By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTAIV midnight launch numbers...

BKK2 said:
Faxanadu said:
BKK2 said:
Faxandu, this thread is about GTA IV midnight launch numbers, not about morality in games. Start a thread in the off topic section if you want to discuss this.

Bkk2, i didnt start that nor did i really want to reply to okey, but i thought he deserved an answer. if you think that a small off topic discussion, not even derailing the thread, is worrisome and you have to start crying about it like a little b%&$§ then the chartz might not be the right place for you.

Quite ironic how the poster who finds the concept of GTA "disturbing" thinks it's fine to accuse someone of "crying about it like a little b%&$§" when simply asked to stay on topic. To paraphrase:

"If this is the language of "anti-GTA" gamers, then I dont want to be considered "anti-GTA", ever. Seriously, listening to them makes me understand again why video game players were belittled in the 90s.

Whats this? congrats, you now have officially derailed the thread. Anything else you would like to do? And dont even try to be smart. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

UK: Brighton

Brighton goes bonkers for GTA IV

Hundreds of money-wielding shoppers lined the streets of Brighton last night to bag their long-awaited copies of Grand Theft Auto IV.

Those retailers opening their doors for the eager fans were two GAME stores and one Gamestation - each within a hundred yards of each other, bizarrely.

All three were mainly dishing out pre-ordered copies, and Gamestation produced the most impressive queue of the evening. Still, GAME had a passer-by who looked like a "demented cowboy" according some rather merry shoppers, so that's something.

Gamestation was the most forthcoming, and let us traipse into its shop, chat to its manager, and take pictures of single father Simon, 31, buying the first copy of the game. Well, copies; he bagged two on Xbox 360 and one on PS3.

How chuffed was he to get his hands on the game? "Oh, very," said Simon, fanning his copies out for the camera, "I've been waiting a long time for this."

Gamestation said it had more Xbox 360 pre-orders than PS3, but wouldn't be drawn on specifics. It wouldn't talk to us at all this morning. We think our pictures caused a bit of trouble.

GAME on Western Road bucked ours and its predictions by selling more PS3 copies, despite having 170 Xbox 360 and 120 PS3 pre-orders available last night. Ian, who answered the phone this morning, wasn't allowed to give numbers, but said the PS3 had it "by a nose".

"We imagined that it would be 360," he added. "And after it has all fallen out and panned out it probably will be, by an edge."

GAME wouldn't let us in, but we managed to capture possibly the happiest shopper of the night.

GAME in Churchill Square had three security guards to monitor only 40 shoppers last night, and they folded their arms at us and were very sorry but you are not allowed to ask questions or take pictures.

Still, they managed to not tell us that more 360 copies had been pre-ordered, and this morning revealed that the Microsoft platform was still in the lead. By a lot? "Yeah; double," said our non-specific phone answerer.

But what did the rabble have to offer? We split them into two groups: the GAME gang and the Gamestation bunch.

The GAME gang was excited "because [GTA] is always class", and surmised that it would be "game of the year". They laughed when we suggested Wii Fit might give it a run for its money; "I don't mind Nintendo," admitted one, "I'm just into hardcore gaming."

What about games making you violent, GAME gang? "Rubbish. Go and watch a horror film; same thing, isn't it?"

And what does the Gamestation bunch say to those who claim games make you violent? "Ridiculous. I say play those games; most people who say that have never actually picked up a controller."

But parents play a role in this, don't they? "They should know better," declared one. "Depends on the kids," suggested another. "If the parents are buying it for a 17 year-old kid then that's fair enough. But you're not going to want to be buying that sort of stuff for your 10 or 12 year-old".

Finally, we thought we would find out why people had chosen one version over another if they owned both consoles. One fellow picked the PS3 "because the PlayStation pad is just designed for that game, always has been". But what about rumble support? "Oh." His friends laughed.

Almost everyone we talked to had the next day, or even week off work to play Grand Theft Auto IV. Most were off home to pop it on and play it until they dropped.

Link[/

Back to topic:

Seems a bit of a mixed bad at proper gamestores rather than Tesco/Asda. 360 seems to be edging it, though, and also more 360 versions preordered than PS3 versions.

crap thats a piss lot! and thats just one store!

Australia: Sydney

GTAIV launches down under
Thousands of gamers queue at retail stores across Australia for Grand Theft Auto IV midnight launches.

Australian gamers have long become used to the fact that tardy release schedules often result in games being released here weeks and even months after they become available overseas. But in a rare occurrence, one of the year's biggest titles became available for Aussie consumers before the US and European release (albeit by only a day). Grand Theft Auto IV went on sale nationwide tonight, with hundreds of stores across Australia opening their doors for midnight launches.

With the game receiving a global release date of April 29, time zone differences meant that Australian gamers were some of the first in the world to lay their hands on Rockstar's latest opus, with thousands of gamers nationwide lining up at retail stores overnight. At the EB Games stores in Sydney's city centre (in Pitt St Mall and Galleries Victoria), more than 100 people gathered, while more than 200 waited outside EB Games' Bondi Junction store. At GAME's Broadway location, more than 70 gamers were lined up to grab their copy of Grand Theft Auto IV. The EB Games at Broadway had more than 40 people braving the night's chill to purchase the game.

A quick poll by GameSpot AU of people waiting in queues at several Sydney retail locations found that the number of people buying PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions was split fairly evenly, with no one console coming out as the clear favourite. Retailers also reported that the PS3/Xbox 360 sales split was close. Last week, several Australian retailers were reporting that the PS3 version was ahead in terms of preorder numbers.

Link

Around the Network

The gamestop I preorder MK Wii got 160 MKWii, and 130 Brawls...

I do not live in major metro area either, just a decent sized city. I hope for the sake of GTA4 your GS is a small one.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
The gamestop I preorder MK Wii got 160 MKWii, and 130 Brawls...

I do not live in major metro area either, just a decent sized city. I hope for the sake of GTA4 your GS is a small one.

The OP gave numbers for midnight sales, he didn't post preorder numbers.

Jesus, I never expected it to be this huge tbh, those are LotR trilogy lines!
The first week (and second and third for that matter) numbers will be astonishing, I bet Rockstar is gonna go out to celebrate this weekend...

@ Fax

Huh? I didn't expect that from you. Be kind to BKK, he is by far is best member to find sales info.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

My friend biked down to our local gamestop (which is pretty un-popular) around 11:45, got there, said he saw a literal line of about 3-400 people waiting, instantly turned around and said Fuq it :P That's INSANE.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.