By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of you really own a PS3?

betsfro said:
well the point now is that ps3 is a great console, but pricy as hell, but the things about this ps3 forum, is why so many people talks trash about it and it dosent havent even used or played yet, talks trash and i dosent even have a clue of what the ps3 is capable of

From a gaming perspective, will you tell us what it is capable of that the 360 isn't?  You keep mentioning that it's this great machine, but I don't see any compelling arguments to make me agree with you.

All I see are games available on the 360 and the PS3, and the 360 versions are almost always better.  Look at FEAR -- this was a game ported to the 360 from the PC.  Then it was ported to the PS3 from the PC.  The 360 version looks and plays much better, has a better frame rate, cleaner graphics, more vivid colors, etc.  And you can't argue that it's a port from the 360 version, because both console versions were ported from the PC.

Look at Call of Duty 3.  Look at Spiderman 3.  These games have significantly better framerates for the Xbox 360 version.  They both have better graphics as well (although CoD 3 is close).  The sad reality is that games require a lot of general purpose CPU power and the Xbox 360 has 3x as much general purpose CPU power than the PS3.

Around the Network
kn said:
DonWii said:
Funny how even this thread turned into a price discussion of the PS3. *Hint* *Hint* Sony.

Actually, it's really not that funny.  It's quite obvious to me... The funny part is how "unobvious" it was when Sony decided to put out a box at $600.

You can use any parallel of any product you want.  Cars for instance:

Honda Accord - Sells by the bazillion.  Quick, Agile, great for the masses (and sells that way)

Chevy Corvette - Sells well, but by no means anywhere near the Accord.

Ferrari - Sells just a few thousand a year, if that, but they are an ultimate car.

It is all about the price of the product as it relates to relative pricing in the mass market.  A Camry, for instance, is priced about the same as an Accord and sells relatively the same number of units.   Lamborghini is comparable to the Ferrari and sells roughly the same.  And so on... 

One of the barriers that appears for all luxury products is that most people simply can not afford your product, of those that can afford your product few people have an interest in it, even those that have an interest may not be able to justify the purchase.

In terms of the PS3 (pulling numbers from my posterior)...

• Only 1/3 of households in North America can afford to buy a $500+ console
  • Only 1/3 of people who can afford a $500+ system only 1/3 have an interest in the type of gaming it provides
  • Only 1/3 of people who can afford a $500+ system and are interested in gaming are willing to justify the purchase when there are cheaper alternatives on the market (XBox 360, Wii, PS2, etc.)

So from my fake numbers the PS3's potential market has shrunk from approximately 100 Million households in North America to just under 4 Million households.

In contrast consider the Wii's strategy

• Nearly 1/2 of housholds would be able to afford a $250 system
  • Nearly 1/2 of housholds who can afford a $250 system are interested in a gaming system
  • Nearly 1/2 of those households can justify the purchase

Overall the result is that the same 100 Million households is only shrunk to 12.5 Million potential customers. (The number of households who would be interested in gaming was assumed to increase with the lower price because people who have a lower household income [younger families, single people] probably would be more interested in gaming at the current time.

TheBigFatJ said:

What impresses you about the PS3 compared to the 360? As far as gaming is concerned, the 360 is really better hardware (more fill rate, much more general purpose CPU power, more flexible memory architecture).

Additionally, BD players have dropped significantly in price since the PS3 launched 6 months ago, and will further drop significantly in price within the next 6 months. Six months from now the PS3 will no longer be an average priced BD player but rather a very expensive BD player.

For example, standalone BD players were $1000 when the PS3 launched. They're $469 for a good one now. By the end of the year they will be $299 or cheaper.

Yeah, better hardware if you enjoy those 3 red rings....

Had to say it, the 360 is so badly and cheaply made to keep the price low that the failure rates are amazing. Ps3 doesn't have that problem. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
TheBigFatJ said:

What impresses you about the PS3 compared to the 360? As far as gaming is concerned, the 360 is really better hardware (more fill rate, much more general purpose CPU power, more flexible memory architecture).

Additionally, BD players have dropped significantly in price since the PS3 launched 6 months ago, and will further drop significantly in price within the next 6 months. Six months from now the PS3 will no longer be an average priced BD player but rather a very expensive BD player.

For example, standalone BD players were $1000 when the PS3 launched. They're $469 for a good one now. By the end of the year they will be $299 or cheaper.

Yeah, better hardware if you enjoy those 3 red rings....

Had to say it, the 360 is so badly and cheaply made to keep the price low that the failure rates are amazing. Ps3 doesn't have that problem.

Well if a PS3 is overheating it shuts it self off, 360 just overheats till death.   

How did this turn into another PS3 bashing thread? If you don't own a PS3 why are you posting here to talk shit about it when the thread is asking for those who own the console to respond...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
How did this turn into another PS3 bashing thread? If you don't own a PS3 why are you posting here to talk shit about it when the thread is asking for those who own the console to respond...

jealousy for one.

Blue3 said:
ckmlb said:

jealousy for one.

Joy to see a company that treats its customers badly go down.

Vehement opposition to the philosophy behind the PS3. (lol let's stick in BR that bumps the price up by 200$, claim it's needed for games and tell customers to get a second job!!1)

Loyalty towards other products. Let's be honest here, you guys are just the same in this respect.

*Edit*

I'm sorry, I was trying to be positive about the PS3 and avoid potential flames earlier. I just couldn't ignore the gross ignorance of your previous reply.

I've had mine since a few days after the UK launch, my only annoyance is that there definately needs to be more agmes, even if they are only multiplat with xBox 360. I have R:FOM, Motorstorm and RR7. Then again, I have loads of PS2 games, and even though I don't have an HD Tv to make use of upscaling, it's still good to play PS2 games because you have the ease of use of a wireless controller, also the loading times are significantly shorter for most games. Especially with the Gran Turismo games I've noticed.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

The only problem I've had with my PS3 is it's atractiveness to dust, it's really beginning to piss me off. The other day I had two fans blowing and sucking on/from it, about 3 minutes and all the dust was gone from the PS3 and the general area around it, also the room was ice cold. Goes downstairs for dinner, once finished goes back to room, looks at PS3 "Hmm... nice fur coa-WHAT THE F*&^"

Parokki said:
Blue3 said:
ckmlb said:

jealousy for one.

Joy to see a company that treats its customers badly go down.

Vehement opposition to the philosophy behind the PS3. (lol let's stick in BR that bumps the price up by 200$, claim it's needed for games and tell customers to get a second job!!1)

Loyalty towards other products. Let's be honest here, you guys are just the same in this respect.

*Edit*

I'm sorry, I was trying to be positive about the PS3 and avoid potential flames earlier. I just couldn't ignore the gross ignorance of your previous reply.

LMFAO It does suck being poor, i didnt even need one job to get a PS3. Its called savings.

BR its not needed, Kojima is maxing out a 50 gig BR disk the people behind GTA4 are bitching at 360 limited space.   And no load times in Uncharted, you can thank BR for that.  Your really not one to talk ignorance.