By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Nintendo Wii dominating Sony PS3 and Microsoft 360?

In my opinion the reason for Wii's success is due to simple games for new players.
My parents (in their 70's) can play some wii games.
they wouldn't know what to do with games on 360 or PS3.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
libellule said:
HappySqurriel said:

A lot of people like thinking that gamers fit into a single stereotypical demographic. For a lot of reasons that are unlikely to change through out this generation the Wii has a lot of support from the following (non-exclusive) categories:

• Family Gamers ==> Casuals
  • Social Gamers ==> Casuals
  • Old-School gamers ==> what do u mean ??? old school Ninty games ? ==> Nintendo fans
  • "Blue-Ocean" gamers ==> lol ? dont get ur point = casuals ?
  • Nintendo Fans ==> OK
  • Core Gamers ==> ... what is Core gamers for you ? for me, it is GTA+Madden+GT = Xbox360/PS3/Wii

The only categories of gamers I think Nintendo has yet to (really) gain a lot of support from are

"Mature" gamers YES
and Sports/Racing gamers YES

==> 2 HUGE category in term of games released AND games sales.

I could have also divided this category to make the impression PS360 are targetting a lot of different markets as u have done with the CASUALs market.

; to put numbers to it, Nintendo is doing well with 80% of gamers and poorly with 20% of gamers. In contrast the support flips when you're talking about the PS3 and XBox 360.

==> u are right but most of these "80%" are basically casuals/non gamers that are, usually, not interested in video games or/and dont buy a console early in a generation AND dont buy a lot of games : Nicole Kidman says "Hi!".

Wow, the ignorace with your post is strong ...

Just because a gamer doesn't play the generic FPS, Racing and Sports games that people typically associate with "Gamers" does not mean that they're any less likely to buy a system early in its life, or to buy a lot of games throughout the generation.

==> sorry, for me, hardcore gamers :
buy console earlier, buy more games, play more games, put more money on gaming
BY OPPOSITION, IN AVERAGE, casuals gamers :
buy console later, buy less games, play less games, put less money on gaming (that explain less games)
For the FIRST time, a console is dedicated to them : the Wii (see Wii advertising if u dont trust me)

Time to Work !

SuperLloyd said:
Are GTA, Madden and Gran Turismo really considered "core" on this forum? My personal experience with people that buy these games is that they buy ONLY these games and let their consoles rot until the next iteration. That sounds hardly core to me, personally. They can't be contributing to much beyond these two or three franchises.

==> sorry, it depends what u mean by "core"

For me "core" is not "hardcore". Core gamers are casual that have heavly contributed to PS/PS2 succeess by buying Madden/Fifa/PES/GT/GTA4, they are adolescent or young adult and male.

This population know some video games very well (see the list) but dont know some others more hardcore games.

They are the "male half casual" for me

They dont buy Wii since they want GTA4.

Time to Work !

Why didn´t they apply this whole strategy to the GameCube?...why only now?

Its the cheapest console sold in america,the economy is not that great so people are buying a less expensive console.Also,the Wii is a simple console to play on so all ages can learn how to play their games easier.

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell

Around the Network

@JGarret

The GameCube didn't involve a Blue Ocean strategy because at the time, Nintendo was not yet sure what they would need for that. The DS was their first foray since the Game Boy into testing the waters and finding a possible source of disrupting the industry.

As for why they didn't attempt a disruption at any point between the Game Boy and the DS?  Ultimately, it was the promotion of Satoru Iwata to company president that led to the shift in focus.  His predecessors did not want to take the risk he did in making a new market entirely.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

RolStoppable said:
The answer why the Wii is dominating the 360 and PS3 is simple:

The Wii offers a better gaming experience.

QFT

The thread should have ended with this thread winning post. 

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

JGarret said:
Why didn´t they apply this whole strategy to the GameCube?...why only now?

It's a strategy that takes years of planning and some testing (DS says hi) and trying to revert one strategy (GC as it were) towards a new strategy (Wii's bluye ocean strategy) would be a very difficult task and probably fail.  It has to be from the start or not at all.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

alpha_dk said:
Wow, I am so honored to have seen the birth of the new wave of wii-bashing. No longer content with 'It doesn't sell 3rd party games,' here we have apparently seen the creation of the 'Well, it hasn't forced my console out of existence, so it can't be that good' argument.

Congratz, libellue

==> I never stated this ...

I m just saying the whole industry was not prepared and has still some problem to see the Wii as THE big winner.

That is why, despite Wii amazing sales, PS360 are killing (share the same market) AND helping together (multiplateform games) in the same time allowing them to receive a lot of support from the industry.

GTA4/RE5/SC4/SH4/Farcry2/UT3 ==> not on the Wii.

Be sure I know this could change in the future. YES, definitively.

But, for the moment, Wii has focused on casual while PS360 have focused on hardcore. All are surviving pretty well on different market despite "Wii domination".

Time to Work !

Actually the GameCube was a great experiment in the Blue Ocean, with the giant green A button and tiny red B button. A is for jump, shoot, gas, the primary action, it's easy to see and touch. Anybody can use it.

It just wasn't a huge breakthough success like the Wii. It was a good small step in the right direction though and helped tap the casual market.