By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Nintendo Wii dominating Sony PS3 and Microsoft 360?

So much blue... I'm getting so tired, yawn. Wake me up when the fanboys have destroyed planet.

Around the Network

"Next generation" (sometimes abbreviated "next gen") is a buzzword that's been flying around as long as there have been incremental upgrades to products. It's traditionally used to refer to the latest incremental upgrade in an ongoing series of incremental upgrades. Indeed, one television series even went so far as to subtitle its incremental upgrade "The Next Generation". Each time a new product is announced that will supersede what came before it, it's called "next generation", and the term is hyped up to mean something besides what it's synonymous with, "incremental upgrade".

Nintendo has not referred to the Wii as "next generation". They've used the term "new generation" in regards to it numerous times, however.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

To add to what Sky Render stated, the industry considers the PS3/Wii/X360 generation to the 7th generation.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Simple
Innovative
Recognizable 1st party franchises
Reasonable Price
Good Brand Appeal

The wii is appealing to everyone to all ages
and all kinds of people with different experiences

Around the Network

@libellule: ==> I m not sure you are right. This is only ur own guess.
I don't think it's a matter of opininion, just look for example the multiconsole owners. ==> u are talking about the swtching of devs from PS360 to Wii, OK

Yes i am, and that's basically the only thing that kills sales. As long as you have a certain level support, sales tend to keep on a similar level, but when it starts to drop, the sales are going to drop too. I see the things differently. I think Wii will get a lot of support but I doubt PS360 will stop to have their own support. They will have less games (need more money/time) but they will continue to have games from third devs (+ firsty devs). PS360 is a huge users base with very active players that play and buy games. I doubt third party devs will stop making games for them since they buy a lot of games.  First, the support doesn't completely drop, even DC had some 3rd party support and as i was saying, the amount of support effects sales, the only question just is about how much support they are going to get. You see, Wii would have similar software support with PS360, by having half smaller dev support. Secondly, even that they would buy a lot of games per console, Wii is going to beat them anyway with bigger installbase. So, the you didn't really have point there. Also technically, the Wii has limitation. Some devs will just prefers focus on HD because they are aiming high ended visuals for more cinematics games. It's not devs decicion, it's the publishers who get to decide. Anyway, the ones who want to make visually impressive content instead of money (although some will get a good money out of PS360) are the ones that are going to "stay". But as a hint, visuals don't keep the business running.

Also EVEN IF Wii is getting all the games (even the mature, even the hardcore), the hardcore gamers will continue to focus on the PS360 because it will give them the best visuals and the best online community (compared to the Wii).  

And Wii has forecast channel and everybody votes channel. As you can see, without the games there's really no need trying to prove a point that doesn't exist.

By Xmas 08 both Sony/MS will have their own "motion sensing" controler so hardcore gamers will not have to switch back to the Wii. 

PS3 had since launch. And what did i say in the last paragraph about games?

And no, the arcadeXbox360 is not really selling.

Actually, this is the Wii that is killing the Xbox360 arcade offer by being A LOT more attractive for casuals than the Xbox360 arcade is. Without the Wii, the 270$/199€ entry price of the Xbox360 would drive the Xbox360 beyond 100k weekly in NA/PAL
Oh, but doesn't this contradict what you said about not competing about the same audience? ==> I m not sure WHY Sony destroyed gaming.

Sony had the commanding position in the market, which means that it should control the market so, that it doesn't lose publics appeal, while being profitable for the industry. Now, when saying that the market crashed, it's only Sony to blaim for abusing its position. If it didn't crash, there's a gamer transition going from Sony to Nintendo. You decide.

But I assume people posting online (= mostly hardcore gamers) are not happy to see the Wii selling very well when the console that they want to buy (Xbox360/PS3), because they could play the games they want to play (mature hardcore games), are selling less.

Well now, then buy a Wii and get the type of games for it and everyone will be happy. Getting a console just because it's just a console you like, without basing your purchase for games, is just fanboyism. These people need to grow up.

Whatever, Wii is increasing the market, so yes, a lot of casuals/nongamers are very happy with the Wii but these guys are not registered in IGN/VGChartz.

Apparently they aren't. Which is good to see, that the "hardcore" crowd find Wii appealing.

==> In these points I dont believe. i see so much things different.

==> Yep, Wii is mainly selling because of her content. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

1. much more fun
2. more active
3. something new and special
4. best games
5. lower price

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Sky Render said:

Nintendo has not referred to the Wii as "next generation". They've used the term "new generation" in regards to it numerous times, however.

http://digg.com/nintendo/Will_Wright_Wii_the_ONLY_next_gen_console

Some of the best disagree with that.

Will Wright and others have said it. Nintendo has not. If you check their financial reports, the term "new generation" pops up frequently, while "next generation" is nowhere to be found.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

bdbdbd said:
Aquietguy said:
Foshoryuken said:

In your guys' opinion, why is Nintendo on top and winning right now?

As you can all see, Nintendo Wii is still a hot commodity and on top..But why?

Luck of the draw?

Better games?

I'll have to say because of two reasons.
1) The price point. It has always been low so it attracted more attention than the other two higher priced consoles.
2) The wii mote. They went the innovation route instead of the traditional.
Because of this they have expanded to market. They did the right thing because, if they would have went the traditional route, the ps3 would win the gen. Eventually pasting the 360 and they would have been third again. They knew that they had to go another path to beat the 900 pound gorilla named play station. The wii would have been called the kiddy console with HD. 

No, the pricepoint isn't low. It's "standard". PS2 isn't outselling Wii even that it's cheaper. 360 is currently cheaper than Wii, and apparently it's still not outselling Wii, and besides, 360 has been on a similar (standard) pricerange for quite some time, while Wii has still outsold it by large margin. Wii Remote is only half of the truth, since it's really nothing without the software supporting it. Just like the gyroscopic function in PS3 controller, bad or half-assed support at most part, makes it a non-factor. So, saying Nintendo made appealing product that is well supported by the main product (software) without pricing it too high (now, being the most expensive Nintendo console doesn't equal cheap), would be a better answer. And since you had only two posts, welcome to VGChartz.

Thanks! But I'm not new to VG charts since I have been reading post for a while. I just decided to start posting. When I say lower price point I was comparing it to the other consoles this gen. But you are in agreement with me in your post.