By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo - Should I get the Switch 2 now or wait for a new model?

 

Should I?

Get it now 3 100.00%
 
Wait for new model 0 0%
 
Total:3

I'm conflicted. On one hand I kinda want to get it now since we don't know if there will be any drastic price increases considering how shit the market has been lately. Then again its been out over a year now and we're due a new model, preferably one with an OLED screen and better battery life.

What do you guys think?



Around the Network

It's going to be some time before a new model comes out so, unless you want to wait a long time and then play catch up, I'd just get it now and enjoy it. If you really, really want the new model when it does drop, you can just sell yours and pay the little up-charge when the time comes.



I would say get one now; given the horrendous market conditions, it could be a long time til there's a new model, and in the meantime the price could go up again.

As Jack says, you can always trade it in for an upgrade if a new model comes out years down the line.



Honestly? I've seen conflicting info. Some grumblings point toward an OLED model dropping next year, though with the current state of the economy, I kind of find it hard to believe. FWIW my generally philosophy has always been "Is it worth putting down the extra money now to get [X] now and enjoy it for potentially several extra years, or am I find living without [X] until the newer model releases?" I stuck with my OG Switch 1 all the way until TotK released, I held off on the OLED for some time; meanwhile Switch 2 and, most recently, the iPhone Duo were Day One purchases.



Wouldn't be more rational that the next model will be a lite model, to also offset the effect from price hike?
Given that, how much willing are you to wait before the oled one arrival to touch the new new mario kart for example? How much interested are you in gaming on TV? 
NS2 screen is like night and day with OG Ns screen, way better quality despite not being oled.

Forgot it, for me it's inconveniently large, hence I cross my fingers lite form to be able to connect on TV for this time , but I feel it well remain a dream. 

Last edited by tak13 - 3 hours ago

Around the Network

It's getting jailbroken.......so yes lol



Get one now. If an OLED comes out later trade in your current one and get a discount. Get one now before the price skyrockets.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Next model will most likely be a Switch 2 Lite. If that is what you want at a slightly cheaper price then wait, otherwise get one now. Prices may rise again.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Can't predict for certain but a Lite is probably less likely than an OLED revision at this point I would say. The reason is die shrinks cost a premium in this AI tapped out environment. They probably need a die shrink to make a Lite possible.

An OLED screen doesn't have anything to do with supply of chips or RAM or memory, but chip lines are definitely going up in price.

I would say there's a 50-50 chance of an OLED model next year simply because of what I just stated above. A different is something that's actually managable for Nintendo ... a die shrink ... depends on whether Samsung is willing to be nice and offer basically a chip redesign for no additional cost or even less ... which seems very unlikely given where everything chip related is going these days.

Yes, the Switch 1 did XYZ ... the Switch 1 also not in the middle of an AI build out that has caused all processors to skyrocket in price.

That said even if there is an OLED model next year, it's likely that will be at least $100 more than the current model, maybe $150 more. My reccomenndation would be to try and snag the Zelda: OoT Switch 2 models releasing this year. That way you can enjoy the system soon and because it's a Zelda collector's edition (basically) of a very beloved game ... that model will probably retain its price or even go up in price on the collector's market in the future. 

So if you really want to trade it in for a new Switch 2 model, well then, there ya go.