By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the PS3's price cut be? and when?

ihira said:
Gballzack said:
Please don't turn this into a matter of name calling.

look whos speaking...Why don't you just give it up? At least I'm not buying your rediculous claim "PS3 can't and won't have a price cut. Anyone that disagrees with me is a biased sony fan"

I'm mostly a reader but I'm quite tired of every potential PS3/Sony discussion thread become stirred in trolling and bashing from you, hostile Sony hater. This thread started out good with logical discussions and opinions but you always have to start a endless war between you and dis-agreers. sigh

I agree with ihira. GBall, please stop being so mean spirited. I absolutely do not mind that you prefer the Wii to the PS3; that's not an issue. But can you stop deliberately impugning anyone who doesn't share your tastes? 

This is just a request. Can you please do that?  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Probably within the next year or so, the Playstation 3 will be sbout $100 cheaper.

1. The PS3 simply can't afford to drop the price of their console any further. They're already losing too much money. The simple reality is that stock holders and investors have too much money invested in it for Sony to act recklessly, even if another branch comes to bail Sony out this will show weakness and cause even more investors to jump ship. Sony's best and most realistic bet is to weather the current circumstances and lower the production cost as much as possible.

2. A Price cut won't affect the Ps3's sales significantly as Japan has shown us. Sony has already lost their momentum, now all they can do is damage control.

3. While Sony has offered conflicting comments on Price Cuts, the official verdict and legally binding one is that a Price Cut won't be in the making anytime soon. We can assume this to be the most accurate and valid take on the in-fighting going on within Sony as it is the only comment with legal weight. Sony has a legally binding responsability to their stock holders and investors to be honest and upfront, the suggestion that a price cut is in the making anytime soon would violate this and could result in legal action brought against Sony for price dumping.

4. If the games are going to do so well as claimed in other threads why do you need a price cut in the first place? According to the majority of posters in this forum I would say the consensus is that Sony is doing great, slow and steady. Are people backtracking on thier confidence in Sony here? I'd say this thread itself is a bigger insult to the PS3 than myself.

5. I've not resorted to name calling once in this thread nor have I been unjustly mean-spirited, I'm aware of my actions in other threads but if those are purely in matterial to what is happening here and pointing them out does littler more than illustrate the fact they're dodging the points I've brought up by attacking my character based on actions not illustrated in this thread. I've stayed on topic unless lead off by someone else and I am participating as a realistic and objective observer of the market, not a fanboy for one side or the other.

6. I've presented realistic and valid reasons as to why a Price Cut can't happen, yet you call me a biased when in fact it is you, who in arguing against the foundations of logic and reason, are being biased in favor of your own wants and desires over comon sense and reason. All the arguments here in favor of a price cut are either: 1.) After the fact. 2.) Baseless speculation. 3.) Founded purely on what isn't known rather than what is known. 4.) Sold on the slim possibility that it could happen not the likelihood of it happening).

Gballzack said:

3. While Sony has offered conflicting comments on Price Cuts, the official verdict and legally binding one is that a Price Cut won't be in the making anytime soon. We can assume this to be the most accurate and valid take on the in-fighting going on within Sony as it is the only comment with legal weight. Sony has a legally binding responsability to their stock holders and investors to be honest and upfront, the suggestion that a price cut is in the making anytime soon would violate this and could result in legal action brought against Sony for price dumping.

4. If the games are going to do so well as claimed in other threads why do you need a price cut in the first place? According to the majority of posters in this forum I would say the consensus is that Sony is doing great, slow and steady. Are people backtracking on thier confidence in Sony here? I'd say this thread itself is a bigger insult to the PS3 than myself.

5. I've not resorted to name calling once in this thread nor have I been unjustly mean-spirited, I'm aware of my actions in other threads but if those are purely in matterial to what is happening here and if you so value staying on topic, then stop dodging the questions by attacking my character based on actions not illustrated in this thread. I've stayed on topic unless lead off by someone else and I am participating as a realistic and objective observer of the market, not a fanboy for one side or the other.

6. I've presented realistic and valid reasons as to why a Price Cut can't happen, yet you call me a biased when in fact it is you who in arguing against the foundations of logic and reason in your hopes and desires for there to be a price cut. All the arguments here in favor of a price cut are either: 1.) After the fact. 2.) Pure baseless speculation. 3.) Founded on what isn't known rather than what is known.

3. it would be less dumping than inventory clearance and loss leading.  Having inventory can be more expensive than taking a loss and doing a writeoff.

4. Well, paying 60 for someone who already has a ps3 isn't a problem, but getting someone to pay $660 for a game would be very hard.

6. wrt favoring a price cut, it is a rational damage control move.  It keeps the SCE division relevant in this gen as it looks towards the next gen.  Not price cutting in 2007 is effectively ceding this gen to 360 and Wii and saying that you're out of this business.  Launching a new console is expensive.  Why invest in that?  But if you can prove that the product is worthy, but the price is the problem.  You can call yourself ahead of your time and investors still have some confidence in your DESIGN, and by making changes in marketing, you give them incentive to trust you for the future. 

Without something to give investors confidence, why would they invest in the next gen?

auroragb said:
Gballzack said:

5. I've not resorted to name calling once in this thread nor have I been unjustly mean-spirited, I'm aware of my actions in other threads but if those are purely in matterial to what is happening here and if you so value staying on topic, then stop dodging the questions by attacking my character based on actions not illustrated in this thread. I've stayed on topic unless lead off by someone else and I am participating as a realistic and objective observer of the market, not a fanboy for one side or the other.

6. I've presented realistic and valid reasons as to why a Price Cut can't happen, yet you call me a biased when in fact it is you who in arguing against the foundations of logic and reason in your hopes and desires for there to be a price cut. All the arguments here in favor of a price cut are either: 1.) After the fact. 2.) Pure baseless speculation. 3.) Founded on what isn't known rather than what is known.

3. it would be less dumping than inventory clearance and loss leading.  Having inventory can be more expensive than taking a loss and doing a writeoff.

4. Well, paying 60 for someone who already has a ps3 isn't a problem, but getting someone to pay $660 for a game would be very hard.

6. wrt favoring a price cut, it is a rational damage control move.  It keeps the SCE division relevant in this gen as it looks towards the next gen.  Not price cutting in 2007 is effectively ceding this gen to 360 and Wii and saying that you're out of this business.  Launching a new console is expensive.  Why invest in that?  But if you can prove that the product is worthy, but the price is the problem.  You can call yourself ahead of your time and investors still have some confidence in your DESIGN, and by making changes in marketing, you give them incentive to trust you for the future. 

Without something to give investors confidence, why would they invest in the next gen?

3. Still, matters of convenience don't give them the right to illegally mislead investors nor does it make the option of lowering the price any more feasable. I'm also not aware of warehouses being full of PS3s.

4. Pointing out the fact that "costing less = good" doesn't change the fact this thread's very nature stands in stark contrast to the mentality held in many of the other threads comon in this forum in regards to the PS3's success. No one here is advocating a price cut as a matter of personal convenience for the consumer they're advocating it as a desperately needed move by Sony if they are to survive. This is made clear in the rebutals against my previous statements. I also see no disclaimer in the threads praising the PS3's game line up saying anything to the effect of "The PS3's lineup is invincible... but only if it drops $200 by November".

5. A price cut is only a rational move if it can be afforded and I believe we can see quiet clearly that it isn't. It's also not a show of confidence in the least bit this early in the generation, its a sign of desperation. Sony has already committed legally to saying there will not be a price cut anytime soon as well meaning doing so will only result in legal troubles and further losses for their division. I'm not arguing its a poor idea to drop the price, I'm arguing its impossible to drop the price.

Around the Network

Here and now, Gballzack. Let's shake on it. You say it's an impossibility for Sony to cut the price this year. I say they need to, and will. I'll make a crow eating thread when we figure out who is right. /shake

Crow eating? Explain?

EATING CROW

When you have made a serious error and need to acknowledge it humbly, it is highly probable that the expression you use to describe the process has something to do with food.

The best-known traditional expression of this type in the US is to eat crow.

It's just admitting your prediction was wrong. That simple. The crow thread will be for a lot of things, not just this prediction. There are plenty of people who will be eating crow in these forums. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if Sony doesn't cut their price this year.

Savvy? 

Depend on E3 and TGS07, if _everyone_ will be impressed by PS3, then it possible no price cut this year. however, most like x360 going to get a price cut in november 22, so there could be some pricecut for ps3 though. 549$ for ps3, hmm.. interesting. =) 479$ - lol, that would be funny.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Predictions (valid for 2007 only):

1- The PS3 will get a price cut if and only if the 360 gets one first.

2- The 360 will get a price cut if (but not only if) Halo 3 doesn't significantly boost the system's sales.

Reasons:

1- Sony wants to decrease losses on the game division, and none of their killer apps are coming this year, so they'll just wait until those are released to consider a price cut. However, they'll be forced to do a price cut if MS does one.

2- If Halo 3 doesn't have much of an impact on sales, MS will bite the bullet and try to kill Sony's holiday sales with a price cut. Even if it does have a big impact, they might still decide to do the same though, hence the "but not only if".

Corollary to predictions 1 and 2: if Halo 3 doesn't increase the 360's sales, the PS3 will get a price cut. Funny, no? :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957