By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of you really own a PS3?

but yes i do own a ps3... my only complaint is no games... they have delivered on almost everthing but that so far...starting in june theres a steady flow of games though...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

kn your right about mas market ill agreed, an nintendo really gets that theory, but from where i see it the ps3 20gb version was only 100$ more then the premium version of the xbox360, and its almost the same machien, 20gb, no wireless, and the ps3 included hdmi and bluray, and that version didnt sell well ider, they even stop making that version, and the xbox360 premium sold very well, so i think is wierd. a bad thing for the ps3 is that it has a lot of 360 ports but not many original games, that is something that the have to fix an in a hurry because their game library is pretty sort but now you can do other stuff like plays standar dvd in 1080p upscaling and more.

pretty much no one. 600$ is a just a lot of money to play 1 or 2 good games.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

DonWii said:
Funny how even this thread turned into a price discussion of the PS3. *Hint* *Hint* Sony.

Actually, it's really not that funny.  It's quite obvious to me... The funny part is how "unobvious" it was when Sony decided to put out a box at $600.

You can use any parallel of any product you want.  Cars for instance:

Honda Accord - Sells by the bazillion.  Quick, Agile, great for the masses (and sells that way)

Chevy Corvette - Sells well, but by no means anywhere near the Accord.

Ferrari - Sells just a few thousand a year, if that, but they are an ultimate car.

It is all about the price of the product as it relates to relative pricing in the mass market.  A Camry, for instance, is priced about the same as an Accord and sells relatively the same number of units.   Lamborghini is comparable to the Ferrari and sells roughly the same.  And so on... 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Bonafide732 said:

TheBigFatJ said:

What impresses you about the PS3 compared to the 360? As far as gaming is concerned, the 360 is really better hardware (more fill rate, much more general purpose CPU power, more flexible memory architecture).

Additionally, BD players have dropped significantly in price since the PS3 launched 6 months ago, and will further drop significantly in price within the next 6 months. Six months from now the PS3 will no longer be an average priced BD player but rather a very expensive BD player.

For example, standalone BD players were $1000 when the PS3 launched. They're $469 for a good one now. By the end of the year they will be $299 or cheaper.

deg you wasnt joking around.. i checked online and i could find a blu ray player for 450... thats a hell of a price drop since last november.. i predict a ps3 price drop this fall... even if its only 50 dollars... they have to at least make it compete with other blu ray players. prices....

Dropping $50 wouldn't compete with standalone players right now.  $50 down would put the PS3 at $550 with the BD players at $450 right now.  Further, by  Christmas BD players will likely be $299 or cheaper, as I've said.  You can already get HD-DVD players are already well under $299.

DVD upscaling to 1080p is a feature available on cheap DVD players (as well as BD and HD-DVD players), as well as the Xbox 360.  It's not a real feature -- especially if you're like me and you have a TV with a scaler comperable to scaling done in the best upscaling DVD players (fixed pixel TVs *have* to scale to their native resolution).

Around the Network
betsfro said:
kn your right about mas market ill agreed, an nintendo really gets that theory, but from where i see it the ps3 20gb version was only 100$ more then the premium version of the xbox360, and its almost the same machien, 20gb, no wireless, and the ps3 included hdmi and bluray, and that version didnt sell well ider, they even stop making that version, and the xbox360 premium sold very well, so i think is wierd. a bad thing for the ps3 is that it has a lot of 360 ports but not many original games, that is something that the have to fix an in a hurry because their game library is pretty sort but now you can do other stuff like plays standar dvd in 1080p upscaling and more.

Yes, the 360 premium is selling better than the PS3 but is by no means sealling "well". It is selling incrementally better than the PS3 only because it is incrementally better priced. As far as "mass market pricing" the 360 is not in that arena yet, either. It's still far too expensive to be a big seller.  IMHO, I believe the first console of the PS3/360 to reach $299 (psycological price barrier below $300) will have the highest chance of being the long term victor.

I belive that if Microsoft, today, knew how poorly the PS3 would be selling, they could have dropped their price on the premium to 299 and gone 389 on the elite, they could have just about put a nail in the ps3 coffin given the strong lineup of 360 games compared to the PS3. (that is assuming that Sony didn't take drastic measures and cut their console to say $399 or $449)

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Yeah, I've had a PS3 for about a month now, and I want a Wii by about this time next year. I have no interest in the 360, however.

i won one. the 20GB. i never play it. i only use it to watch bluray movies!

I'm way too far below the poverty line to be getting 650€ gaming consoles. Lots of games coming for it that interest me, so I'll probably get one when they get reasonably cheap in many, many years.

well the point now is that ps3 is a great console, but pricy as hell, but the things about this ps3 forum, is why so many people talks trash about it and it dosent havent even used or played yet, talks trash and i dosent even have a clue of what the ps3 is capable of