worry about with the PS3 costing $600? Isn't this the same crowd you said in the "who owns a PS3 thread" that it was well worth the $600. Shouldn't other consumers think like you if thats true?

The link Dolla Dolla provided is short but good enough.

I never said they will, but I did imply they should and might. You, on the other hand, have bastardized everyone who thinks different because you are so sure there won't be a price cut. The burden of proof falls on you. Show us the hard, concrete evidence that there won't be a price drop from Sony. Don't provide analysts; their job is to interpret crap whatever way to their own liking.

Around the Network
Poseidon said:
Gballzack said:
Poseidon said:
Gballzack said:
What good are people's adamant vocalizations if it quite simply just can't be done?

Says who?

This isn't a company that has been spending it's time in the red. This isn't a company that relies heavily and importantly on it's gaming division for revenue.

They have a lot of things riding on the PS3, and to think they will just sit as an idle duck is asinine.

And what evidence do you have to offer to the contrary? Where is your evidence that Sony's other branches will come to its rescue? Are you not aware that they're essentially their own individual companies within one larger company? Where is your evidence stock holders and CEOs won't force the Playstation to fold. Where is your evidence that they even have the money to withstand another loss in profit? You're nothing but well wishing and trying to convince yourselves everything will be just fine.

And what if they do lower the price? The price has already been lowered in Japan, and the results were not anything at all miraculous.

Besides, if the PS3's game line up is as awesome as you say it will be, what do you or Sony have to worry about with the PS3 costing $600? Isn't this the same crowd you said in the "who owns a PS3 thread" that it was well worth the $600. Shouldn't other consumers think like you if thats true?

I never said they will, but I did imply they should and might. You, on the other hand, have bastardized everyone who thinks different because you are so sure there won't be a price cut. The burden of proof falls on you. Show us the hard, concrete evidence that there won't be a price drop from Sony. Don't provide analysts; their job is to interpret crap whatever way to their own liking.

I'm simply the voice of reason here, at worst, the Devil's Advocate. The only thing to suggest bias in this thread is to think a price drop is even possible in the first place.

The burden of proof lies on who makes the initial positive claim and that is those in this thread suggesting a price drop is even possible. You don't make the initial claim like "Sony will drop the price of the PS3" then ask people for proof when they question it, that's not how it works.

Suffice it to say, there's no way of telling how many people use their PS3 as a Blu-ray player. But Blu-ray wouldn't be "winning" without the PS3. I'm glad this hasn't disintegrated into name-calling. But, I suppose it helps that I'm not a fanboy.

Ironically Blu-Ray is what is killing the PS3.

Gballzack said:

I'm simply the voice of reason here, at worst, the Devil's Advocate. The only thing to suggest bias in this thread is to think a price drop is even possible in the first place.

The burden of proof lies on who makes the initial positive claim and that is those in this thread suggesting a price drop is even possible. You don't make the initial statement ask them for proof when they question it, that's not how it works.

Yes, the voice of reason and the only thing being biased is this thread, and not the member whose reasoning is based on her bias towards a company.

F'n genius.

Poseidon said:
Gballzack said:
Poseidon said:
Gballzack said:

Says who?

And what evidence do you have to offer to the contrary? Where is your evidence that Sony's other branches will come to its rescue? Are you not aware that they're essentially their own individual companies within one larger company? Where is your evidence stock holders and CEOs won't force the Playstation to fold. Where is your evidence that they even have the money to withstand another loss in profit? You're nothing but well wishing and trying to convince yourselves everything will be just fine.

Besides, if the PS3's game line up is as awesome as you say it will be, what do you or Sony have to worry about with the PS3 costing $600? Isn't this the same crowd you said in the "who owns a PS3 thread" that it was well worth the $600. Shouldn't other consumers think like you if thats true?

I never said they will, but I did imply they should and might. You, on the other hand, have bastardized everyone who thinks different because you are so sure there won't be a price cut. The burden of proof falls on you. Show us the hard, concrete evidence that there won't be a price drop from Sony. Don't provide analysts; their job is to interpret crap whatever way to their own liking.

It's Sony's official position that there will be no price cut anytime soon. Just about every Sony executive has made statements consistent with that position. Along with Sony's own profit/loss estimates, there is plenty of evidence that a large price cut is unlikely soon.