By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Go Outside!

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/miyamoto-encourages-gamers-to-get-outside--/?biz=1

Nintendo has positioned the Wii as a family console since the beginning and Miyamoto is hopeful that the launch of Wii Fit will help bring family and friends together in the West in much the way it did in Japan. "In Japanese households suddenly new conversations are springing up between fathers and mothers, fathers and daughters, talking about Wii Fit," he said.

As much as Miyamoto wants you to play his game, however, the creator of Mario also recognizes the importance of balancing gaming with other activities. He encouraged people not to play for very long periods of time. "Spending too long, staying in and playing any video game is not good," he said. "I always tell my children to get out on a sunny day and I, myself, went jogging in Central Park yesterday. But I do my stretching on Wii Fit. They work together."

Heh, some nice hidden marketing in there Miyamoto. But seriously, I do think that a balance is required between video games and other not-so-awesome aspects of living, such as a social life. What do you think?

Also, to further send this thread into the stratosphere of greatness, here's a reply from NeoGAF:

"Well he basically denigrated those who have dedicated their lives to playing video games, so yeah I do think I have a right to feel insulted and state that he has "sold out."

Funny, you never hear people complaining about scientists doing "too much research" or doctors "practicing too much medicine." Yet when it comes to those who have dedicated themselves to gaming, it's ok to take potshots. That my friend is what they call a double standard."

Ah NeoGAF, you never seem cease to amaze me. (Yes, the poster was serious)

Around the Network

Haha did he seriously compare scientists doing too much research and doctors practicing too much medicine to playing too much video games?

It's one thing to not like the Wii or agree with its approach but to blindly hate Nintendo/Miyamoto so much to make such a horrid analogy is just hilarious.

Well this should be no surprise, considering the Wii regularly tells you to go jump out a window.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Wow just W-O-W...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Just so more people don't mix up the actual article with Smeags' commentary on it.

Here's the article itself. You'll notice there actually really isn't anything out of the ordinary in it.

As part of his recent New York media blitz Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto spoke with the U.K.'s Times Online in advance of the launch of Wii Fit on May 19 in North America.

Nintendo has positioned the Wii as a family console since the beginning and Miyamoto is hopeful that the launch of Wii Fit will help bring family and friends together in the West in much the way it did in Japan. "In Japanese households suddenly new conversations are springing up between fathers and mothers, fathers and daughters, talking about Wii Fit," he said.

As much as Miyamoto wants you to play his game, however, the creator of Mario also recognizes the importance of balancing gaming with other activities. He encouraged people not to play for very long periods of time. "Spending too long, staying in and playing any video game is not good," he said. "I always tell my children to get out on a sunny day and I, myself, went jogging in Central Park yesterday. But I do my stretching on Wii Fit. They work together."

For Miyamoto and Nintendo, Wii Fit is all about spreading the positive message about the potential of games. "I want to show that computer games can be good for you, can enrich your life," he noted. "People say video games are a waste of time and are bad for your brain and for your health. We wanted to create something to answer that."

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Thats not a problem for me since i do alot of gardening.

Its to cold to go outside right now.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Me? Go outdoors?

You're dead to me, Miyamoto. You're dead to me.

I'ma WOW this too. WoW!

Unless you get payed for it, playing video games is not productive. Dedicating yourself to not being productive is not something to be proud of.

When you dedicate yourself to making video games, then you can bitch at Miyamoto for promoting balance in one's life. Even then you'll still sound like an idiot.

I can't its too cold and rainy outside,
I'll stay in here and play more of warioware