By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 10 Golden Rules of Fanboyism

lol, Nice list

Around the Network

@ Parokki )

fanatics are everywhere - it's not a particular problem of the gaming world and it's entirely not related to "gaming" as in playing games and discussing them

To many points are correct for me , so I wont make a comment :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Fanboys, by nature, are usually among the most vocal members on websites so ignoring them gets hard in the long run.
I feel that Vgchartz is a very docile and mature site in regards to fanboys and I think our threshold for "fanboyism" in here is ludicrously low compared to many other sites. We're like the rich kid who doesn't realize he's well off and doing fine.

reminds me of some vgchartz members

you know who you are !!!!!!

lol jk

Around the Network

ya sounds like som peeps here....
(if your offended by the above sentence you are one)

Sweet....

Yeap... this is Lavos...

Hm, let me see how well I fit the criteria...

1. I try not to deal in absolutes, and I do recognize a valid argument when I see one. The problem is that a great deal of the arguments generated (both for and against things that interest me) are flawed.

2. If one considers pointing out a flawed argument as an attack, then I suppose this could apply. Not very well, but still.

3. Not really; people can choose whatever they want. I'm more interested in process than end results.

4. This is very much not my style. The more points (positive and negative), the better the discussion.

5. I rather detest using labels like that, and frequently retract them quickly on the rare occasions I use them. Labels are convenient, but also rarely accurate.

6. While I do get tired of people reiterating the same (flawed) arguments all of the time, I am willing to listen if they have a valid point. Which is disappointingly rare...

7. Quite the contrary, I tend to have rather lengthy discussions and arguments. How can one not when analyzing process?

8. The end results don't concern me much, so I can't really see any point in doing this.

9. I try to avoid reducto-ad-absurdium and other such dramatic flair, for as trendy as it is, it ultimately just makes the person who uses it appear to have a very extreme and narrow view of reality.

10. This isn't exactly something I can make a personal judgement call on; I don't think it applies to me, but then, who would openly say that such a thing did?

Not very well, overall, it would seem... Though this is a fairly decent list of how closed-mindedness works in extreme cases regarding video games.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

NJ5 said:
SHMUPGurus said:
I guess numbers 1., 2., 4., 5. and 8. are the ones I recognize the most. The other ones are just funny, I guess. =P

Number 7 also happens a lot here. People post some illogical criticism, then never bother replying to people who contradict them, besides acting as if it never happened.

cklmb seemed to do that a few times. He'd post some trolling comment, and threads got derailed trying to get him to reply to them proving him wrong. This may have been what lost his job as a moderato (or it could have been something else).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@LordTheNightKnight: I don't really think pointing out anyone in this thread as a fanboy was really the intention of the original poster.

It was a funny and mostly true piece. We all know who the fanboys are around here. Do we really need to point them out?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.